Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doug DeMuro: "Here's Why the 2003 Audi RS6 Is Amazing and Horrible"

Hybrid View

Doug DeMuro: "Here's Why the 2003 Audi RS6 Is Amazing and Horrible"

He did not even know how to find the cup holders attached to the rear seat bench. What a tool.
    When you speak of the RS6, the same can be said for the E55 or the M5 for that period. These are high end cars and they cost a fortune to maintain. Every single one had issues, and you do what you can for what you love.

See the look on his face when he drove it? Priceless

lots of misinformation in his review. Typical

he was actually given my contact information to go over RS6 details but never called. No surprise

hello? Alcantera headliner?

hello? Cosworth hand built engine?

brakes? Two piece rotors

instead we watch him sit in the pass seat spewing blah blah

Also, the cupholder over the radio was not unique to that model or model year… I had the same one in my 2000 S4, pretty sure it was kind of a mainstay in Audi’s of that generation.

I actually liked it! I laughed out loud when I read the title!
    (My voltage regulator failed after I paid for the car with a check and got maybe 5 miles into my 250 mile drive home, and my DRC shit the bed 2 months into ownership, so it was a rough start for me, though these are all known issues.)

I did note the miss on the rear cup holders, that's the one I primarily use. I've already removed the armrest cupholder for additional storage space.
    He overstated the trans failures a bit, correct Dave? And, he could have mentioned that the DRC failure really just means you spend $2k for coilovers, but I can't fault him for that.

And to be honest, his overall assessment is exactly why I bought mine! Total sleeper with the heart of a lion. Yeah, it's going to be spendy to maintain, but nice things cost money. And, I'm optimistic that buying mine at $16k, I can have it for a long while or a short while and not lose much to depreciation at all.

And to Nene's point, all of these $70-100k cars that are 10+ years old can certainly cost you the resale value in maintenance on a bad year. But, you drive a car like this because it's f**** badass, not because it's a prudent financial decision. If that was the only reason to buy a car, a 4 year old Camry would be the only car anyone would buy! And, I think the RS has held the value better than most similar cars. 2001 S500's are running $3-7k on a quick ebay scan, and will have similar maintenance expense.

I had messaged with him on reddit earlier encouraging him to review the RS6. He also missed the rear power sunshade which I had pointed out to him as one of the quirks!

Overall, however, I think he gave it a good review. He seemed to really enjoy the car and highlighted a lot of things that make these cars fun and cool!

I've been watching Doug for a while and overall this was a pretty good review from him. He missed a few things and over-hyped the negatives, as is usual. The big dumb grin on his face while driving it should tell you everything you need to know about the car!

So when are prices going to go up?

I found the review to be interesting. He referenced turbos failing too...
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Great review i thought, honest and unbiased.

He summed it up very well, a true enthusiasts car and why it is so special to so many.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    I found the review to be interesting. He referenced turbos failing too...
    I have had two of them, first totaled by my son at 125K miles and engine lives on in an Avant project, bullet proof. Current one has 143K miles, original turbos, no issue. I don' think turbo failure has been an issue for our cars. Now my S6, that's another story based on clogged oil screens.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Hi Papadoc!

Did your S6 experience turbo failure?

I have picked up a 13 S8 and promptly went straight to APR stage two. 700+

56k and original turbos on mine. I’m adding Motul oil flush before oil changes and changing every 5k. So far so good

your old beast still lives. Just about finished with the paint work. Been driving her around

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2145EF9A-E836-41E0-BD38-4A6AAB954411.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	18925

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    I have had two of them, first totaled by my son at 125K miles and engine lives on in an Avant project, bullet proof. Current one has 143K miles, original turbos, no issue. I don' think turbo failure has been an issue for our cars. Now my S6, that's another story based on clogged oil screens.

Hey Dave
    No, my S6 has been fine at 44K miles (ACES with each fill up) but on other forums that seems to be the most common problem with the C7 S cars. Debating going with the APR tune now, which seems the most reliable for the C7. I'm similarly not following the 10k oil change schedule from Audi, but the Motul oil flush is a good idea.
    The Avant project looks great, congrats on that!
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Yep, I like the Motul oil flush procedure.

Going to do it on the RS6 as well. Not every change but maybe every other.

Keeping with Aces on RS6s but with the shortened intervals on the S8 I’m going with Motul 5/40 8100 xcess.

APR is the best tune on the 4.0tt

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Hey Dave
    No, my S6 has been fine at 44K miles (ACES with each fill up) but on other forums that seems to be the most common problem with the C7 S cars. Debating going with the APR tune now, which seems the most reliable for the C7. I'm similarly not following the 10k oil change schedule from Audi, but the Motul oil flush is a good idea.
    The Avant project looks great, congrats on that!

I'll probably never forget the day way back in 2004/5 when I was on the 287 in New Jersey driving my 96 C36 AMG when I see this super wide Silver thing coming up crazy fast in my rear view mirror. It was my first ever encounter with an RS6 in the wild.

Mind you, in those days, these were very scarce to see on the road. I recall seeing one new in the showroom at Langan Porsche-Audi in Albany and couldn't believe the sticker price. The salesman mentioned how much more attention the RS6 got over the 996 Turbo parked next to it in the showroom.

DeMuro's description of those flares and seeing them on the road was spot on.
    2016 Porsche GT4- 918 buckets- Track Toy
    2014 Porche Cayenne S- Sport Chrono-Sport exhaust- 2015 E63 S AMG- Ténorise Gray-Black Nappa-

Yeah never heard about turbos failing on this car
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

Dave how many RS6s in your stable now? The Avant and the Avus sedan?

Yes, and the Avant is pending sale.

I’m looking RS4 route to go with the Avus.

S8 has spoiled me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmnair View Post
    Dave how many RS6s in your stable now? The Avant and the Avus sedan?