Thread: Diagnosing Cruise Contol not working

Diagnosing Cruise Contol not working

Trying to diagnose cruise control not working on my 03 RS6.

It doesn't work any of the time and never engages.

Here's what are the options that come to mind:

* Brake light switch
    * Control box
    * Steering wheel stock

So, here's where I am:

* if I press on the brake pedal, the rear brake lights turn on, so should I rule out the brake light switch?

* I am able to start the car in park without pressing the brake pedal. Is that normal with other RS6s or C5s in general?

Thanks,
    Chris
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

Did you do a full VCDS scan for codes? I had an error related to my CC which caused a full shutdown of the car going 90mph on the freeway, not fun. I'll have to dig it up, but it did throw a code for a control module of some sort, or throttle body control maybe...

Here's an old thread for you. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23...witch-to-blame
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Maybe not related, my old thread. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...5-yikes!-Cause

In Google, use "site:rs6.com cruise control" or whatever term you want to add in.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Trying to recall what problem I had, that a new brake light switch fixed...but I DO recall remembering that anytime I have any kind of electrical problem, brake light switch gets replaced first. Its a switch that doesn't work like any other switch I've seen, and it's cheap and easy to replace.
    2013 Audi S8

I am working on getting my old Windows laptop fixed so I can use the vag-com to read codes. Currently, I don't have it functioning.

For the brake light switch, if there is a problem with it, should it lock out the transmission still without depressing and the brake lights still come on? I assume if the brake light switch is bad that I would notice other things outside of the cruise control.

Switch:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1411401&jsn=9
    '03 Audi RS6 | 034 Motorsports Stage 2 ECU + TCU | PSS9 Coil over shocks/springs | Hotchkis sway bars | Milltek exhaust systems/downpipes/cats | Hyperboost DV | Venair hoses | 034 Snub mount | 034 Density control arms

Yes, starting the car without the brake pedal pushed is normal, it's when selecting drive it needs to be pressed.
    Make sure the cruise stalk is pushed towards you ( I think so anyway, try it in both positions, mine didn't work and it was that) could be as simple as that.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

I had mine fixed (under warranty) a few years ago, March 2009.

There were no other obvious systems not working and it just ended up being the control stick was old and worn out.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

when I got mine back in 2012 the cruise control didn't work, dealership reset the control unit and it was fine after that. cost less than $100 if i remember correctly.
    2015 Q7 TDI 2013 TTS 2003 RS6 2000 A6 4.2 Widebody
    1984 Thunderbird (351 Supercharged) 1975 Nissan Fairlady Z