Thread: 2003 RS6 Avant

2003 RS6 Avant

With the talk about RS6 Avants on the suspension post I thought I would note that one more is about to get back on the road. I had done a manual conversion to my Avant a couple years back. Unfortunately the freshly built Euro 01E from a known US supplier did not have the rebuild quality or new parts as paid for. (Being kind here). After the initial run and discovery of the trans issues it got parked waiting for a time to pull it back down.

Trans has now been rebuilt properly and about to go back in. Hopefully I will be able to get it done in time to get some miles on her this summer. On the other hand ..... with the talk of getting $60 to $70K for one it should be for sale and put the bucks towards a V10 R8.

Good point on the R8

I just looked up a 2010 v10 R8 and they can be had for 70k

Listen, we all know I'm the biggest C5 RS6 fan.....and I'm not paying 60-70 for an Avant

Was it the guy that name starts with S?

Or that junkyard down in Tucson?

Yes "S" Guy. After going through the trans I would like to think it was just real poor workmanship or an error rather than intentionally setting out to screw someone. Either way has the same result, an non functioning product.

I screw up in the shop all the time, that is just part of it, but you don't let that stuff get to the customer. On the off chance it does get out, you do everything to make it right...plus, plus! He did offer to go through it after several rounds of blaming the issues on everything but the trans. At that stage there was no level of trust that it would be done correctly the second time. The cost is in the removal and shipping anyway so it went to my buddy who builds all the Porsche transaxles in the area. I do the machining for that shop so was able to see it through all stages of teardown and assy.

The side benefit of tearing it down here was the ability to confirm what I paid for is not what I received. My takeaway. Read the customer and forum Feedbacks before you place an order not after it goes south.

I got into it with him 10yrs ago. Zero problem solving skills

he's good at charging top dollar. That's about it

I'm a player for a genuine RS6 Avant at $30-40k delivered but that's obviously still out of reach. A used R8 was on my radar for a period. Last I looked, the 4.2L's could be had for a steal. Unfortunately it's not what I want and not really comparable to the utility of an RS6 Avant.

I also purchased my 01e from him. Have had my suspicions since it arrived as it showed no signs of recent teardown. So far, no issues. Fingers crossed.

What rebuild kit did you go with? I was just poking around JHMotorsports today saw they offer an upgraded kit for about half the price of their OEM offering.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    I'm a player for a genuine RS6 Avant at $30-40k delivered but that's obviously still out of reach.
    I have the black Avant that SteveKen built. There's nothing in the $30k range that would tempt me to let it go. Can't think of anything that I'd want to replace it with. I don't know what the magic number is but I've got at least 3-4 people in line for "dibs".
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Co View Post
    I have the black Avant that SteveKen built. There's nothing in the $30k range that would tempt me to let it go. Can't think of anything that I'd want to replace it with. I don't know what the magic number is but I've got at least 3-4 people in line for "dibs".
    No doubt. I have no delusions of what even an RS6 clone should command in the current state of availability. My point was, I'm at a crossroads right now. If an RS6 Avant (clone or otherwise) was available today for that money I would pursue it rather than going the long route like your/SteveKen's car. At $60-70k you're in used S8/RS7 territory but they don't speak to me like that wagon does. The hunt will continue.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I will have two RS6 avants. Enough is enough

no clone vehicles for me

I will get them thru EPA.

i will drive the crap out of them and give AoA the middle finger at every chance

any questions

headed to my yearly pilgrimage to Colorado next week. RS6 in tow...watch out idjuits

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    I will have two RS6 avants. Enough is enough

no clone vehicles for me
    The car doesn't know it's a clone.

I will get them thru EPA.
    I can drive mine today.
    I will drive the crap out of them and give AoA the middle finger at every chance [/QUOTE]

I'm with you there!

watch out idjuits
    I'm with you there too.
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

Not like I don't have RS6s to drive. Lol

I really just want a genuine RS6 Avant and I will put it thru EPA the right way. Then it's middle finger to AoA and the car will have all the right vin tags and certificates. This will cost a fortune but....That way I can insure it for top dollar and protect my investments.

How much does the price drop once the rs6 avants fall off the EPA watch list? Isn't it 25 years old in order to drop off the list?
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Price may drop some

but finding clean low mile RS6 Avant in 10 more years is another

I will pay the piper and snag my car now

Yes very true, my heart drops everytime I seen a b5 rs4 or c5 rs6 being parted out. There's not gonna be many left soon.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

It will be interesting to see what's available when the 25 years comes up. I wonder if anyone is sitting on them anywhere, laying in wait. I wonder if there's any penalty to buying and importing and storing until the restrictions are lifted.

I'd personally rather buy a rough one since I'd end up pissing with it anyway. I'm not one to buy a collector and put 5k miles on it a year so I'd make it how I want it and drive the crap out of it. I tend to void warranties before the dealer plate surround gets tossed in the trash.

Everyone is referring to the EPA. Isn't this a DOT issue? 5 mph bumpers are not an EPA thing.
    Last edited by SteveKen; June 25th, 2018 at 23:55. Reason: double post
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

i will drive the crap out of them and give AoA the middle finger at every chance

any questions

I have a question. How is doing anything you describe a middle finger to AoA?

I think a middle finger would be driving a BMW or MB, no?

AoA is crying to the bank on every maintenance part we buy . . .
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

We've done five full S6 Avant to RS6 Avant conversions (my personal one currently going through a version 2 full rebuild) in the last year and a half. All have been 6-speed manually converted as well. All have been done with salvaged titled RS6 sedans. Happy to answer any questions about the process and costs of building one for delivery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6_7.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	18574

Well there will be one low mile Avant at the rate I am going to getting mine back on the road. It has 15K miles on it. Bought it with almost 13K, so not too much per year goes on it. Roads are such shit in Michigan I just hate to violate something nice doing daily duty. It will get out for some long runs this year though.
    2003 RS6 Avant, 2002 S6 Avant, 2007 S8, 96 993 Turbo, 34 Morgan SS, 46 MG TC.

I'm not buying any other new Audi's. That's my middle finger to AoA

My cars dont need much in the way of repairs due to current condition.

Heck, my big purchase this year was 400 bucks on a full set of 034 control arms for my Daytona.

Wait, I did plugs and oil changes. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I have a question. How is doing anything you describe a middle finger to AoA?

I think a middle finger would be driving a BMW or MB, no?

AoA is crying to the bank on every maintenance part we buy . . .