Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: NEW to the family! some exhaust advice please!

  1. #1
    Registered User Nathanielosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    14

    NEW to the family! some exhaust advice please!

    Hello everyone! I just recently got a great and I am trying to get some advice/ideas on mid-section/center-section options. I have a small exhaust leak in that area and wanted to know if anyone knows good quality products from EXPERIENCE. I would appreciate the help! Just trying to get some fresh answers.

  2. #2
    Registered User Bigglezworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    Posts
    2,231
    More info required. Pics preferred. SE exhaust or non-SE (i.e. black or chrome tips). What exacltly is leaking? Coupler or a weld at the resonators? The OEM exhaust is an extremely well built and quality unit that handles OEM and tuned cars without modification. Those that switch it out do so for either a minimal weight savings (moot on a tank like this), or to generate more noise for those around them.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    29
    What are you looking for in the exhaust? Sound? Flow?

    The stock SE exhaust is a pretty great straight through design. We just tested an APR vs SE on my car and FATS (based on B5 S4) settings was .3 sec slower. "Performance" exhaust isnt necessarily as it seems .

  4. #4
    Registered User Nathanielosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    More info required. Pics preferred. SE exhaust or non-SE (i.e. black or chrome tips). What exacltly is leaking? Coupler or a weld at the resonators? The OEM exhaust is an extremely well built and quality unit that handles OEM and tuned cars without modification. Those that switch it out do so for either a minimal weight savings (moot on a tank like this), or to generate more noise for those around them.
    Thanks for the reply! Its SE exhaust and I will get pictures as soon as I can. I think its by the coupler.

  5. #5
    Registered User Nathanielosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by catriple View Post
    What are you looking for in the exhaust? Sound? Flow?

    The stock SE exhaust is a pretty great straight through design. We just tested an APR vs SE on my car and FATS (based on B5 S4) settings was .3 sec slower. "Performance" exhaust isnt necessarily as it seems .
    Im just looking for good flow. Dont know if there is a part number for just a mid section, havent been able to find one anyway.

  6. #6
    Registered User ttboost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,452
    SE exhaust is a great exhaust and flows fine, stock or otherwise. Just get new factory exhaust couplers and replace yours.
    2013 Audi S8

  7. #7
    Registered User Bigglezworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Cowtown, AB
    Posts
    2,231
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanielosiris View Post
    Im just looking for good flow. Dont know if there is a part number for just a mid section, havent been able to find one anyway.
    Read my first post....

    Unless you are playing hipster and trying anounce yourself coming up the block, there is nothing wrong with the OEM exhaust. Flows just fine.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

  8. #8
    Registered User Nathanielosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    14
    I am not a fan of unnecesary noise so im going to stick with the OEM and just do a small repair. Thanks for the help everyone!

  9. #9
    Registered User Nathanielosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Read my first post....

    Unless you are playing hipster and trying anounce yourself coming up the block, there is nothing wrong with the OEM exhaust. Flows just fine.
    So I just got under the car and the exhaust leak is VERY minimal. I also pin pointed it to the coupler on the left side, which I tightened before putting the car down. I still have a very annoying and decently loud whistle coming from that area. I am not sure if it is a vacuum leak or if its just me hearing the turbos through that tiny exhaust leak. Any advice? Has this happened to anyone over the years?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •