Thread: RS6 front bumper mystery attachment hardware

RS6 front bumper mystery attachment hardware

I'm fresh out of leads in figuring out the missing hardware pictured -- three "holes" with inserts that look like they should take some sort of fastening hardware, missing when I bought it (sorry for the sideways close up photos... that's how they uploaded). The attached diagram shows Item 2A: “Fasteners” (4B3807739), and Item 33: “Retaining Plate Receiver For Radio-Wave Clock Pop-Rivet” (N 90659001). But the inserts don't look like they take pop rivets, and that seems counterintuitive since the bumper needs to be removed for belt work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	18993Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1941.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	18995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1942.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	18996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1943.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	18997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Front Bumper.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	18994

The Audi dealership says that they couldn't identify what was needed to put something in the three missing spots -- mine appear to have wear marks from hardware, but Audi's line was that it could be hardware intended for the A6 that doesn't translate... Can someone with installed fasteners let me know what they might be? Thank you in advance!

Bumper and front reinforcement bar don't need to come apart, when you take them off. Instead, you undo 2 long bolts from below (#32 in the catalog pic).
    So my guess is somebody didn't know that and drilled the rivets out without replacing them.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Bumper and front reinforcement bar don't need to come apart, when you take them off. Instead, you undo 2 long bolts from below (#32 in the catalog pic).
    So my guess is somebody didn't know that and drilled the rivets out without replacing them.
    Many thanks for that explanation; makes perfect sense! Based on your experience, would it be possible to reinstall the rivets with the front end assembled?

What he said. On the newer Audi's the bumper comes off with the re-inforcement bar still bolted on but on the RS6 C5 the bar comes off with the bumper.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Can someone tell me the number of rivets (33) and fasteners (2A) that are used to join the bumper to the reinforcement bar? I can see three, but there could be more out of view... Bumper is coming off for a repair and I'd like to get them properly rejoined.