Thread: *** what are the best rs6 rotors and pads***

*** what are the best rs6 rotors and pads***

I'm going to have to replace the rotors and pads soon on my C5 RS6 and looking for something that's good quality but also not the most expensive. The pads on there now were put on by the previous owner so I'm not sure what kind they are but they always squealing like crazy and super annoying so I'm guessing they are ceramic. The other thing I was wondering is if you always have to replace pads and rotors at the same time or can you just do the pads if the rotors are in good shape still cause I've heard a few different things about this? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by GmbH1; July 22nd, 2017 at 00:07.

Need some additional info. Which chassis? C5, C6, or C7?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

It's a C5 which is I think is the only RS6 in the U.S. isn't it?

Lots of threads on this. Google search 'site:rs6.com brake pads' or similar keywords.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26...-Hawk-thoughts

Zimmermann rotors are your best bet but can be hard to source. Check with user G2 on here; he might have a nice deal. I got my fronts from him and found my rears at https://www.europaparts.com.

Pads can be replaced separately if rotor is in good shape.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

You *can* machine the rotors if they are above the "machine-to" limit. It takes more time and patience than your average pair of rotors, but it can be done. We did my fronts on an on-car lathe but clearance was tight and took multiple passes. Saved me hundreds at a time when I really didn't have it, so I was grateful. Got about 4k miles on the new pads and they're holding up fine. Time to do the rears now.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

If you are looking to resurface the rotors check in your area for an engine rebuilder with a flywheel grinder. Grinding has several advantages over turning.
    Unlike turning which suffers when it encounters hard spots, grinding produces a level surface. It also allows you to creep up on the material removal stopping just as you get clean up..... maintaining maximum thickness. No risk for chatter and best of all, instead of radial grooves left by turning you end up with a bidirectional pattern which helps bed the pads.

Ok I will look into those options! Thanks

I did see Zimmermann rotors listed on EBAY when I was looking but wasn't familiar with the brand so I wasn't sure how good they were.

Zimmermann is the OE supplier. They will be identical except for the Audi logo on the rotor hat. Below are the part numbers I have in my files.

OEM Zimmermann
    Rotor Front Right 365x34MM 4B3615302A 100.3340.70
    Rotor Front Left 365x34MM 4B3615301E 100.3339.70
    Rotor Rear Right 335X22MM 4B3615602A 100.3342.70
    Rotor Rear Left 335X22MM 4B3615601C 100.3341.70
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

Just replaced my rears; wanted to machine them but they were at minimum thickness
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

FYI, I'm STILL on my first set of the two-piece front rotors. This was a group buy from YEARS ago, but I bought two sets of the rotors. All were then cryogenically treated before delivery to me. The first set is hardly showing any wear.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by CornersWell View Post
    FYI, I'm STILL on my first set of the two-piece front rotors. This was a group buy from YEARS ago, but I bought two sets of the rotors. All were then cryogenically treated before delivery to me. The first set is hardly showing any wear.

CW
    Time means nothing, how many miles are on them.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Quote Originally Posted by fukinavit View Post
    Time means nothing, how many miles are on them.
    I'll have to try and dig through my service notes when I can, but I'd say they went on >30K miles ago.

CW

I got a set from the PartsGeek for $987 or so for all four.

example: http://www.partsgeek.com/ss/?i=1&ssq...737878&x=0&y=0

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

No offense intended bethridg but the actual Audi boxed factory rotors are made by SHW of Germany. Zimmerman is an OE supplier of some brakes to Audi and many other manufacturers but not for the RS6. SHW also produces most of the other RS cars rotors as well as for many Porsche rotors in 2-piece applications.
    Zimmermann does make a replacement rotor for the RS6 which appears to be of good quality but they were never a OE supplier to Audi for the RS6 or any other RS application.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Eh, must have read something wrong somewhere along the line. Everything else still stands. Best replacement for original equipment available.

For rears, you can use Phaeton/A8 rotors. About $150 for a set. Will need to use washers to move calipers out a bit.
    Also, I believe they are about a pound heavier than oem.

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH1 View Post
    I'm going to have to replace the rotors and pads soon on my C5 RS6 and looking for something that's good quality but also not the most expensive. The pads on there now were put on by the previous owner so I'm not sure what kind they are but they always squealing like crazy and super annoying so I'm guessing they are ceramic. The other thing I was wondering is if you always have to replace pads and rotors at the same time or can you just do the pads if the rotors are in good shape still cause I've heard a few different things about this? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks
    I have OEM/OES German made rotors. Sent many sets around the country. Available 2 year // 24K warranty. Haven't sold Zimmermans for awhile as they just looked so-so in how the hats were finished. They don't offer rear rotors; can't get a matched front and rear set. Able to get all matched rotors with the 'generic' supplier. I am told they are Genuine OEM but w/o logo's. No reason to believe otherwise.

The noise is likely in part due to brake rotor. Rotors should be resurfaced whenever new pads are installed. The rotor surface becomes hardened over time, losing friction and creating noise. Re: other comments regarding resurfacing. Have had rotors turned both by lathe and flywheel grinder. The lathe provides a much more accurate parallel grind. This provides smooth braking. The surface treatment is not as nice of course. Last set I did took about 200 miles to bed in (even with a non-directional post treatment). Brakes were laggy but still worked well enough for daily driving.

The last set I had flywheel ground were out of parallel. The operator removed far too much material. Basically all but ruined the rotors. Done by a veteran automotive machine shop with a full service repair facility. A first and last time for that. There's just one shop in our 300K metro area that can/will turn RS6 rotors (that I know of). Slim pickings.

Recommend using new OEM/Brembo front caliper pad hardware. Helps retract the pads. I also normally stock them. Of course new pads, and new rotors (if needed).

Most are learning that the rear rotors are too worn to be turned - and not cheap. My RS included. Took several years but had a rear BBK made that has helped solved this issue. Overall braking is massively improved. Replacement rotor rings are much cheaper also.

Hope that helps.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com