Thread: EGT Sensor info and easy fix (old news)

EGT Sensor info and easy fix (old news)

I have had a EGT code since I purchased the RS6, it was only a soft code, no CEL.

17861 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235)
    P1453 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

The EGT probes normally do not fail, it is the electronics in the Black (drivers bank 2) and Brown (pass bank 1) boxes. More specifically, the solder joints crack.

If you have original sensors, it is pretty simple to fix; pry off the covers using a small screwdriver and then reflow 5 solder joints with a good soldering iron. Original boxes are filled with a jelly substance, you can push the solder iron through the jelly and reflow the solder pads.

If you have newer sensors, you may have issues, the box is filled with black potting. You will have to scrape out this potting to access the solder joints.

When finished you can clear your codes with Vagcom, and run for a few days and recheck the codes. If all is well, use your favorite adheasive to put the covers back on the EGT boxes.

You can tell if you have original or newer sensors by looking at the date code on the box covers. If they are newer than your build year you have had the sensors replaced at some point. For Example 08/03 would be original for a USA car.

In addition, you may be tempted to buy S4 or A6 2.7TT sensors, these are NOT the same as RS6 sensors. RS6 sensors are a wideband type that read from -40 to 1100 deg C, S4 or A6 2.7TT sensors read from 945 deg C and up.

RS6 Part#s
    077919529K (left, Brown, Bank 1)
    077919529E (right, Black, Bank 2)
    077998124 Kit (both)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	egt8.jpg 
Views:	1696 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	15317
    Picture is a represantation, yours may look different inside, but solder locations will be the same.
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Great Info

Thanks for the details. Always good information.

From an image of the engine bay, locate number 12 and 13 in the one below:

Thanks Nene, EGT Boxes seen here;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finishengine.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	15318
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Thanks for this info mark. Very good. Also didn't know about a "wideband " type of get sensor.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Thank you marklar182. My RS6 had a check engine light due to a failed EGT. I thought I'd have to pay for an engine drop to change the sensors. However, I followed the instructions here and all is good now!

Glad to hear it, site is beyond most once again...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thread is a few years old but certainly no less relevant... can anyone advise on the type of solder recommended? Is basic 60Sn/40Pb acceptable? I'm not an electrician so I'm coming at this cold, but would like to give it a shot before shelling out!