Thread: Hood liner sag - any quick fix?

Hood liner sag - any quick fix?

I did a search and did not find (easily), but wondering if there is a quick fix for the old car saggy head liner?

Mike
    2018 BMW M5 Black Sapphire Metallic, 2015 Q7 S-Line Daytona Grey Pearl Effect
    (prior 2000 A6 4.2 sport, traded, 2003 RS6, sold, 2016 BMW M2, traded)

Registered User Nathanielosiris's Avatar
    Mine is starting to sag slightly. Im very interested in keeping the same fabric and so I was considering in using very thin glue and a needle. Hiting the areas slightly avoiding any of it seeping through. Im going to give it a try this next month, ill upload some pics of how it turns out.

I didn't find any good solutions when I decided to tackle the issue about a year ago. The problem is the foam backing separates from the alcantara and breaks down to the point where it no longer bonds at all. It's a tedious and messy job to clean the headliner board. The few sources I found online for replacement material were ridiculously expensive per yard. So I decided to re-use the original. Picked up some foam backing material from the fabric store (also not cheap, $10/yd used about 6-7 yd) , 4-5 cans of spray-on headliner adhesive from the local auto parts store @ ~$20/ea. Also, the front overhead console surround is sandwiched around the headliner and plastic welded together. The rear dome light hole has a metal bracket crimped around the headliner too. There just isn't any way to access the void to spray adhesive with it in place.

All-in-all, it lasted a few months before it started to droop again. I'll take it to a professional when I get the nerve to remove the headliner again. Probably won't come to that cause I've been on the look out for a swap candidate S6 Avant lately.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31...dliner-sagging

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...-for-headliner

03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

If you lived in MA I would send you to A1 Auto. They did the inserts on my Recaros a few years ago and they do great work.
    You could search in your area for Auto Upholstery and find a decent shop.

Thanks for the input. I found much the same elsewhere, too bad....

I think I am going for the quickest fix. Surgical Tacks. 5 mm spiral metal tacks. That will work! LOL The trick will be to evenly distribute them in a straight line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 8.02.27 AM.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	23.4 KB 
ID:	18528

Mike
    2018 BMW M5 Black Sapphire Metallic, 2015 Q7 S-Line Daytona Grey Pearl Effect
    (prior 2000 A6 4.2 sport, traded, 2003 RS6, sold, 2016 BMW M2, traded)

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    I've been on the look out for a swap candidate S6 Avant lately.
    I will have a nice one for sale very soon, if you're interested. 2003 MY, 69k miles, "Aquablau Metallic" / silver interior.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    I will have a nice one for sale very soon, if you're interested. 2003 MY, 69k miles, "Aquablau Metallic" / silver interior.
    Wow, someone will scoop that up quick. Unfortunately, I have my heart set on a Light Silver Metallic (close sibling to Avus) with ebony interior; maybe Atlas Gray. I was in negotiations on a Pearlescent White example a few months ago but it sold before I decided to commit.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory