Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: uRS6+ Build

I finished up the passenger side mount, and the engine is all bolted down and what not. Now to wait for Black Friday turbo sales and hopefully even an exhaust manifold kit sale.

2019-11-25_10-40-31 by Joel Francisco

Little small kinda big update, but will add when I get everything in; Black Friday was very kind to me.

Two Mishimoto 12" Slim fans
    Mishimoto 19 Row Oil-Cooler
    Mishimoto R-Line Intercooler (Big Boy)
    Tial 44mm MVR Wastegate
    Tial Sport Q BOV
    Stainless 304 Audi 4.2 Exhaust Turbo Header Kit
    Dual Ball Bearing Billet T76 T4 .81 A/R Turbo

I love your updates, man. You're absolutely mad, and it's absolutely awesome! Keep us updated!

Haha thanks man. Turbo, wastegate, bov, and exhaust piping are all in so I'll start fabrication of the exhaust manifolds very soon.

2019-12-03_09-33-02 by Joel Francisco

Mini update.

Driverside manifold is tact'd up. If the passenger side comes out any better I may end up redoing it. It's a step in the right direction.

20191213_160710 by Joel Francisco
    20191213_161026 by Joel Francisco

Someone needs to do this to their C5 please! That'd be ever sweeter!

20191216_171609 by Joel Francisco
    20191216_171219 by Joel Francisco
    20191216_171239 by Joel Francisco

So... some more progress! Rolled the car out for the sake of the wheel bearings and brakes and decided why not put the turbo on it.
    2019-12-19_01-48-35 by Joel Francisco

The driverside manifold is welded save the collector star and a little bit more of the collector I couldn't reach. Passenger side is 1/2 done, but I ran out of gas. I'm thinking maybe I'll MIG what I can't get with the TIG? I also need to get some steel plate to weld the flanges, but no gas, no rush...
    20191220_134700 by Joel Francisco

Starting to get somewhere now and I love it haha. Probably weld everything up tomorrow and then I don't know what to do after that... I didn't think I'd make it this far.

20191229_194536 by Joel Francisco
    20191229_203908 by Joel Francisco

The front end is on and it looks like I'll be needing a new radiator with 29"x19"x2" dimensions along with the inlet and outlets on the passenger side. I'll try and find a suitable one tomorrow, but in the meantime it's onto the intercooler piping

IMG_20200102_162518_607 by Joel Francisco
    2020-01-02_04-36-34 by Joel Francisco

So I think I've got this cooling system ironed out, using the stock URS4/6 expansion tank. The stock URS4/6 radiator is 29" in length and the standard S6/RS6 radiator is 32". A bit too long. I'll be using this guy right here https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bci-35024 from Summit which should fit in rather nicely.

Here's what I have to deal with and how I plan on setting up the cooling system using resources I found online thanks to SteveKen. I'll have to make my own shroud, but there is about 5" between where the radiator sits to the serpentine belt. Plenty of room to work with; after all the name of the game is ease of serviceability.

(I'm a visual person so until I see it layed out, I can't really picture it in my head)

20200103_183146 by Joel Francisco
    Coolant by Joel Francisco
    20200103_193553 by Joel Francisco

Huge respect for you taking this project on. Enjoying your posts and amazed with your progress given the limited resources you have at your disposal.

I had thought, though, that the snail placement you've chosen was just for proof of concept. But, it looks like you are committing to it. I'm sure you considered every possibility - but is that really the only place it can go? Kills any prospect of being a sleeper (not that that is what you are necessarily going for). Although, on the flip-side, it does immediately offer a great statement piece and an interesting view from the cockpit.

I've read about rear installed turbos (a lot of plumbing is required, but a positive is that it eliminates the need for an intercooler due to the ambient cooling that occurs naturally by distance). Wondering if that might have been a possibility for you (turbo installed in spare wheel wheel)?
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL

Quote Originally Posted by redwoodkiwi View Post
    Huge respect for you taking this project on. Enjoying your posts and amazed with your progress given the limited resources you have at your disposal.

I had thought, though, that the snail placement you've chosen was just for proof of concept. But, it looks like you are committing to it. I'm sure you considered every possibility - but is that really the only place it can go? Kills any prospect of being a sleeper (not that that is what you are necessarily going for). Although, on the flip-side, it does immediately offer a great statement piece and an interesting view from the cockpit.

I've read about rear installed turbos (a lot of plumbing is required, but a positive is that it eliminates the need for an intercooler due to the ambient cooling that occurs naturally by distance). Wondering if that might have been a possibility for you (turbo installed in spare wheel wheel)?
    There's plenty of room in the engine bay.
    This design decision was deliberate, I think.

I considered a lot of different turbo locations. In fact, Nubcake's original post to use the 40v NA manifolds for simplicity and keeping the turbo under the hood similar to the B5 S4 Single Turbo Kits was by far the smartest thing I could've done. Unfortunately with the C4 chassis, an up-pipe would've immediately hit the tie rods, so that idea was scrapped.

Like you said, I'm very limited on resources; the main of which being skill and knowledge so I chose for the next easiest thing which was to just run a collector on either side and a y pipe to the turbo on top. The main goal of this project was to revolve around serviceability and ease to work on. It's sitting about 2" higher than I originally planned, but that's because I decided to reduce the piping down from 3" to 2.5" immediately after the collector to reduce turbo lag.

Had I ran twins there would've been plenty of room on either side for smaller snails, but with this 76mm, there would've been very limited room and I would have had to relocate the fuel filter and severely modify the headlight. Doing a remote setup would've been possible, but would've required a lot more fabrication than I had originally opted for.

While it's not in everybodies best taste, it's what I have to work with and I enjoy the view. And I'll drop a picture of the NA manifolds so you know this was my best option haha

20191104_150840 by Joel Francisco

Totally understand. Loving that you are embracing it and loving watching your build unfold.
    Audi RS4 B7, Audi RS6 C5, Audi Allroad 2.7T C5, Audi S4 Cab 4.2L 6MT B6, Audi A6 6MT 2.7T C5, '77 Mercedes 450SEL

Got in the Dual Pass Radiator so I went ahead and made some brakes to fit in the stock location as well as the bracket for the intercooler. Coupe more small things to order in the meantime such as coupling reducers for the intake, and power steering / oil / coolant AN lines + fittings. I'm super stoked to begin the harness integration for the ECU, OBD2, and the throttle pedal; wiring fun -> fabricating not.

20200110_150700 by Joel Francisco

Coming together for sure!
    What are your plans for a hood?

Not sure yet. I'm going over a few things in my head right now. Not sure if I want to use the stock brackets to open and close the hood or have 4 hood pins on either corner. That later would mean less cutting as it'd simply drop down straight on top of everything.

Been a little lazy lately. The build is starting to take a toll on me as I've been slowing down; I've been looking at R32 GTS-T's as a fun car to have in between, but we both know if that happens, I'll never finish this. So, pushing ahead. Intercooler piping is done. Engine's back out so I can make some adjustments to the engine bay. Things to do with the engine out:

-Cut/adjust the motor mount brackets to allow 2" of hockey-pucks
    -Relocate ABS controller about 4" lower and make a bracket to hold it
    -Reinforce subframe
    -Finish welding exhaust Y-Pipe, including wastegate provision.
    -Install flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate

Then I'll get the engine back in the car. From there there's not a whole lot I have to do before I can test fire:

-Run the oil lines and oil cooler
    -Integrate the stock 7.1.1 ECU and harness with electronic throttle and OBD2
    -Mount the throttle pedal

Then I can make some loud noises.

20200119_154426 by Joel Francisco
    20200119_154442 by Joel Francisco
    20200119_164735 by Joel Francisco