Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Modify RS6 Stock Exhaust?

Hybrid View

Anyone Modify RS6 Stock Exhaust?

I'm thinking about modifying my stock exhaust instead of doing a full non resonated system from Milltek and wondering if any of you have done this? I brought my car into a local custom exhaust shop and told me I could just leave the back section as the stock one appears to be free flowing and just delete secondary cat and mid resonator so straight pipe from the downpipe all the way to the back section. I just want it to breath a little better and hope to get the deep sound that I had on my last non res Milltek. Any thoughts or other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STOCK EXHAUST 1.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	18016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STOCK EXHAUST 2.jpg 
Views:	316 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	18017  

I just did completely catless downpipes, leave everything else...don't really need anything more than that from a flow perspective....I bought some stock downpipes that were cut off at the precats. So I gutted the precats and welded new stainless straight pipe on to meet the stock exhaust...

This is what mine has and it's great. I think anything after this you're just changing the exhaust note. I love how mine sounds. Not too loud but roars when I get on his. Turbos hiss too.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I just did completely catless downpipes, leave everything else...don't really need anything more than that from a flow perspective....I bought some stock downpipes that were cut off at the precats. So I gutted the precats and welded new stainless straight pipe on to meet the stock exhaust...
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR

Quote Originally Posted by AMDRS6 View Post
    This is what mine has and it's great. I think anything after this you're just changing the exhaust note. I love how mine sounds. Not too loud but roars when I get on his. Turbos hiss too.
    I would love to hear it sometimes if you are still in the Seattle area! Mine has the SE set up but i would love to hear how yours sounds for sure. If i remember correctly, you just purchased it not long ago, congrats!

Did the exhaust note change much with just doing the downpipes and any difference performance wise?

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post

Did the exhaust note change much with just doing the downpipes and any difference performance wise?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0540.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	18018

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0531.jpg 
Views:	462 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	18019

i modded my SE exhaust with an electric cut out, $60 off ebay with controller and a hard wired switch, i tend to leave it open most of the time as it sounds soooo much better now. i have the switch currently mounted in the trunk but plan on switching it to open when i select sport mode.
    2010 XC90 exec, winter machine (V8 of course)
    2004 RS6 official Canadian edition, Daytona grey, (best colour!), summer edition
    2011 Q7 TDI, general alrounder

Fukinavit, I like this idea as well and haven't seen anybody do this before. Nice work!

I'm planning to modify my stock SE system by just removing the muffler cans at the back. My understanding (based on very little actual expertise) is that the mufflers primarily reduce volume, and the resonators reduce the higher-pitch "raspy" sounds. This is why I plan to leave the resonators in place. I just want the car louder while avoiding some of the rasp.

I don't expect any of this stuff to improve performance, I'm just doing it for sound!

GreggPDX , I'm no expert by any means either but when I did the Milltek non resonated exhaust on my last RS6 it deleted the resonators it but definitely did it a higher pitch raspy sound and if anything else it made it a much deeper sound.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    I'm planning to modify my stock SE system by just removing the muffler cans at the back. My understanding (based on very little actual expertise) is that the mufflers primarily reduce volume, and the resonators reduce the higher-pitch "raspy" sounds. This is why I plan to leave the resonators in place. I just want the car louder while avoiding some of the rasp.

I don't expect any of this stuff to improve performance, I'm just doing it for sound!

Quote Originally Posted by GmbH1 View Post
    GreggPDX , I'm no expert by any means either but when I did the Milltek non resonated exhaust on my last RS6 it deleted the resonators it but definitely did it a higher pitch raspy sound and if anything else it made it a much deeper sound.
    Interesting, sounds like Milltek was able to tune the sound exactly right, that's the nice thing about going with their setup.

This article gives a nice overview of muffler versus resonator: http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustan...ifference.html

The challenge is figuring out exactly what frequency the factory resonators are designed to tune out. It's very possible they are targeting the "drone" rather than the "rasp".

Once I do the muffler-delete on mine, I'll definitely provide some sound-samples and feedback.

I just cut out my rear mufflers just after the brace cross bar with straight pipes and even reattached the stock tips to keep the stock look and it sounds amazing!!! Nice at idle and a nice deep sound at acceleration, no drone!! cost me 200 at a local muffler shop!! Totally recommended this cheap mod!

Quote Originally Posted by 04rs6cdn View Post
    I just cut out my rear mufflers just after the brace cross bar with straight pipes and even reattached the stock tips to keep the stock look and it sounds amazing!!! Nice at idle and a nice deep sound at acceleration, no drone!! cost me 200 at a local muffler shop!! Totally recommended this cheap mod!
    That's exactly what I want to do!

Do you happen to have any pics?

I did the same but since my lower rear bumper is custom i went with dual stainless steel tips. I've kept the factory tips on the factory mufflers in case I want to swap them back in.
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

https://youtu.be/lbq2p52Un3Q

This was my Imola Yellow " Fast Taxi " doing a run on the AWD Dyno.

3" straight pipe from downpipes back.

The higher pitched whine is the dyno rollers....

Turbo whistle can be heard at idle, nothing but grunt under load!

Steve
    "You have first to experience what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

Love the Imola! At first, I thought WTF about the "launch" on the dyno, but then noticed the drag lights and the simulator...I've personally never seen one of those "indoor" drag strips...