Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seriously considering buying 2013 S8, knowledge and opinions please

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I drove the RS7 first...liked it, didn't love it. And that sportback...Yuck. I guess I like the "plain Jane" understated look of the S8...oh...and the shifter...this is another thing that separates them...probably doesn't matter to most...but the RS7 shifter looks just like the S6 shifter...LOVE the S8 shifter, although it DOES take some getting used to. At the end of the day, the D4 S8 is about as rare a car as a RS anything...And 11.83 @117 bone stock...against a modded Challenger Hellcat.

Attachment 18502
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    You seem to be forgetting the 10 years that passed between the C5 RS6 and C7 S6...
    Well that's an insult. I wasn't forgetting whatsoever. High 10 vs. a mid 11 is a lot closer than high 11 vs. a mid 14. Clearly progress has been getting times faster and faster - it's just not as wide a spread which IN MY OPINION doesn't warrant the exclusivity and $$$ being demanded. I think what's fair to say is that because we can't get the newer C6 & C7 models in North America that we are fine with the S6 and the fugly RS7 models that are accessible.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Dam, I have to stop coming to this website also, stopped looking at Facebook and will not go back! LOL.

This thread is FRIGGEN DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad is coming for a visit tomorrow with his 2015 S8.......(Daytona Grey with black and all options) used .....

Now this thread.....

Should have worked through lunch..

Now I want one too.

LOL.

I was just looking at CPO RS7 performance on-line this morning....$98,000. YIKES. The right foot can overpower the eyes on that one!

But not the wallet.

Mike

(friggen check engine light came on on Tuesday, have not scanned it yet, friggen RS6....)
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Soooo, how'd you enjoy the seat time in the D4?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Well that's an insult. I wasn't forgetting whatsoever. High 10 vs. a mid 11 is a lot closer than high 11 vs. a mid 14.
    You can try to manufacture an insult out of my comments if you like, but I can assure you that none was intended.

C5 RS6s run 12.7-13.1 stock according to ALL contemporary tests. C5 S6s ran 13.6-14 flat. So about 1-second difference.

C7 RS6/7s run about 11.5, and C7 S6s run about 12.2-12.5, again about a 1 second difference. Tuned, the gap remains about 1 second.

Add to that the "heavy motor" facts previously mentioned, plus DRC and IMO the RS6RS7s certainly set themselves apart.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Soooo, how'd you enjoy the seat time in the D4?
    It was just parked in my yard, no seat time. LOL> I have driven it before. I like to stay the hell away from newer nicer cars for my wallets sake. Kind of glad I don't live a half hour away from an Audi dealer which actually has cars in stock. The one an hour north never has much on the lot. LOL.

Kind of like living an hour from the nearest Apple Store. Safe distance.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by ZCD2.7T View Post
    You can try to manufacture an insult out of my comments if you like, but I can assure you that none was intended.

C5 RS6s run 12.7-13.1 stock according to ALL contemporary tests. C5 S6s ran 13.6-14 flat. So about 1-second difference.

C7 RS6/7s run about 11.5, and C7 S6s run about 12.2-12.5, again about a 1 second difference. Tuned, the gap remains about 1 second.

Add to that the "heavy motor" facts previously mentioned, plus DRC and IMO the RS6RS7s certainly set themselves apart.
    Clearly we aren't speaking the same language, or not understanding things correctly from either party. You cite there still being a 1 second gap which I just don't understand. Members on this forum are citing they are at, or near to getting their newer S6's breaking in to the high 10's. I have no recollection of anyone on this forum or the other forums running a second faster with high 9's in their RS7/6's. I do see many citing mid 10's for the newer C7 RS6/7's which is a half a second difference as I have it in my head.

As for the C5 S6's, there is no way a base line S6 is/was running 13.5 seconds. I have one. They are mid 14's - maybe lower when the planets align. Tuned, 'maybe eek out another 3/10's or even possibly a miraculous half a second faster max. A tuned C5 RS6 easily cracks 12's and is in high 11's with a few other odds and sods. This is what I have in my head as being a significant larger delta in the S to RS models than today's delta and prefaced my comments on the matter.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; April 16th, 2018 at 23:31.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

[QUOTE=Bigglezworth;290085]Clearly we aren't speaking the same language, or not understanding things correctly from either party. You cite there still being a 1 second gap which I just don't understand. /QUOTE]

Very few S6 or RS7 posters on this board, but from another board comes this spreadsheet with documented times for stock and tuned RS7s and C7 S6s. Without the timeslip, it didn't happen. Only one 2014 s8 in the list.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...JfRkgCu8GqqyOs
    First RS6 totaled at 142K. Now donor for S6 Avant project. Daily driver: Sepang Blue 2016 S6. Black optics, sport package. #2 Black on Black, Level 10 and Koni, Eclipse Nav + Sirius, 034 Motorsports ECU and TCU tune.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    ...This is what I have in my head as being a significant larger delta in the S to RS models than today's delta and prefaced my comments on the matter.
    What's "in your head" with regards to performance isn't accurate, according to other, unbiased sources:

2007 S6, 13.8 @ 104: https://s3.amazonaws.com/amv-prod-ca...ertrain-ss.pdf

Another reference post for that C7 1/4 mile times info, from Audizine:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post12008674

It takes bigger (RS6/7) turbos, a race fuel tune, downpipes, an intake and an exhaust get a C7 S6 into the 10s, which is why I quoted $8K as a starting point to "RS6Goals" in that other thread.

A C7 RS6/7 will be in the high 10s with a tune and possibly an intake - or maybe $2-3k total outlay.

So, whether stock to stock, or with a similar amount of money spent on tuning, the 1-second difference remains consistent for the C7...

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    Very few S6 or RS7 posters on this board, but from another board comes this spreadsheet with documented times for stock and tuned RS7s and C7 S6s. Without the timeslip, it didn't happen. Only one 2014 s8 in the list.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...JfRkgCu8GqqyOs
    Thank you.

(and there's me and my car, pretty much at the end of the list, because my car is stock/unmodified)

I spent the evening tinkering with my 08 CL600. Everything works! It's a miracle

its fast
    its comfortable
    distronic plus and night vision
    the seat adjustments are out of this world
    did I mention everything works

calif 1 owner no paint work. Black black

I see a similar equipped S600 or S65 in my future.

My S8 may need to wait awhile. This car is cool and dirt cheap.

Cheap until something breaks...I had my SL65 tuned for a week, and on my way to the track, a coil pack calfed...check engine light, skipping like DHall1 at a RS6 meet, and barely made it home...average cost for a rack of coils is $1000, can be had for $700ish if you hunt around...oh and there's 2 of them...(I still have a good one, if you know someone in need)
    2013 Audi S8

Yep, mine have been changed already along with the valve cover gaskets that leak oil down and ruin the plug boots that short out the coil packs.

But I still may take that pack off your hands.

Lol

Lemme know...I just went downstairs to verify I am actually still in possession of said coil pack. I am. I believe left side...drivers side...I have a set of airboxes too, with the hoses...if you feel like tinkering. I started airbox mod, then bailed. Hard to find...PM me for info...if you care...sorry for the derail everyone...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V12 Coil Pack 1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	18519
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	V12 Coil Pack 2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	18518
    2013 Audi S8