Thread: OMG, another 6MT conversion thread.

Hybrid View

Thanks for the braindump @GreggPDX - all good advice. Thanks for validating my inclination on the rear seal - that's exactly my worry (that messing with it might induce a problem).

re: SAI and emissions. I'm in CA, and emissions are pretty strictly monitored here. Checking via OBD is the method, and I expect that visual checking is a requirement of the state too. That said, my observations of the emission techs actually performing the visual is hit-and-miss. I suspect that if you drive up with a car that looks modified (think slammed civic with 3inch tips) then you are more than likely going to be subjected to a thorough visual. If, on the other hand, you drive up in a well groomed executive sedan, then you might just get a cursory look over. Perhaps that's just wishful thinking, but I have had recent experiences showing up in 2.7T's with cheaters on the rear 02's (to mask failing cat efficiency codes) and passed with no issues.

I am inclined to remove the SAI plumbing to recover the space (as you suggest) - but I am still not decided on what to do with the downpipes/exhaust. One thought is to put away the stock downpipes (hanging on to them in case I need to restore stock hardware for emission compliance at a later date) and to use some thing like these in their place - while retaining stock exhaust downstream.

re: recessed manifold fasteners: So, they are 12mm? And you managed to find a thin-wall socket to fit? I just had two thin-wall alternatives arrive today from AMZN - and neither fit. What brand do you have?

And, no, I do not have the Elsa-win manuals. Off searching now.

BTW: Stephen Kendrish introduced me to a tuner - Alex - of whom, I began an email dialogue with a couple of months back (and with me promising to be back in touch when I got nearer to completing the conversion). Wondering if nubcake and Alex are one and the same?
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL

The manifold socket is 12mm, and I'm not sure the brand. They are only marked 'Taiwan" and I'm sure it came form some cheap set I acquired over the years. I think being 1/4" drive and light duty is the reason it's so thin. You might try putting one of your sockets on a drill or impact and sanding/grinding the outside diameter down a bit to get it to fit. If nothing else, I'd be happy to ship mine down.

I'm not familiar with those downpipes, it would be interesting to see how they fit. The price is definitely good! The driver's side upper O2 sensor and shift linkage are very cozy with the stock pipes, so hard to say if the aftermarket pipes would be better or worse. I kept the stock pipes and gutted the pre-cats, which is generally accepted to be good enough for stock turbos. Gutting the pre-cats necessitates the O2 cheaters, and the placement of the sensors on those ebay pipes looks like they need the cheaters as well.

And Yes, Alex is the right tuner, you are in good hands with him.