Thread: OMG, another 6MT conversion thread.

Hybrid View

Excellent. I'm really appreciating and enjoying the advice from all. Respect!

You lads are getting me a little worried about the emission situation though. I will send Nubcake a note and get his POV on the SAi delete. Depending upon the outcome of that conversation will determine whether or not I'll get those downpipes.

re: Manifold fasteners. They are definitely not hex keyed. That would be smart and make things so much easier for sure. I wonder if that is what @GreggPDX is referring to when he mentions the newer design (above)?

re: RMS. Ok, that's 2 for not. So, not doing it.
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodkiwi View Post
    re: Manifold fasteners. They are definitely not hex keyed. That would be smart and make things so much easier for sure. I wonder if that is what @GreggPDX is referring to when he mentions the newer design (above)?
    I just pulled these fasteners off my spare block. 7mm hex socket. If you have something different it's something I haven't come across one these motors and I'm really curious.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MLIPyWjh.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	19013
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q0xsGw0h.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	19014

Edit: I soaked the set that went on BCY #2 in vinegar for a few days. Shaking occasionally. Really cleaned up the built up corrosion.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Yeah the old style has both inner and outer hex. @redwoodkiwi, it's possible that the inner hex is stripped out on yours.

The new style is much longer and actually sticks out beyond the manifold, so it's a lot easier to get wrench on it:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ch/077253158a/

Regarding the SAI, nubcake can definitely code around it to make it pass the readiness test, even with all the hardware removed. We did that on my car. The visual test is the real problem. Removing and replacing the pump is easy, so it would certainly be possible to temporarily reinstall it for a visual test. The plumbing behind the heads is much harder to remove/replace with the engine installed, so if the visual test was thorough enough to check that, it would be a problem.

If you choose to leave the system intact, then there is no point in coding it out, it doesn't do anything that affects performance.

@bethridg @GreggPDX - You are both, indeed, correct. The manifold recessed fasteners are 7mm hex. However, on the passenger manifold I cannot get purchase - a 7mm hex key just spins in both of the recessed fasteners. Someone has been here before me and stripped them both good (odd, because the manifolds do not look like they have ever been off and no service record suggest that they have). I get purchase just fine on the drivers side. This is a problem, as a need the manifold off. This afternoon I installed the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch and then moved on to the starter. The starter will not come close to mating because of a bracket that secures a coolant and oil return line occupies the same space that the starter solenoid wants to have. To modify necessitates the removal of the manifold. Bah. This weekend I'll get to grinding down a 12mm socket in an attempt to get it on the outer hex as per @GreggPDX's suggestion.
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL

After getting a little discouraged with the starter situation, I moved on to something that could give some immediate gratification...

Got this from JHM - a 4:1 ratio center differential.

And, into the ass-end of the 01E she goes..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9690_sm.jpg 
Views:	1056 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	19015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9692_sm.jpg 
Views:	1001 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	19016