Long time lurker - and, after a few false starts, now an actual member (thank you Erik for letting me through the net).

I recently added a Daytona RS6 C5 to the fleet. Beautifully maintained by the previous owner - but he decided he wanted out when he got the quote to repair the failing transmission. So, because I don’t have enough projects (sarcasm), I acquired the beast thinking that it would be an ideal candidate for a 6MT conversion.

These pics taken in August – at time of acquisition.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9069_sm.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	19001Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9068_sm.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	19002Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9076_sm.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	102.2 KB 
ID:	19000

Over the last couple of months, it has been sitting in the garage while I research, collect the necessary parts, and find the confidence to begin the task.

Full disclosure: I barely know what I am doing. Despite owning and driving Audi’s for the last 20 years, I have spent little time beneath the hood. That said, during the last year, I have been learning my way around the 2.7T C5 platform (as I have a C5 A6 build in Lemons race-spec, and an Allroad daily beater) – but I don’t know the RS6 at all.

It looks like several members have already accomplished the task and I have learned a lot, and found inspiration, from those that have documented their experience in the conversion. I plan on doing the same, as I fully expect to encounter the need for help and guidance.

I think I have most of the parts needed, save a few seals, etc. I am using the adapter kit from Steve Kendrish, the transmission (01E and various other driveline bits’n’bobs) I acquired from audis4parts, and I decided upon the Ringer Racing stage 4 clutch.

I started the process in earnest the weekend before last. Got the motor and trans out. Took me the best part of two days working alone, and I realize now that I should have just brought it out on the subframe. But I didn’t.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9594_sm.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	19005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9610_sm.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	19003Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9609_sm.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	19004

No turning back now.