Thread: Tuned 2016 S8 rear dif explode/fail

Tuned 2016 S8 rear dif explode/fail

Guy in the local club had his rear dif explode, damaged housing, basically bam and not running. 2016 S8, tuned, probably driven hard. $7,200k to have fixed at dealership. The trans may be strong on these but looks like the rear dif could be a weak point. Assuming many hard launches. Have a tuned S8 on my radar, but this makes me squirm a bit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	18382
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	18383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	18384
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Not too surprising, there's a ton of torque being transferred through that diff to motivate such a large car. Especially with tuned power levels and hard launches. But $7200 to replace a diff seems a bit steep.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Not too surprising, there's a ton of torque being transferred through that diff to motivate such a large car. Especially with tuned power levels and hard launches. But $7200 to replace a diff seems a bit steep.
    Yep, dealership. Don't know the breakdown, but whole new rear dif can't be cheap, sure they doubled up the labor as usual...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Good to know...might have to keep the torque in check...and be stingy with the launches...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Good to know...might have to keep the torque in check...and be stingy with the launches...
    Good deal, yep seeing you had one reminded me to post this...hell, still easier/cheaper than a trans replace!

Yep...I won't be paying 7200 anything to replace my dif...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yep...I won't be paying 7200 anything to replace my dif...
    No more Caddy? Back in an Audi?
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona/Silver, 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2016 Golf R 6 MT, 2018 Porsche Macan GTS

yeah...been waiting for a while...finally here...love this thing...
    2013 Audi S8

I've broken a couple of diffs over the years. Both GM and both on my Buick. Had me moving to a 9" Currie unit with 31spline axles to handle the power nicely.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down