Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: is there an actual turbo upgrade that will bolt to RS6 manifolds?

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yep, factory manifolds and turbines just. don't. flow. enough.
    This is a side effect of the "Eco Boost" (just done by Audi 30 years earlier) of using the turbo to supplement low/mid torque by adding it to a highly efficient naturally aspirated car. In order to spool up (until recently, it was unheard of that a turbo spools up fast and peak torque arrives at under 2k rpm), small turbos (hot and colds side) are used. And in order to provide better response, fairly restrictive exhaust manifolds (and again small 'snails' in the turbine) were used.

This general concepts applies to other VAG turbo engines (1.8T, 2.7T). Over the last few years, those "K04" framed turbos' performance have been pushed quite a bit, first on the 1.8T, later the 2.7T to provide an alternative to the "big and slow" "Big Turbo" that are readily available, but tend to provide a fairly narrow, peaky power band. It appears that not a lot has yet been done for the RS6 in this respect, probably because there are simply not that many around (and the limitation of the transmission).

I hope to have an upgraded engine (rods!) installed in my TT this summer. The TT225 turbo is similar (turbine and compressor wheel) as the RS6 turbo, and we have built a much less restrictive turbine and a big, 67mm billet compressor cold side. The turbo is already installed and running with only minor loss in spool up, but is curently heavily detuned in light of the stock rods (18-20 psi).

I am hoping for 450 cHP on E85 from this 1.8T and a 3000-7200 power band.

I went with the srms.

If I were to do it all over, probably would have went with TTE units.

As all have said before, there is no room, too many lines, too much custom fab to stray away from stock format etc. Also as everyone has said, money can be better spent on newer tech car and be way faster. I love my rs6, but i also love my c7 3.0 with pulley upgrade. I will never sell the rs6, way too invested.

I foresee a tt-rs as my next ride...
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
    I went with the srms.

If I were to do it all over, probably would have went with TTE units...
    Just curious, why?

Level of quality and attention to detail "seems" to be better.

My SRMs came in BW boxes, so I felt they were legit. However, one of the compressor housing inlets was never bored out to properly accept the RS6 inlet adapter...
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Thanks for all the info everyone!

The car is on its way to Steve Kendrish for the 6mt swap right now. For now I am only doing the 6mt swap, fuel pumps, injectors, and e85. Figure I'll drive it like this for a while and save up some cash to put a proper set of turbos on it.

TTE.......FTW

2nd

A member here....not to be mentioned is going whole hog on another build.

Lets say turbos and some custom fab exhaust manifolds are on the agenda

HAHAHAHAH!!!!

Let's just say that TTE makes the Turbo's for a few of the well known tuners. I am convinced after my discussions with them...

Just for grins, MTM quoted me $8600 for a set of Turbos to replace my exitsing MTM Turbo's...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Guys, with all due respect. Check the picture that Gregg posted. Those babies will easily support 700hp. And it's not too much work to get them to fit. It's not a walk in the park either, but with MT it's very doable.
    2.7 GT28 Eliminators do fit as well, with even less changes required. We have a car with those locally, hopefully should go in for tuning when spring comes. Power still remains to be seen, but I'm thinking 650-700.

Pic:

Placing turbos on the sides also has been accomplished.
    It all depends on how much you're willing to spend (and/or how good you are with fabricating).
    Hey nubcake, any update on this ATP eliminator setup? It looks like the driver's side used the unmodified wastegate location (and compressor housing outlet location) that ATP has for the 2.7. I assume the passenger side wastegate mounting had to be modified? How about the passenger side compressor housing outlet, did it need to be modified? This is the only instance I could find of someone running these on the RS6, so I'm curious how it turned out.

These were never dynoed & never properly tuned, so can't really provide more solid info.
    Passenger side WG had to be modded yes. Outlet fit "as is" if I recall correctly, maybe with a bit of grinding.
    This car has a tough life, turbos were eventually sold elsewhere.

I think a gentleman in the UK is currently attempting the same setup.

These turbos pretty much fix the biggest exhaust restriction (turbine), but intake still needs a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I don't know what that is, but if it requires using the stock manifolds, it will be a waste of time, IMO. The stock turbos are TINY, both on the exhaust and the intake sides. EVERYTHING on that hot side is too small. Any improvement with factory parts will be minimal. Anyone who has gotten reasonable gains, has started from scratch.

fake news!

We made 898WHP on stock manifolds. And a huge wide powerband.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SdLSSoKYeQ
    2004 Sportec RS600 + 6MT + e85
    Fastest RS6 in the USA

I think that might be the guy known as Mario on Audizine. Some really strange looking setups and big numbers claimed but nothing ever verified. He usually slams other builds and tries to promote his own. I think he's on multiple forums with multiple usernames so you never know which one is him.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA