Thread: Been awhile, how's everyone's beasts? Inspection issue here....

Been awhile, how's everyone's beasts? Inspection issue here....

So, NY ties registration to inspection. Registration is due for renewal... and I am having the same bag of problems with inspection - namely, the inspection computer can't communicate with the OBDII on the car (something about OBDII has no power). I can VAGCOM/VCDS with no problems at all, I can see all modules, etc. I've hit multiple shops, given it many many many attempts. It's ALWAYS BEEN AN ISSUE since the day this car showed up. I've always come up with a "work around" but now I can't renew my registration. HELP. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Kgnast View Post
    So, NY ties registration to inspection. Registration is due for renewal... and I am having the same bag of problems with inspection - namely, the inspection computer can't communicate with the OBDII on the car (something about OBDII has no power). I can VAGCOM/VCDS with no problems at all, I can see all modules, etc. I've hit multiple shops, given it many many many attempts. It's ALWAYS BEEN AN ISSUE since the day this car showed up. I've always come up with a "work around" but now I can't renew my registration. HELP. LOL.
    had the same issue. Do you have a tune?

Yes, but the car had the issue pre-tune. It's never hooked up properly to the DMV inspection machine's obdii cable. You wrote "had" the same issue.... meaning you no longer "have" the issue? How'd you get around it/fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    had the same issue. Do you have a tune?

Yes, but the car had the issue pre-tune. It's never hooked up properly to the DMV inspection machine's obdii cable. You wrote "had" the same issue.... meaning you no longer "have" the issue? How'd you get around it/fix it?
    Mine was an issue with the software. Whoever did my software screwed it up. Another suggestion that was made to me at the time was to check that all the pins on the ECU Are making a good contact. Someone else had a bad pin. I’d also check for continuity/broken wires in the harness. Do you even need to get plugged in anymore? In Massachusetts after 15 years they just do a safety inspection.

Not that it helps but

i have a "special" ecu for this situation. Basically when they plug-in all the readiness monitors will be on and it will pass. I have passed with flying colors every time.

This special ECU also has the immobilizer defeated. I guess I could work up some type of loaner program but a huge deposit would need to be left in case anything was damaged. This thing cost me a left nut to have done as it would close most retail shops and cause a huge fine. EPA shit

ask vw how it's feeling these days

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Not that it helps but

i have a "special" ecu for this situation. Basically when they plug-in all the readiness monitors will be on and it will pass. I have passed with flying colors every time.

This special ECU also has the immobilizer defeated. I guess I could work up some type of loaner program but a huge deposit would need to be left in case anything was damaged. This thing cost me a left nut to have done as it would close most retail shops and cause a huge fine. EPA shit

Hello Mr. DHall1,

This is Steven Smith from the EPA. We have been monitoring this web site and hacked this account to yell at you. Shame on you DHall1 of DHall1 RS6 super collectors.org. You of all people should understand the importance of making automobiles have no environmental impact at all. You must remove your petrol engines from you fleet of RS6's and install electric motors today to avoid a huge fine. We are coming for you and your special ECU.

Steven Smith
    EPA Investigator
    EPA Washington DC, USA
    Obama Hold Over not fired by Trump, yet.

'18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Not that it helps but

In MA they reset the readiness monitors to make sure they arent programmed to always read ready. Also, they have cameras in the bays. Inspectors can do jail time for messing with stuff. But after 15 years it is safety only inspection.

Guess that's why I'm in the wild Wild West.

Epa could care less about me. I don't have a 100 billion dollar balance sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Hello Mr. DHall1,

This is Steven Smith from the EPA. We have been monitoring this web site and hacked this account to yell at you. Shame on you DHall1 of DHall1 RS6 super collectors.org. You of all people should understand the importance of making automobiles have no environmental impact at all. You must remove your petrol engines from you fleet of RS6's and install electric motors today to avoid a huge fine. We are coming for you and your special ECU.

Steven Smith
    EPA Investigator
    EPA Washington DC, USA
    Obama Hold Over not fired by Trump, yet.

Mr. Steven Smith,

This is Mr. DHall1 and good luck on finding me and what state(s) I have my plethora of "special" ECU RS6 registered in. Electric motor batteries are 100X more toxic than these lovely Cosworth petrol engines in my quiver of RS6. The REAL problem are the Prius/Volt/Leaf/Turdsla are all in the way of all my efficient twin turbo 4.2 EARTH pounding V8. Perhaps better focus of your employer would be to eliminate these Prius/Volt/Leaf/Turdsla from gasoline tax paid highways so I can efficiently press the skinny pedal to the kickdown switch more frequently so that the twin turbos can exhaust more rapidly thereby diluting any carbon emissions at an excitingly exponential rate.

Problem solved; you are out of a job now... you're welcome... feel better now?

Mr. DHall1
    a.k.a. EPA Rebel
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

How are they connecting to the OBD port? Wireless dongle or hard line? I've seen some tunes react 'slower' to the wireless dongles and time out. I went and had the car inspected at another shop with a hard line and it passed and the inspector said that it was the longest time he had ever seen it take to read OBD.

As for the tune with items tuned out to pass OBD and whether this will work, your mileage may vary depending on state and how they do it. Smart ones are looking to see if the code has been modified.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Mr. Steven Smith,

This is Mr. DHall1 and good luck on finding me and what state(s) I have my plethora of "special" ECU RS6 registered in. Electric motor batteries are 100X more toxic than these lovely Cosworth petrol engines in my quiver of RS6. The REAL problem are the Prius/Volt/Leaf/Turdsla are all in the way of all my efficient twin turbo 4.2 EARTH pounding V8. Perhaps better focus of your employer would be to eliminate these Prius/Volt/Leaf/Turdsla from gasoline tax paid highways so I can efficiently press the skinny pedal to the kickdown switch more frequently so that the twin turbos can exhaust more rapidly thereby diluting any carbon emissions at an excitingly exponential rate.

Problem solved; you are out of a job now... you're welcome... feel better now?

Mr. DHall1
    a.k.a. EPA Rebel
    MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

long live huge displacement V8's with Forced induction!!!!!!!!!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Omg that's so funny.

Duh, never thought about the gas tax angle.

We should get the carpool lanes and hybrid/elec vehicles in the gutter. Exactly what they pay for

Guess that's why I'm in the wild Wild West.

Epa could care less about me. I don't have a 100 billion dollar balance sheet.
    To each his own, right. For every downside of a region or state there is an upside.

There is no downside to Mexizona.

Lol

Hi Steve,

Looks just a really long Vag-com OBDII cable..... it times out, again and again (multiple shops, multiple attempts), won't make a connection. My VCDS has no issue whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    How are they connecting to the OBD port? Wireless dongle or hard line? I've seen some tunes react 'slower' to the wireless dongles and time out. I went and had the car inspected at another shop with a hard line and it passed and the inspector said that it was the longest time he had ever seen it take to read OBD.

As for the tune with items tuned out to pass OBD and whether this will work, your mileage may vary depending on state and how they do it. Smart ones are looking to see if the code has been modified.

Winner winner chicken dinner, right here..... LMBO.