Thread: Quick clutch survey

Quick clutch survey

I know this topic has been addressed several times, but I'd like to get a current update. For all you manual-swapped guys, what clutch are you running and how do you like it?

Drivabilty?
    Slipping?

Any other details you want to provide around your power levels, type of driving you do and which flywheel?

I'll go first:

AMD Stage 3+ (ceramic, 8 puck)
    Mediocre drivabilty, rough engagement, chatter especially when hot. Seems to hold power great, no signs of slipping. I actually wish it would slip a bit more

I daily drive it and occasionally go to the track. Right now, I regret my choice and wish I had gone with something softer.

SteveKen flywheel
    Tuned stock turbos

Had Spec 3+ with SteveKen's flywheel in my saloon. Quite soft pedal, minimal chatter. Liked it for a daily car.

AMD stage 3+
    SteveKen kit
    ~15k miles
    Tuned stock turbos with small shot of the boost juice (water/meth)

Maybe I've just gotten used to it but I don't have any complaints. No chatter to speak of since break in. On the rare occasion that I've dumped the clutch I get some slippage but I blame that on a weak slave cylinder and a poorly routed braided line that I haven't addressed yet. Once it's rolling, the power is held no problem.

The few people who have driven my car inevitably stall it the first couple attempts. Give it some revs and you'll be fine.

I work from home so I don't really daily drive anything. When I do get out on the weekends I have a mixture of city and spirited back road driving. I could see commuting getting old quick with the 3rd pedal.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I have a Steve Ken conversion with a Southbend Stage 4 clutch. Chatters if you don't match the revs well. Pedal is not that hard. No slippage at all. Im at 460 hp and 555 ft lbs at the wheels on dyno. Its not my daily driver since I drive in traffic most of the time to work. I would go with something a little softer.

Past:
    AMD Stage 3 (fibertough 8 puck)
    ~20000 miles
    SteveKen kit
    AMD tuned, 460whp/530wtq

I didn't like this clutch. It was very chattery, especially once it warmed up. It was possible but difficult to take off from a stop without chatter, and would not have been fun to daily drive. The one time I attempted a launch, it slipped completely and didn't grab until I let off the throttle, pushed in the clutch, and then re-engaged. On the plus side, the pedal feel was light enough to feel stock (compared to a stock C5 A6 6-speed I briefly owned).

Current:
    Spec Stage 3+ (ceramic full face)
    ~2000 miles
    The rest the same as past

I really like this clutch, it's light enough to feel stock and engages very smoothly. It will chatter a very small amount if I'm really not paying attention when taking off from a stop, but really I almost have to purposely try to get it to chatter. I haven't tried any hard launches, but it holds any gear WOT no problem. I don't daily drive it, but wouldn't hesitate to based on the clutch.
    Last edited by P1054; October 27th, 2017 at 21:55. Reason: Additional information
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    Past:
    AMD Stage 3 (fibertough 8 puck)
    ~20000 miles
    SteveKen kit
    AMD tuned, 460whp/530wtq

I didn't like this clutch. It was very chattery, especially once it warmed up. It was possible but difficult to take off from a stop without chatter, and would not have been fun to daily drive. The one time I attempted a launch, it slipped completely and didn't grab until I let off the throttle, pushed in the clutch, and then re-engaged. On the plus side, the pedal feel was light enough to feel stock (compared to a stock C5 A6 6-speed I briefly owned).

Current:
    Spec Stage 3+ (ceramic full face)
    ~2000 miles
    The rest the same as past

I really like this clutch, it's light enough to feel stock and engages very smoothly. It will chatter a very small amount if I'm really not paying attention when taking off from a stop, but really I almost have to purposely try to get it to chatter. I haven't tried any hard launches, but it holds any gear WOT no problem. I don't daily drive it, but wouldn't hesitate to based on the clutch.
    Your experience is similar to mine, although I've had no trouble with slipping. I went to the strip and tried some fairly hard launches and it never slipped at all.

I'm leaning strongly toward the Spec 3+ right now. The part number I've found is SA863F. Does that match what you guys are using?

Gregg

Quote Originally Posted by bethridg View Post
    AMD stage 3+
    SteveKen kit
    ~15k miles
    Tuned stock turbos with small shot of the boost juice (water/meth)

Maybe I've just gotten used to it but I don't have any complaints. No chatter to speak of since break in. On the rare occasion that I've dumped the clutch I get some slippage but I blame that on a weak slave cylinder and a poorly routed braided line that I haven't addressed yet. Once it's rolling, the power is held no problem.

The few people who have driven my car inevitably stall it the first couple attempts. Give it some revs and you'll be fine.

I work from home so I don't really daily drive anything. When I do get out on the weekends I have a mixture of city and spirited back road driving. I could see commuting getting old quick with the 3rd pedal.
    It's weird, but my experience has been different. The chatter has improved slowly over time, but it's still a lot worse than I want to deal with on a daily basis. Do you remember how long it took to break in your clutch? I'm at about 2500 miles right now.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Your experience is similar to mine, although I've had no trouble with slipping. I went to the strip and tried some fairly hard launches and it never slipped at all.

I'm leaning strongly toward the Spec 3+ right now. The part number I've found is SA863F. Does that match what you guys are using?

Gregg
    Gregg, yes the SA863F is the one I used. I bought it through Pelican Parts, at the time they had the best price and their customer service has been great in my past experience.

The other option I was looking into based on feedback from another forum member (I don't recall who offhand) was Ringer Racing's Stage 4 option. Ultimately I went with Spec because my brother has a Spec Stage 3+ in his 1989 E30 build and I really like the way it drives (obviously a very different car, but nevertheless). I don't regret my decision at all.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

I have the AMD Stage 3 plus with an aasco steel lwfw and have no issue with driving or chatter. I daily the car 120 miles a day and in heavy traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wide-66 View Post
    I have the AMD Stage 3 plus with an aasco steel lwfw and have no issue with driving or chatter. I daily the car 120 miles a day and in heavy traffic.
    How many miles are on the clutch now and did it chatter during break-in?

About 17k on clutch now. Never any chatter. I can hear a slight swish on engagement if feathering it. No slips I really like everything about the setup.

Southbend stage 5
    No slip, chatters a lot! Lol!
    Holding 600ftlbs.
    Doesnt mind launch control.
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Do you remember how long it took to break in your clutch? I'm at about 2500 miles right now.
    I don't recall any driveability issues past the initial 1k mile break in.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Thanks for the timely survey, as I am planning on (finally) getting around to my swap this winter. I originally thought I'd go with the AMD stg3+ although it sounds like there's a decent amount of chatter, of which I'm not a fan. My priorities are: good pedal feel with consistent and positive engagement point. Suggestions?

For some reference, I used to have an mkv GTI (which was fun) but I absolutely could not stand its clutch. The pedal was feather light and the engagement point seemed to float around. I want to make sure I avoid that type of clutch.

Im planning to part out if you need a manual drivetrain. Have steve ken kit too. I like my clutch setup id let you drive if closer.

I already have a manual parts car + the SteveKen kit. Only thing I don't have right now is a clutch.

Look into a ringer racing clutch.