Thread: Test firing engine after the O1E swap

Test firing engine after the O1E swap

I am getting ready to fire the beast up for the first time in about 8 months, and I wanted to check in with everyone's collective experience regarding initial start-up.

Engine work includes rebuilt turbos, cam tensioner pads, timing belt and all the various gaskets and seals.

My plan is to crank the engine for a bit with the fuel line disconnected to get some oil pressure. I dumped oil into the turbo centers, and all over the cams, but I'd like to get some up into the bearings before the engine actually runs.

I'm also planning to mount the lock carrier and hook up the radiator and fill with coolant, but I'm thinking I'll leave the serpentine off so I don't need to worry about the PS pump for now.

I just want to sanity-check with everyone before I start this thing up for the first time!

Am I missing anything?

If there is anyway to spin the oil pump without turning the engine over, that would be better than cranking to prime the oil passages....at least that's the case with pushrod V8s. I admittedly don't know much about Audis.
    1962 Chevy C10 w/ 401 Buick Nailhead
    1955 Chrysler C300 w/ factory 331 Hemi
    1999 Infiniti I30..............One of these is not like the others.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBayShop View Post
    If there is anyway to spin the oil pump without turning the engine over, that would be better than cranking to prime the oil passages....at least that's the case with pushrod V8s. I admittedly don't know much about Audis.
    I don't think there is, I believe the oil pump is chain driven off the crank.

I had a checklist in my head when I did mine but for the life of me I can't recall. I know I had everything pretty much buttoned up before I attempted anything. I think I just pulled the fuel pump fuse. The only thing I was really concerned about was how crucial it is to prime the new turbos. Best of luck!
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

There actually are two fuel pump fuses. IIRC if you pull just one out, it won't stop pumps from running.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    There actually are two fuel pump fuses. IIRC if you pull just one out, it won't stop pumps from running.
    Good to know, thanks!

I used to have these same fears when I was younger. The reality is...just start it up. It will have oil pressure in seconds, if it doesn't, shut it down and figure it out. Start it up and count to 3 or 4 and the light should go out....if not, shut it down...

As Mike says, just start things up. You haven't overhauled the engine, so there is no need to "prime" anything. There is oil in the galleries and pressure will be there in a couple of seconds.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I cranked mine over on the stand....not long, just enough to checked oil lines and gaskets. It'll make a bit of noise the first time you fire it after sitting that long. The heads clank. It's normal. It'll go away after the oil pressurizes.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I got really close last night to starting it, but ran out of time. It's been so long since the motor was in the car that I forgot just how cozy everything is!

I also got the clutch bled and there was a moment when I was testing the clutch that I started to pretend I was ripping through the gears and it felt really good! I was even making proper engine noises, so I pray nobody actually saw me playing in the car like an 8 year old!

It lives!

Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqNCahNfCU

Everything seems good, valvetrain was a bit noisy at first, but I suspect the cam tensioners needed to get pressurized, then everything quieted down nicely. The PS pump was whiny for a bit too, but once the fluid had circulated through, and I turned the wheel a few times, it quieted down as well.

So far so good, no signs of leaks, and dear lord does it sound nice when you rev it with open exhaust! The throttle-response is also really quick when you blip the throttle now. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting this think on the road!

For reference, I cranked the engine for a bit with the fuel line disconnected first. It served two purposes: move some oil into the engine, and move some old gas out of the lines. The tank was almost empty when I parked it, so I added 5 gallons of fresh gas last night, and I wanted to get that moved up to the engine.

03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory