Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is there an actual turbo upgrade that will bolt to RS6 manifolds?

is there an actual turbo upgrade that will bolt to RS6 manifolds?

I have been searching all day and all I can find are dead threads. Mostly people starting build threads saying they are going to do this and that, then 2 pages later its dead...

I am going to have my car apart for a 6 speed swap, and I want to upgrade the turbos. I don't want to go to the extent of building custom manifolds and all that jazz. That being said, is there a turbo option that will bolt up to the factory manifolds? I see SRM has hybrids but I read they aren't the best made. I also read that the RS6 manifold has the same mount as the 2.7t, If that is the case would running something like gt28s be possible? like these: https://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=27T

I understand some custom work will still be required for the turbo inlets and plumbing.

I cant find any info on this so I appreciate any input.

I'm not an expert, but I've done a lot of reading and I'm definitely interested in upgrading my turbos at some point too.

Generally speaking, the only turbos that are true bolt-on are the "hybrid turbos" available from multiple sources. All of these are essentially stock turbos where the compressor housing is machined to accept a bigger wheel. Nothing is done to the turbine housing, but sometimes the turbine wheels will be clipped to increase flow. The SRM and TTE units fall into this category. There are several other companies that will do the same (Blouch, Scroll, etc...)

The eliminator kit from ATP will bolt-up to the exhaust manifold, but the inlets won't. You should be able to make them fit with some custom fab work, and I've heard of several people have done similar things on the RS6. The downpipes will probably need to be modified or replaced too, but that should be pretty easy.

AMD in Seattle is building a car right now with the Tial 880's using stock manifolds, but custom inlets. I believe the 880's are similar physically to the GT28's, but I'm not 100% sure.

Personally, I'm starting with rebuilt stock turbos, gutted downpipes and a custom tune. Once that is sorted and I'm comfortable that everything is working well, I'm going to start upgrading parts like intercoolers and fuel system, then polish up my welding skills and get the GT2871r Eliminators. We shall see how far I get

Also, go follow timhaugan on Instagram and check his pictures. He owns the car AMD is building and has posted some pics of the turbos bolted up. Not a lot of details, but you can get an idea of what they are doing. You can also follow fastaudi, that's the account for AMD.

Finally, you can search rs246.com for info as well. They are focused on cars across the pond, but they have done some interesting builds.

I have yet to find anywhere that has a good, comprehensive description of a big-turbo RS6 build, but with some research, you can piece together a lot of info. If you decide to go down that path, you can be the first!

Tease...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big_Turbo.jpg 
Views:	471 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	18377

When my engine was out and all apart I was very tempted to upgrade the turbos.....but I was already spending too much on the repair to consider it. And I did not want to add a 'new transmission' to the parts list.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Unless you are willing to commit to custom headers or different manifolds, you are stuck with stock compressor housings. As I recall, there is a compressor wheel upgrade, but not sure they are even still doing that? There isn't a lot of room under there for anything huge. I also looked into this when I did my swap and gave up.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Unless you are willing to commit to custom headers or different manifolds, you are stuck with stock compressor housings. As I recall, there is a compressor wheel upgrade, but not sure they are even still doing that? There isn't a lot of room under there for anything huge. I also looked into this when I did my swap and gave up.
    So with a manual transmission gt2871's wouldn't fit? I know some modifications would be needed to get the inlets and charge piping to work correctly. But would they bolt up and fit?

It's not just the space limitation. Have you seen your engine out yet? Have you seen how tiny the compressor housing is? And how close it is to the factory manifold? I might have a picture, but I'd have to hunt for it...
    2013 Audi S8

This may help.

Name:	Right side turbo 1.jpg 
Views:	503 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	18378
    2013 Audi S8

So.... With custom work will the GT28rs eliminator kit bolt to the factory manifolds?

I don't know what that is, but if it requires using the stock manifolds, it will be a waste of time, IMO. The stock turbos are TINY, both on the exhaust and the intake sides. EVERYTHING on that hot side is too small. Any improvement with factory parts will be minimal. Anyone who has gotten reasonable gains, has started from scratch.
    2013 Audi S8

The GT28rs don't use anything but the manifold.

The reason the threads all die is because just like you as a new owner hoped to change turbos to "make more power" and will quickly find out there simply isn't sufficient space to undertake things. The engineers spent a host of time shoehorning this powerplant in to this chassis and you're left with what you're left with. I have spent many hours repairing everything engine and chassis related on this car and over the years have even gone as far as dreaming up new configurations for turbos. This includes splitting the manifolds, using dual throttle bodies, sandwiching turbos between the heads (like they have since done on the new 4.0TT, etc. Hell, I've even tossed around the idea to put turbos on the sides of the engine up front just behind the intercoolers like is commonly done with a TT Buick, but there is simply too much rework to support.

Yes, once you have removed the spaghetti for the SAI off the back of the heads, you have a bit more room, but the front differential makes everything on the passenger side stupidly tight. If you have never gone through the efforts to R&R a stock turbo on this car, then you simply can't appreciate what I'm saying. Swapping to a manual tranny will indeed give you some additional room, but not leaps and bounds. If you are really in love with the idea of taking this tank of a car and trying to make it go quicker than things like a tune, minor head work, and cams can do, then you may consider hacking up your center tunnel to eek out more interior volume to house larger turbos. That IMO is the ONLY way you will shoehorn in anything else than the OEM configuration......

Once you are considering something as drastic as what I've outlined above, it would beg the question why you wouldn't put all that money and effort in to a ride in which it's easier to execute and which would provide better end result - i.e. a purpose built ride with high power vs. a luxury sport saloon.
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; January 23rd, 2018 at 04:19.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

That said, anything is possible if you have big $$ to throw at it. Personally, those $ are better realized in my NSX or my modded GNX. I'm just fine with a quicker than average sedan as it is.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Guys, with all due respect. Check the picture that Gregg posted. Those babies will easily support 700hp. And it's not too much work to get them to fit. It's not a walk in the park either, but with MT it's very doable.
    2.7 GT28 Eliminators do fit as well, with even less changes required. We have a car with those locally, hopefully should go in for tuning when spring comes. Power still remains to be seen, but I'm thinking 650-700.

Pic:

Name:	IMG-20170318-WA0015.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	18381

Placing turbos on the sides also has been accomplished.
    It all depends on how much you're willing to spend (and/or how good you are with fabricating).

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Guys, with all due respect. Check the picture that Gregg posted. Those babies will easily support 700hp. And it's not too much work to get them to fit. It's not a walk in the park either, but with MT it's very doable.
    2.7 GT28 Eliminators do fit as well, with even less changes required. We have a car with those locally, hopefully should go in for tuning when spring comes. Power still remains to be seen, but I'm thinking 650-700.

Pic:

Name:	IMG-20170318-WA0015.jpg 
Views:	709 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	18381

Placing turbos on the sides also has been accomplished.
    It all depends on how much you're willing to spend (and/or how good you are with fabricating).
    A host of fuss IMO that takes lots of $ to eek out possibly 100hp more in a 4400lb car.

I would just like to know what all will and wont work with the gt2871 eliminator kit. Aka, will the oil lines, coolants lines, and wastegates all work with what is there? I am not worried about fabbing up inlets and outlets to get the plumbing to work.

I think a lot of these threads die because no one has the means or the money to actually do this. Yes I could easily drop money in something else. But this has been my dream car since I was a kid and I have the means and the money to build it. I'm not looking for a 1000hp monster. Rather 650-700hp with decent boost response.