Thread: Inoperative Manual Shift

Inoperative Manual Shift

I've got a problem with my C5 RS6 that my tech can't figure out. Neither the paddles nor the gear selector work to shift the car manually anymore. At first the tech suspected a logic board -but it cost about $300 for the part and he was not certain it would fix the problem. This past weekend he took another stab at fixing the problem and in the process of diagnosing with some VAG tools go it to work momentarily. Now he suspects the problem might be with the clock spring. The theory is that if the CPU can't see the paddles working correctly, it won't allow any manual shifting. Bad news: apparently a new clock spring costs even more -something on the order of $500+.

Any thoughts on this theory? Any additional theories? Any idea where to source a clock spring for a less catastrophic price?

-=Chris
    Last edited by cch; May 8th, 2017 at 19:28.

Start by checking for any trouble codes in the TCU.
    The clock spring theory sounds unlikely. Does horn button function? Did he check continuity from paddles to the TCU?
    If he's 100% that it's the clock spring - you're better off getting a used one from the part-out (or, well, it's on sale at ECS currently for ~340ish: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...ng/1j0959654m/ ).

Quote Originally Posted by cch View Post
    I've got a problem with my C5 RS6 that my tech can't figure out. Neither the paddles nor the gear selector work to shift the car manually anymore. At first the tech suspected a logic board -but it cost about $300 for the part and he was not certain it would fix the problem. This past weekend he took another stab at fixing the problem and in the process of diagnosing with some VAG tools go it to work momentarily. Now he suspects the problem might be with the clock spring. The theory is that if the CPI can't see the paddles working correctly, it won't allow any manual shifting. Bad news: apparently a new clock spring costs even more -something on the order of $500+.

Any thoughts on this theory? Any additional theories? Any idea where to source a clock spring for a less catastrophic price?

-=Chris
    Aren't there micro switches at the shifter that control manual upshift/downshift?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Here's the wiring diagram for tip paddles btw:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paddles.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	18023