Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: uRS6+ Build

Hybrid View

uRS6+ Build

Hey guys, me again...

A few months ago I made the mistake of buying a '95 Avant. It's became apparent that one or the other needs to go and I can't quite sell the URS6... so with that said I'm going to go for best of both worlds if you will. I think you know where this is going.

105,xxx BCY engine w/ custom frame rail mounting brackets
    Stock Motronic 7.1.1 and Engine Harness Integrated into the C4 chassis
    Custom Tubular headers with a top mounted Precision 6766 Turbo
    SteveKen Manual Trans Adapter Kit
    Ringer Racing Stage 4+ Clutch (I really love the feel of mine however, this time I will properly break it in) Haha
    HPX MAF

I've posted this on a few older chassis forums, but this is where I need your BCY expertise as the goal is 700-800hp. Here's what I'm iffy about and maybe you guys can give me some feedback.

Twin Walbro 450 Fuel Pumps
    1000cc injectors
    Stock fuel rail
    For a journal bearing 6766, will an oil reducer be necessary?

I plan on having the power delivery coming on smoothly on the right end of the power curve to help prevent not throwing a rod. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

I pulled the stock AAN out of the URS6 last Sunday.
    On Monday I dove 7 hours to Pennsylvania to pick up the engine, harness, and ECU

Removed the flex plate and crank plug, and set it up on the engine stand to perform some timing maintenance. Next on the list is I need to get another adapter plate so I can bolt it up to the 01e in the car, and get it mounted. This will happen after I sell the RS6.
    And yes, the turbo will be sticking out of the hood...

Look at all that room in the engine bay!!!

2019-06-24_03-16-19 by Joel Francisco
    20190914_164715 by Joel Francisco
    20190915_194829 by Joel Francisco
    20190915_194852 by Joel Francisco
    20190915_201407 by Joel Francisco
    20190916_165154 by Joel Francisco
    20190919_174938 by Joel Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by jolio1994 View Post
    Custom Tubular headers with a top mounted Precision 6766 Turbo
    If you want the thing to be remotely reliable - do yourself a favor and pick up a set of S6/S8/A8 NA exhast manifolds and just elbow off of that. Custom made tubular stuff tends to crack really quickly and doesn't give any real benefit.

For a journal bearing 6766, will an oil reducer be necessary?
    No, if you feed with AN3 from a stock banjo. Maybe even AN4 can work as is.

I plan on having the power delivery coming on smoothly on the right end of the power curve to help prevent not throwing a rod. Feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Stock rods live just fine at 25+ psi on small peaky hybrids. You'll be fine with any power delivery with a big turbo (it's naturally smoother acting), as long as it's properly tuned (and fueled!) and doesn't knock. Talking gasoline ofc.

Twin Walbro 450 Fuel Pumps
    Twins = overkill, unless you go E85.

yes, the turbo will be sticking out of the hood...
    I don't like this.
    Comes down to personal preference ofc, and you're free to do whatever as it's your car. But to me the whole idea of such build is to have a "sleeper", that can surprise everyone with sudden 700+hp.

Wow super cool, I just saw your RS6 6 speed build thread on Audizine, looks like you're persistent & mean business! So I understand correctly you are planning on installing the RS6 BCY mated up to very large turbos into the C4 Avant shell? If I understand correctly that sounds awesome I've always liked the C4 platform & keep an eye open for them for sale online .

I do agree w/ nubcake on the stealth mode benefit of not having the turbo popping out of the hood tho, can you engineer it to blow out the bottom or even sides and make modifications to fenders if necessary?

Finally once you pull it off & I have full faith invested in you, can you build this one for me using a BCY core?

https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...i-S-6-for-sale
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

Hey man, thanks for the info. Other than the sound difference by going Tubular I cant really think of a need for it aswell. It was just something I considered, as I wasnt 100% sure on the flow limitations of those manifolds... I like the idea of running the cast manifolds and running an up-pipe similar to the B5 S4 034 Motorsports STK kit.

Very happy to hear I can get away with 1 450 pump, if e85 was readily available, I'd go that route in a heartbeat... for now I will stick with 93 oct.

Assuming the remainder of my questions that didnt get answered are all spot on and right where I need to be?

Assuming the remainder of my questions that didnt get answered are all spot on and right where I need to be?
    Didn't notice many questions, rather just statements of what you'll be using.

No experience with the clutch, so no comments there.
    1000cc injectors are overkill for pump, but will work fine.
    Stock rails should be just fine.
    Never used HPX either, so can't say much either. Stock setup uses twins, as you know - so your tuner has to be able to account for twins -> single. Same goes for fueling, need to disable fuel pump controller. Also single lambda conversion, fans etc.

Thanks Nub,

I really appreciate the input, that's why I posted this here in the first place!

For me it's going to come down to heat extraction. I will be running a single radiator up front with a few fans, and want to get as much heat out of the bay as possible. Having the turbo sitting up higher and 1/2 out the hood seems like a great way to do this, but we'll see! It looks like the V8 will sit substantially lower than the 5 cylinder did so I may have more room to work with than I think ATM.

First update of the build!

Hoping for this, but out the hood and right next to my face
    GoPro on my RS6 was a win tonight.

20191002_002953 by Joel Francisco

Well this engine was absolutely filthy. Took an air gun and some brake cleaner and hit the valley real quick, will take care of the heavy duty degreaser later on down the road... maybe paint it too? We'll see.

Reason for this post is I need some info so I can start planning some stuff out. 1st'ly the radiator. C5 RS6 radiator uses 3 coolant ports with one port coming from the coolant circulation valve. Is this possible to bypass at the aux water pump I have highlighted? Again, this build is going to have the words "simplicity" thrown around and if I can run an aftermarket 3 row radiator as opposed to the stock 2 row, I'd love it.

2nd'ly (I'm just making these up...) Who here has a pinout of the engine harness to body harness? Gonna need that for sure.... There's this guide -> [URL=http://https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/701197-Audi-C5-A6-S6-4-2-V8-40V-ECU-Pin-Outs[/URL] but is all 7.1.1 the same? Nothing on the chassis deals with boost from the BCY correct? That's about it for now I guess... Still have that damn RS6 so I will continue to wait for now lol

20191003_074911 by Joel Francisco
    20191003_074942 by Joel Francisco

Is this possible to bypass at the aux water pump I have highlighted?
    Your planned turbo is air cooled, no water.
    So you'll have to delete aux pump & afterrun system.
    It's sole purpose is to cool the turbos after shut-off to prevent oil coking.

Can't tell you off the top of my head what exactly needs to be deleted/rerouted, but I touched this subject a few times here. Try searching.

If you don't go top mount after all, I would love to hear how the BCY sounds on that Stromung exhaust! Those things are absolutely glorious on an AAN, and I can't recall how much, but I know mine was more than $3k, maybe close to $4k.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaGLi16v View Post
    how the BCY sounds on that Stromung exhaust
    ...restricted

The new owner of the RS6 came by Friday and drove it 3 hours home, he had nothing but great things to say about it; very happy it went to a great home. Now I can dive deeper into the URS6. I already had the Ringer Racing Stage 4+ Clutch come in, so my next purchase will be the Stevenken Adapter Kit; probably later on this week I'll order it.

I did pick up that A6 (Yes, another Blue 2.7T 6sp that'll serve as my donor for the electronic throttle pedal and OBD2 system. My dad is in need of a good 01e for his B5 S4 as well as a spare 2.7t that he can build on the side for when he throws a rod on his K24'd car. I'm going to give him both, but debating if I should pull it and freight it to him or just drive the car down to my parents house in GA and part it out down there, either way I'm hoping to get the "Son of the Year"Award lmao.

Moved the cars around today and pulled my back out trying to get the A6 to move with rusted e brake and a non functioning starter. Bad idea on my part.. but the S6 is in the garage now. Stevenken Adapter -> Bolt up to the 01e in the car -> Make some engine mounts.

20191021_102640 by Joel Francisco

The 40v N/A headers aren't going to clear the tie rods.. so I have no choice but to do the top mount with tubular headers.

The question for me now is... steel or stainless steel?

No easy answer.
    Mild steel is significantly cheaper, easier to weld, has better resistance against "temperature-induced" cracking due to lower expansion, but can rot.
    Stainless can crack very quickly, especially if not welded properly (or not allowed to expand, or carries a lot of weight, etc).

A few fellow enthusiast tagged me in a FB group when this engine was offered for sale. After some talking with the owner I ended up buying the whole car minus fenders, front bumper, seats, brakes, and carbon trim. The rest is still there and aside from the engine/harness/ecu will be for sale in the near future. I'm going to see if a delicately placed cut in the stock RS6 exhaust manifold will allow me to route up the back of the head as a last last resort to clear everything, if not the Stainless will be the direction I go, thanks for the input!

I'll be picking it up this weekend and I swear school seems like it's slowing down, maybe I'll even get the adapter plate in (still lost) and can finally make head-way on this URS6!

20191105_091519 by Joel Francisco

Picked up that RS6 last night and pulled the engine out today. URS6 progress is at a standstill until I can get that adapter plate in. Now I have an extra BCY 4.2 for when I blow up the O.G. one! Full partout is in the for sale section.
    20191110_114735 by Joel Francisco
    20191110_131736 by Joel Francisco
    20191110_154010 by Joel Francisco

Adapter plate came in today... I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

20191119_181022 by Joel Francisco

It kinda fits! Had to cut out the subframe, but it's in there! Practiced making an engine mount bracket and it came out pretty damn good I think. Full penetration on the first practice piece, it's solid as a rock. Yes I know I need more practice, but hey this entire project is a first for me. I'll be moving the plate down 2" on the final piece to add a bushing but:
    A. I'm still looking for something suitable (Any mounts that would work given the clearance would be greatly appreciated)
    B. I just need something to begin tubular header and turbo mock-up.

20191124_115220 by Joel Francisco
    20191124_134355 by Joel Francisco
    2019-11-24_09-18-54 by Joel Francisco
    20191124_200702 by Joel Francisco
    20191124_200714 by Joel Francisco
    20191124_201253 by Joel Francisco