Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OMG, another 6MT conversion thread.

That's a bummer...you should be able to find a used one with a little searching...

Good thing that nubcake never sleeps...he did a great tune on mine and will certainly help you get sorted once you get the hardware situated.

Glad to hear that you like the car so far!

I suppose I could sell my spare. I know you messaged me earlier, but shoot me a PM w/ offer

Thanks @jolio1994 - hang on to it for now. @nubcake is attempting to source one also - and I'm also exploring the path to restoring the ECU to OEM spec. I've got a couple of the AM29F800BB CMOS chips on the way (cheap as they are 20+ years old tech now) and with those, all I need to do is find someone w/surface-mount soldering skills. I'll have a better idea of where I'm standing in a few days.
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL

So I realized a few days ago that my A6 2.7t 6 speed that I've been trying to sell has never really run at it's full potential until yesterday...had intermittent EGT issues throwing it into limp. Got that fixed and now running a strong stage 1+....you are going to absolutely love the RS6 on the manual!

Really makes me re-think selling my A6 donor now, but I've committed to a buyer and I don't want to be that guy. I won't be able to get it through emissions and he's from a neighboring state without any emissions laws (WVA)...if he doesn't buy it, I'm parting it and keeping the 6 speed stuff when my emissions extensions run out!

Back at it. @Nubcake was able to source a replacement ECU - received it a couple of days ago. Flashed with his base map, and we're out driving again. Nice!

https://youtu.be/DNzdIM8QhbA

Really like how it feels. Sorted.
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL

Things were going so well, until things didn't.

On the drive back home (see above). This happened

Gave it the wellies a bit on a short stretch and as soon as came-off-the-gas, the car choked and stalled. Lost all power. Coasted to a stop, started and it went into a lumpy reluctant idle. Gave it gas and it just wanted to stall. The country road was narrow and with no shoulder. So, here we are stranded in the road. Sucks.

It seemed symptomatic of a big air leak. Like a charge hose came off a turbo. It was hard to tell, but a visual inspection on the road didn't reveal anything.

After getting the car home on a trailer, eventually discovered this using an endoscope camera:

What you see there is an acorn wedged into the butterfly flap of the throttle body.

AN ACORN !!??

Well, that explained a lot.

Getting it out meant getting it into service position - bah.

With the throttle body removed...

Yup, two more in the intake.

Extracted all the acorns, back together and all is ok.

I'm having a hard job explaining how those got in there. All I can think may have happened is that a rodent stored a few acorns in one of the intercoolers while I had the car disassembled. And then, under pressure/vacuum they got sucked into the manifold through the throttle body when WOT. Kinda made me want to go on a rodent hunting revenge mission.

Also explains what I thought was a lifter tick. Nope, just acorns bouncing around in the intake manifold.
    (acorns gone, so has the tick). heh.

Amazing.

So, lesson learned. Must get cats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7927_Sm.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	19108   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9958_sm.jpg 
Views:	794 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	19109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7937_sm.jpg 
Views:	814 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	19110  

Wow man, that could have been much worse.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I think I'd still do a compression check on all cylinders to make sure the valves are fine. 40 valves out there to damage.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Geez...that's nuts! Glad it was a simple fix...I'm sure your heart was in your shorts for a few hours though...

Quote Originally Posted by kruat View Post
    Wow man, that could have been much worse.
    Yes. I consider myself lucky. Hard to know what would have happened if an acorn had made its way into a valve port. As best as we could, we used the camera to view into each of the ports, and also into the intercooler cavities (on the cold side) to check for any additional acorns - it all came out clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
    Geez...that's nuts! Glad it was a simple fix...I'm sure your heart was in your shorts for a few hours though...
    Yeah, that's kinda an understatement.

@Muggy, BTW - selling the donor? What, with permission from the wife to get more working space - essentially, all lights green - and you go and get rid of the parts bin !!??

Quote Originally Posted by hahnmgh63 View Post
    I think I'd still do a compression check on all cylinders to make sure the valves are fine. 40 valves out there to damage.
    That's very good advice - and something that I should do regardless. I can tell you that after clearing the acorns on Sunday, I have put close to 300miles on the car (including a round trip to Sacramento resulting in the purchase of another project car - a Porsche 928 - oops) and all feels fine.

A few general comments regarding my experience so far with a Ringer Racing Stage 4 Clutch (non-puck):

I had posted earlier my first initial thoughts on the clutch stating that it was not too harsh and would probably be fine as a daily as it felt quite similar to the stock clutch feel on my RS4. I don't know what I was thinking, and I take that back. I put a lot of miles on the car yesterday, and today I ventured into San Francisco city traffic (hills, lots of stop-and-go etc) - and it has been difficult. I am doing my best to observe break-in protocol - not exceeding 3500-4000 rpm, rev matching on shift, not loading on low rpm, etc - and for the most part I've been a very good boy. I am experiencing shudder at launch - and also when slowing below 1200 rpm in second. Feathering the clutch (or slipping the clutch) is almost impossible. It is just so grabby. It seems like as soon as the clutch plate finds the flywheel, it bites hard. Fast shifts in higher gears and higher rpms are fine - its just while at low rpm and in low gear.

To summarize: it's hard work.

A question for those with stage 3 or 4 clutch kits. Did you experience this? Does it it get better? When?

I had the Ringer Racing Stage 4+ as well and while it was never able to hold the full tq (due to my poor break in procedure) it was amazing; so great that I bought another one for my current build.

I'd say the first 1000 miles it shutter and engage rather harshly, but after that it was glorious. My father has a B5 S4 on K24's and some clutch he bought from SoloMotorsports and theres no comparison. He actually bought one he liked it so much and will be installing it on my next venture home.

I will add that I've had the RS4 clutch and even a Southbend Stage 2+ on my K04 B5 S4, and the Ringer Racing was less bite'y, smoother, and softer... almost as soft as a stock B5 S4.

My AMD Stage 3+ has an 8-puck ceramic disk, and it's always been grabby with shudder at launch. Over time, it has improved, but I'm at 7K+ miles, and it's still not anywhere near smooth. Hopefully the Ringer Racing clutch will improve over time since I was seriously considering using it at some point in the future.

nice project, I'm just about to embark on a manual conversion too.

Well, it’s been a couple of weeks since checking in here – and during that time I’ve driven the RS6 a good 1500+ miles (including a round trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles, taking in Sacramento and other parts of the central valley). I’d say that she’s pretty well bedded-in and the conversion was a success.

I’ve been meaning to compile a comprehensive re-cap of the conversion paying attention to the gotcha’s and head-scratchers that might be useful to those considering the process – and I will do so. In the meantime, I’m happy to say that the clutch has settled down a bit. It’s still very grabby, and it still requires focus at launch – but it’s not as harsh as it was at the outset. This is consistent with comments above from @jolio1994 and @GreggPDX. I expect that it will continue to settle in. The grabby nature of the clutch was to be expected and is only really is a pain at launch. Once moving, rowing is easy and feels ‘stock’.

So much better with a stick - don't you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0051_sm.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	19125  

Glad to hear!

I was in Bakersfield this past week! Damn, you couldn't have asked for better driving weather

hey redwoodkiwi, thanks for you effort. just wondering when will your recap and tips available to share with us?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by parkertseng View Post
    hey redwoodkiwi, thanks for you effort. just wondering when will your recap and tips available to share with us?
    Thanks
    X2! I can possibly see mine going this route in a year or so...I want to be sure that my refresh efforts are all correct and I can drive & enjoy the car for a while before starting on another major project. Between yours, Jolio's, SteveKen's, and a few others, this info is really invaluable when documenting thoroughly.... thanks to all for sharing!