Thread: PLEASE HELP! Transmission scare,

Registered User Nathanielosiris's Avatar

PLEASE HELP! Transmission scare,

I was driving the RS6 earlier today and stepped on it to get on the highway just enough to downshift and I heard noises that seemed like metal grinding/clanking. I stop and try to replicate the revs that I did in gear while the car was parked and heard nothing. At first I thought it could have been just rocks from the road but when I get back on the high way I test it again and this time with the tips and when I downshift to 2 I hear the same racketty noise again. Sounds like metal pieces flying around. Almost like when there is a little bit of sand or rocks in your dryer while you dry your clothes. Is my tranny dying? I dont have much experience with diagnosing trans. PLEASE HELP!

Is it actually shifting OK or is it slipping and/or clunking? If it's shifting and driving OK but just making noise it could be a heat shield rubbing somewhere. My S6 had a heat shield that came in contact with the driveshaft which made some metal on metal noises when I got on it. Easy fix to bend it out of the way.

Put a fork in it

vag com check codes and data log

It shifts perfect when using tip. It has slipped twice from 3rd-4th and downshifting to 2nd, but only when in automatic.

I will try to get it diagnosed for now I got under it and made sure there was nothing making contact with the drive shaft. I was able to replicate the noise and now it sounds to me more like metal being sprayed on. Im thinking a boost leak? There is no significant loss of power and I was able to replicate it in park revving the engine pretty high up betweet 5500 and 6500. Like I said it sounds like one of the front fenders being sprayed.

You need Ross-Tech VCDS for this car. Quick run of the logs as Mr. Hall mentioned will let you know boost leak, but that would cause noticeable performance loss, and max boost is around 4.5k anyhow so doesn't sound like it.

When was the timing belt last done? Could be one of the needle bearing small rollers that are know to wear early, noise would be up front, and not change anything performance wise. If your TB fails, or rollers fail, you could be out an engine. TB is every 35k or 5 years. The small rollers have been known to wear and loosen sooner.

Still, if you've had any slip in the trans like mentioned it's probably on it's way out. Valve body pressure is different in Drive, Sport, and Tip, along with shift points, so that could explain the slip. My last failed trans would slip out of gear from 3-4 under full throttle, glazed/burnt clutches...

If you paid around $15k or less your trans is shot...maybe Most any car going for more will have new trans in it by now.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Is your car lowered?? Rattles are difficult to armchair diagnose unfortunately which merely lead to numerous guesses that can quickly lead you down the incorrect path.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

The path of the fork in the transmission has been well proven

I appreciate the help everyone! I will run a scan on the car and see whet happens.