Thread: Platinum warranty saved me big time!!

Platinum warranty saved me big time!!

So I brought my car in on Monday to address some oil spots I found on the floor of my garage and was told by Audi that they found a bad cam shaft seal and transmission pan gasket was leaking as well. So with the motor needing to be pulled to do the job labor time was quoted for 42 hours and my extended warranty company said they would authorize the repair to be done but wouldn't pay to have the motor pulled?! Now after I heard that I blew up on them asking how they can authorize the repair of those two areas but then not allow the tech to pull the motor as that is the only way to do the job. So after a little verbal battle and them realizing that's what had to happen I finally got them to agree to cover the labor which was important due to the job costing about $5,300. Now this whole thing ended up being a blessing in disguise cause I had been wanting to put in a set of gutted downpipes which they are going to take care of while they have the motor out so that saved me around $1,000 in labor and also getting the warranty company to pay for a new torque converter even though my check engine light wasn't on anymore but threw a code a few times and was stored in the system. So total cost of this visit was $8,700 roughly with the new torque converter and the cost of my warranty was $4,000 for a Platinum 3 year 45,000 bumper to bumper which I just purchased just in December. I've always purchased extended warranties cause I don't like to take any chances and just goes to show it's money well spent!!

Money very well spent! congrats on that and i bet you cant wait to hear that beast with the gutted downpipes! I thought about getting an extented warranties and your little story here makes me think i might check into it.

I don't understand. The cam seals can be changed without pulling the engine. You are far better off NOT pulling the engine. I had my cam tensioners replaced and of course all the seals and it did not require an engine pull.

But it is out, get new turbos (the guts are about $300 each).

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

The cam shaft seal was one of the problems but also the transmission pan gasket and a couple other areas they found leaking. I'm not a tech but that's what they said anyways.

You should consider all the usual suspects while it is OUT.
    Biftkin Tube is a must in the oil cooler system. 25 dollar part can KILL the engine.
    rear main seal and flange.
    re-seal the joint between the upper oil pan and lower surface of engine (liquid sealant, not a gasket) which is part of the seal on the re main seal flange.
    change your cam tensioners (expensive, but will kill your engine when they fail), this includes the 56 new bolts and the overall cam system seal kit.
    replace the turbo guts.
    consider oxygen sensors
    jet pump

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    You should consider all the usual suspects while it is OUT.
    Biftkin Tube is a must in the oil cooler system. 25 dollar part can KILL the engine.
    rear main seal and flange.
    re-seal the joint between the upper oil pan and lower surface of engine (liquid sealant, not a gasket) which is part of the seal on the re main seal flange.
    change your cam tensioners (expensive, but will kill your engine when they fail), this includes the 56 new bolts and the overall cam system seal kit.
    replace the turbo guts.
    consider oxygen sensors
    jet pump

Mike
    +1
    Bufkin pipe http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Aud...IYTtyQ&vxp=mtr
    This little part could save you an engine pull down the road. Mine cracked and I was losing coolant by hours.

Are there any larger turbos for the C5 RS6 that I could upgrade to?

Thanks for the suggestions and will ask my tech about those things and see if there are any others that should be done as well. Does anybody know if there are any larger turbos available for the C5 RS6 or any other performance parts that I could do while the engine is out?

Quote Originally Posted by audiprotn View Post
    +1
    Bufkin pipe http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Aud...IYTtyQ&vxp=mtr
    This little part could save you an engine pull down the road. Mine cracked and I was losing coolant by hours.

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH1 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and will ask my tech about those things and see if there are any others that should be done as well. Does anybody know if there are any larger turbos available for the C5 RS6 or any other performance parts that I could do while the engine is out?
    There are, but not with your auto transmission. Rebuilding your ko4s is the best option.
    Depending on the condition of your intercoolers, might wanna rebuild/buy new.

Typical stealership looking to profit from a minor item. They didn't need to do open heart surgery on your car. ALL of the cam seals can be done with the engine in place. Tranny filter and pan can be done in a couple of hours from drive in to drive out. They raked over the insurance company. No wonder our insurance is sooooo high on these cars. Dealers looking at everyway possible to milk extra money for a repair that didn't need anywhere near the hours they quoted you to perform the work. NO WHERE NEAR.

Glad you feel you got some good service and all, but if it was your wallet talking instead of an insurer you'd be quoting rape right now.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    . They didn't need to do open heart surgery on your car. ALL of the cam seals can be done with the engine in place. Tranny filter and pan can be done in a couple of hours from drive in to drive out. u
    that is what I said.....

As mentioned, the stealer won't fix small things like the Bufkin pipe while in there, http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Plus with a full motor pull you get the fun of hoping they put it back together correctly. Or maybe they're just billing for the pull?

Scroll turbo rebuild is a good option. You can upgrade the internal oil flow some, and a small size upgrade if you want to mess around more. Again, trans can't handle much more than stock turbos anyhow on a good tune.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The tech working on my car owns a C5 RS6 and has pulled his motor out of his car so he is familiar with the process. I'm also looking at getting the timing belt /water pump replaced as well under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    As mentioned, the stealer won't fix small things like the Bufkin pipe while in there, http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Plus with a full motor pull you get the fun of hoping they put it back together correctly. Or maybe they're just billing for the pull?

Scroll turbo rebuild is a good option. You can upgrade the internal oil flow some, and a small size upgrade if you want to mess around more. Again, trans can't handle much more than stock turbos anyhow on a good tune.