Thread: Removing the intake Manifold

Removing the intake Manifold

So will attempt to pull the intake manifold to replace the leaking gaskets as well as the diverter valves, check valves and the suction pump and hoses. Any tips or comments on this procedure. It seems a bit overwhelming, but steady as she goes (I guess).

Thanks

I've done it both in and out of the car. It's completely do-able in situ but you're going to have a ton of fun fighting with the tight quarters.

The MAF housing is bolted to the back of the intake with alignment pins and must be separated. Be gentle lifting the intake manifold. The after run pump wire harness is zip tied to the underside of the intake but must be disconnected first.

I highly recommend relocating the SJP to the firewall per Bigglezworth.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...ugh-idle/page2

Personally, I've left the check valves alone. They've always been in good condition in my experience.

**The while you're in there list**

Replace the after-run pump. 078121601B is for an A6/S4/Passat (re-use the rubber insulator/isolator from the RS6) otherwise you'll probably only find 077121599A which is the pump and RS6 specific bracket $$$.

Replace the PCV check valve/boot; 034 has a nice set.

Replace IAT sensor. 078906161 (BOSCH 0280130060)

Good time to replace aging vacuum lines with silicone if you haven't already.

Clean the inside of the intake thoroughly; it's likely caked with oil residue.

Don't make the mistake I did and assume the intake manifold gaskets are shared across the belt 4.2 40V line. They are specific to the RS6 077129717R.

Replace injector o-rings.
    Last edited by bethridg; April 5th, 2019 at 21:47. Reason: Remembering more stuff
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Thanks for the info. Where did you source the larger hoses (and any pre-bent elbows/sections) ?

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    I've done it both in and out of the car. It's completely do-able in situ but you're going to have a ton of fun fighting with the tight quarters.

The MAF housing is bolted to the back of the intake with alignment pins and must be separated. Be gentle lifting the intake manifold. The after run pump wire harness is zip tied to the underside of the intake but must be disconnected first.

I highly recommend relocating the SJP to the firewall per Bigglezworth.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...ugh-idle/page2

Personally, I've left the check valves alone. They've always been in good condition in my experience.

**The while you're in there list**

Replace the after-run pump. 078121601B is for an A6/S4/Passat (re-use the rubber insulator/isolator from the RS6) otherwise you'll probably only find 077121599A which is the pump and RS6 specific bracket $$$.

Replace the PCV check valve/boot; 034 has a nice set.

Replace IAT sensor. 078906161 (BOSCH 0280130060)

Good time to replace aging vacuum lines with silicone if you haven't already.

Clean the inside of the intake thoroughly; it's likely caked with oil residue.

Don't make the mistake I did and assume the intake manifold gaskets are shared across the belt 4.2 40V line. They are specific to the RS6 077129717R.

Replace injector o-rings.

You should be able to source the hose from any major auto parts store; in my case Autozone. It's just PCV hose but I don't recall the size. Actually, I believe the closest match for the smaller diameter hose ended up being fuel line. Take the SJP with you to find something with the closest ID. You'll need ~2ft of the larger diameter and ~3ft of the smaller diameter to be safe.

The larger diameter loops from the nipple on the bottom of the intake (which you will have to rotate 90+ deg, it's glued in...not threaded) to the hard-line with the kink. Smaller diameter hose comes out of the DV hard-line, crosses the intake and exits passed the MAF housing on the passenger side. Leave yourself enough hose to work with once you get everything back in the car. Re-use the OE 90 deg molded hose up top where the SJP enters the firewall. A length of large hose goes between the SJP and the hard-line exiting from underneath the intake on the drivers side. Relocate the check valve to the end of the hose exiting the intake on the passenger side; be mindful of the direction of flow indicated by the arrow on the valve. Attach a short length of hose between the other end of the check valve and the nipple on the side of the SJP.

Ha! Dug through some pictures and found the diameters. 15/32 PCV hose & 5/16 fuel hose. Take the SJP with you just in case
    Last edited by bethridg; April 6th, 2019 at 00:45.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Sent you a PM earlier today

Thanks