Thread: Front Plate Question

Hybrid View

Front Plate Question

One of my town's finest finally gave me a ticket for not displaying a front tag (and a bonus citation for back windows being tinted too dark... )
    My car doesn't have a front plate mounting, and who wants to drill into a face like this.

Anyway, could someone that has used a tow hook plate holder link me to what worked for you? I'm not real crazy about blocking the duct on that side, but maybe there other options I'm not thinking about?

Thanks!

Lookup magnet plate holders. Glue one set on inside of bumper.

https://www.google.com/search?q=magn...obile&ie=UTF-8
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Lookup magnet plate holders. Glue one set on inside of bumper.

https://www.google.com/search?q=magn...obile&ie=UTF-8
    That's a good option to look into, thanks!

Dave,
    I have my front license plate held with earth magnets. The hard part was getting them into the bumper, as this one has to come off.
    Make sure you account for magnet polarization in the process, otherwise you could have one side attract, and the other expel.

I started with the magnets on the plate holder. That made it easier once the bumper was off, as I used it in front of the bumper to hold the magnets that would go into the inside of the bumper in place, and allowed for no mistakes on polarization. Cover the magnets on the plate holder with some felt pads to ensure it won't cause any scratches while in contact with the bumper.

I hardly ever put it on after all that work, but I also don't drive my beast daily.

Another thing to consider. I would put some ferrous piece of metal inside the bumper if possible instead of magnets. Then if you run without the front plate you won't have to worry about any small metal debris getting picked up and stuck to your bumper that you would end up having to try to remove. Keep the magnets on the plate or the plate holder.

Also, if you are in need, I have a spare front plate holder you can have for shipping. It's metallic black, though.
    Last edited by SteveKen; September 15th, 2018 at 21:27.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Dave,
    I have my front license plate held with earth magnets. The hard part was getting them into the bumper, as this one has to come off.
    Make sure you account for magnet polarization in the process, otherwise you could have one side attract, and the other expel.

I started with the magnets on the plate holder. That made it easier once the bumper was off, as I used it in front of the bumper to hold the magnets that would go into the inside of the bumper in place, and allowed for no mistakes on polarization. Cover the magnets on the plate holder with some felt pads to ensure it won't cause any scratches while in contact with the bumper.

I hardly ever put it on after all that work, but I also don't drive my beast daily.
    Great tips, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Another thing to consider. I would put some ferrous piece of metal inside the bumper if possible instead of magnets. Then if you run without the front plate you won't have to worry about any small metal debris getting picked up and stuck to your bumper that you would end up having to try to remove. Keep the magnets on the plate or the plate holder.

Also, if you are in need, I have a spare front plate holder you can have for shipping. It's metallic black, though.
    Another good point, thanks!
    Is the holder you have one of these types?

Don't some states have a law where if there is no front holder then you can have no plate? Of course you would still get pulled over I guess...good luck! Looks like some good options above.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

WA is a front plate state. I just took it off my rs last year, no problems. I haven't had a front plate on my S4 for over 10 years, never been stopped.

But I like the earth magnetic idea, as long as it wouldn't move and scratch the bumper.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I looked it up and VA's law does not have a provision for cars with out a holder, just says all passenger vehicles must display a front and rear plate. It hadn't been an issue for years before on this car, or the s4, or the old 2002. I think it was just an easy write-up for a quota that day.

Zip tie the plate the the front grill - at least for a day or two

I saw the comment about the duct blockage... as a prospective RS6 owner (without one in the garage), do any solutions like the options here (https://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Sit...plate_bracket/) risk cooling issues? I live in VA, and so risk filling someone's ticket quota for the day if I don't display a front plate.

The RS6 tow hole is behind the passenger intercooler grill, so you'd have to remove the grill or punch a hole through it (don't do that please). In either case, you would be blocking airflow to the intercooler, and that's not a good idea.

Most RS6's should have the front plate adapter already installed. If you happen to find a car that never had it installed, and you really don't want to punch holes, then use the magnetic options described above.

Personally I don't think the RS6 looks too bad with a front plate. The bumper was designed to have a plate (albeit the Euro style), so it doesn't really mess up the front lines too bad.

Got it, thanks!

I just had a sign company scan my plate and make a vinyl decal (shrunk the size down slightly).

I figured what the heck, either I get a ticket for no plate or get some guff for the decal.

At least with the decal I don't put any holes in that bumper

Check out my avatar. One option that was already on the car when I bought it, but here in CA tickets are easy to come by without a front plate. Much nicer than putting on the regular plate.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Wait, Papadoc, You are running a front euro plate with the same characters as your real plate? And getting away with it in CA? Have you ever been pulled over for it?
    Sorry I have so many questions, but I would be in hog heaven if I could drive around with just euro plates. I did it for a few weeks, but got too nervous to keep it up.

Never pulled over and have passed many CHP officers and even the evil SF police at the SFO airport. I loved the look when I picked up the car, and saw no reason to change. Have to say that putting the regular plates on the front is butt ugly.
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

papadoc:
    Hmmmm........ I'm in FL (no front plate requirement), so I have matching front & rear euro plates with "IN RS 64B", but I have my FL tag on top of my rear plate... Maybe I'll get a little bolder & see!! Thanks!