2 13.33%
  • I need better brakes??

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Big Brake Kits coming to America

RS6 Big Brake Kits coming to America

Here's the new kit for my car:

Attachment 18095Attachment 18096Attachment 18097Attachment 18098Attachment 18099

I have been working on a rear C5 RS6 BBK For some time. It has been a challenge over the last few years to find a company that will follow through.

Kit:
    356x28mm 2 piece rotors to fit 18" OE wheels.
    6 Piston fixed calipers
    Custom carrier brackets
    Mechanical OE style Parking Brake
    Stainless hoses
    Sport pads

There are other piston and rotor options, including front kits. I wanted a more OE look with the rotor. At this point it's a functional prototype to be tested on my car. The kit should be an easy bolt on with no modifications. Not holding my breath, but they seem confident it's plug and play. Things can be changed as needed. Assuming all goes well can have extra kits made.

FWIW- Every time I REALLY drive the car, always feel like it would benefit from more rear bias and generally be more enjoyable. (If you've driven a 911 or R8, it's apparent how much the rear brakes matter). If my educated guess pays off, the other benefit should be alleviating some of the braking load off the front. And perhaps better straight line stability with reduced nose dive and pull. Which should lead to less loading and wear on the suspension. Better braking is always good of course.

Once installed will defer final judgement to my Formula / race guy. He does driver instruction at regional track events and races in the SCCA Spec Miata class. Those cars are a hoot and corner like crazy. He's also helped me sort out the finicky KW V3's. He just had a 458 Italia dropped off to fiddle with, among many other exotics and road race cars. I will refrain from name dropping for now.

Another potential benefit of the kit is the questionable long term supply of OE rear 335x22mm rotors. The car is past the Federal time limit for mandated parts supply (don't quote me as it's been years since I last checked). Either way we all know these rotors are unique to the car, and rather expensive. Last year my wholesaler was out of stock for about 9 months. I think more than a few had to buy OEM's from the dealer (or questionable "mods"). Another story for another day, but is a supporting factor with the BBK idea. Currently my car needs new rear rotors. Brake kit to the rescue. It's effectively a big discount NOT having to buy OE spec rotors again. Final nail in the coffin was always lamenting on the meager single piston slider caliper setup. Likely, a necessary evil for the parking brake. No more!

Overall it's very encouraging and a bit exciting to have a real option. Should have an update in the near future. Until then, this may be a hot topic but wanted to share it.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Sounds really interesting!

FYI, the pics are not working, just goes to an error message saying "Invalid Attachment", at least for me.

Thanks for letting me know GreggPDX. See if I can get it sorted out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbk1.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	18105
    Hopefully this works. Complete kit shown.

Name:	bbk3.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	18106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbk4.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	18107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbk5.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	18108

Name:	bb2.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	18109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bbk6.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	18110

Parking brake. Ready to ship.

Open to comments
    We'll be out of town on a long journey in the beater B7 A4 Avant MT6.
    Have a safe 4th everyone. Keep the rubber side down.

Has anyone ever looking into fitting rear Cayenne brakes to our cars? I used to have a set; though they'd make a nice match if only I could solve the fitment mystery...
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

I would actually be interested in this, if it is plug and play (mostly i guess) let us know how it all goes!

There is already big brake kits for these cars.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    I would actually be interested in this, if it is plug and play (mostly i guess) let us know how it all goes!
    That's great to hear. The idea is for it to be a complete and easy bolt on kit. With a parking brake, a major feature.

Most fixed rear caliper systems use either a drum-in-disc parking brake, or a separate caliper. This is near impossible due to space constraints on the RS6. The clever "line lock" system solves the problem. It uses the OE parking cable.

This is their first kit for the RS6 thanks to my persistence. The company is very responsive and enthusiastic in working with me. They otherwise do not sell on-line or to consumers since they are a manufacturer.

I am currently working on test fitment. There are some positional adjustments needed for proper alignment. Overall not a big deal by any means.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Has anyone ever looking into fitting rear Cayenne brakes to our cars? I used to have a set; though they'd make a nice match if only I could solve the fitment mystery...
    It's a common topic but haven't seen the application for our cars. I also considered it. Seat of the pants, as discussed with another who mentioned the same thing, is that those calipers are made for a heavy SUV. Issue being the piston size may be too large. And of course adapter brackets need to be made. And then there's the parking brake issue. Taking a guess here but would assume thee VW/Cayenne uses drum-in-disc for the parking brake, like most trucks have.

My concern boils down to:
    Excessive rear brake bias and soft brake pedal issues.
    Choice of brake rotors
    No parking brake
    Having to make caliper carrier brackets.
    End of the day costs: what will it take (time/hassle factor), what will it cost to have a functional system (likely with used calipers, or having to rebuild them).

For those that need or will need new OE rear RS6 rotors. Consider it a big down payment towards a really nice (and new) plug and play system (with more affordable replacement rotors). And being able to match a bigger front brake system later on.

I think this kit will nicely fill the void. Plug and play - with a warranty. And reasonable costs.

What about color changes to the caliper. I have red calipers upfront....
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    What about color changes to the caliper. I have red calipers upfront....
    There's a number of stock colors, including red. I chose blue so it would stand out. Was curious what it would like like on a black car. Paint quality is surprisingly nice, impressed.

There's also rotor finish options- drilled, slotted, drilled+slotted. The rotor hat color can also be chosen, various colors. I went with bare alloy silver to better match the OE fronts, including the drill pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    There's a number of stock colors, including red. I chose blue so it would stand out. Was curious what it would like like on a black car. Paint quality is surprisingly nice, impressed.

There's also rotor finish options- drilled, slotted, drilled+slotted. The rotor hat color can also be chosen, various colors. I went with bare alloy silver to better match the OE fronts, including the drill pattern.
    Are these kits ready for ordering? If not, when?

By the way, I am just a few short hours south of you in Arcata, CA.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    Are these kits ready for ordering? If not, when?

By the way, I am just a few short hours south of you in Arcata, CA.
    Have been out in orbit, sorry. Have my hands extremely full at the shop, on FB (several RS6 groups), and having some summer fun.

I've been driving the kit for awhile now. It just keeps getting better. Got some updated parts in, including sport and race pads. Even the street pads are great.

For those within range my thought is to offer heavily discounted installation. Pizza and beer after? The kit is pretty straight forward but want to ensure it's perfectly installed. I'd like to see these kits professionally installed, but of course that won't always happen. Have been approached by those interested in becoming a dealer both here and over seas.

Ideally would like to get at least 10 people on board for the first order. Single sales should still work however. Pricing is yet to be finalized, but will be extremely attractive.
    Cheers, G2/Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Have been out in orbit, sorry. Have my hands extremely full at the shop, on FB (several RS6 groups), and having some summer fun.

I've been driving the kit for awhile now. It just keeps getting better. Got some updated parts in, including sport and race pads. Even the street pads are great.

For those within range my thought is to offer heavily discounted installation. Pizza and beer after? The kit is pretty straight forward but want to ensure it's perfectly installed. I'd like to see these kits professionally installed, but of course that won't always happen. Have been approached by those interested in becoming a dealer both here and over seas.

Ideally would like to get at least 10 people on board for the first order. Single sales should still work however. Pricing is yet to be finalized, but will be extremely attractive.
    Where are we on this set up? I am looking on replacing brakes fairly soon (front as well) and was wondering about time frame. I am not in a rush since the car is not daily but i want to know before i would purchase anything.

You mentioned the braking keeps getting better, what percentage do you think the improvement is over stock?

Thanks for your time, looking forward to the next update!

Quote Originally Posted by rah View Post
    Where are we on this set up? I am looking on replacing brakes fairly soon (front as well) and was wondering about time frame. I am not in a rush since the car is not daily but i want to know before i would purchase anything.

You mentioned the braking keeps getting better, what percentage do you think the improvement is over stock?

Thanks for your time, looking forward to the next update!

There's a slight adjustment WIP but only because I want it perfect. Trying to avoid shim spacers like some kits need. Other than that it's fully functional. It's been used on my car all summer. Went for another weekend jaunt with the cool fall air and of course the engine pulls even harder this time of year.

Percentage wise it's subjective but must be at least 30%, but feels like 50%+ better braking to me. It's unmistakable at ALL speeds. Brakes are far more responsive, at least on my car. Whatever the #'s, it's an amazing change for the better. Braking is simply diabolical, at times I just laugh- it's got that involuntary giggle factor! (there's 3 RS6's here now so maybe it'll be possible to compare them, and another 2 or 3 in town)

Overall I am enjoying my car at a new level. The power, weight and overall braking balance afforded feels natural and OEM like. It's also nice to look at the car and see real brakes on it. Gear heads and console racers seem to notice also.

I think we have a viable kit for the RS6 finally.