Thread: Traction Control light on

Traction Control light on

So it started with the Trac light coming on and staying on while driving and not being able to turn it off. Turns off with key switch to off. Now getting the ABS and BRAKE light flashing as well as the alert chime, flashes for 5 - 10 secs then they go off and the then the Trac light comes back on and stays on. No evidence of the ABS system engaging. Vag- Com says turn rate sensor (yaw sensor), I replaced it (this is the one under the rear seat). The issue/symptoms are still there. Any advice ?

TIA - Scott

Wheel speed sensor I believe, can be cleaned? Or replace...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Can Vag- Com isolate which one ?

Quote Originally Posted by cruzanrs6 View Post
    Can Vag- Com isolate which one ?
    Surprised it doesn't, if that's the issue, but I've seen this same thing over the years. You using the full Ross-Tech software right? One per wheel I believe, sometimes you can visually ID the bad one, or bad wiring.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

If the yaw sensor DTC is still there after replacing it - then it's either wiring, or ABS (ESP?) module had crapped the bed, I believe.

Brake light switch (by the pedal)
    03 Audi RS6
    99 Porsche 996 Carrera
    01 Audi S4 Casa Avant
    95 Audi S6 Avant SOLD
    95 Audi S6 rs2'd SOLD
    01 A6 2.7T SOLD

Follow-up:

I cleaned all the wheel speed sensors - some really had a lot of build up on the exposed metal piece. The issue is still there, I disconnected the ESP fuse - the ABS and Trac control lights are always on AND I still get a random alarm and flashing of the brake light. I'm going to take in and have it diagnosed.

Do you know if your brake lights work when pressing the pedal? Brake light switch: part# 3B0945511B
    03 Audi RS6
    99 Porsche 996 Carrera
    01 Audi S4 Casa Avant
    95 Audi S6 Avant SOLD
    95 Audi S6 rs2'd SOLD
    01 A6 2.7T SOLD

Yes Brake lights work.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    If the yaw sensor DTC is still there after replacing it - then it's either wiring, or ABS (ESP?) module had crapped the bed, I believe.
    Is the ABS module easy to swap?

Mine is just collecting dust while the engine is out, so if you want, you can try swapping with mine to test.

Gregg

Just the electrical box can be swapped relatively easily.

^^ What nubcake said. Swapping the "dry side" is pretty simple. The "wet side", not so much.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

So it turns out the ABS module is bad. Audi claims the entire unit has to be replaced. Some research that I'm doing seems the ABS electronic side can be replaced. Any advice ???
    TIA

You definitely can just replace the dry side, I did it. It's not hard, you just need to be a little bit creative accessing one of the Torx screws if I recall correctly. Also, you can send the module to a guy that rebuilds them rather than buying a new one. He charges a flat rate of $150 (shipped) for the RS6 ABS module. Check out cheapabs.com. He has a info packet with basic instructions on removing the module, a price sheet, and an order form.
    RS6 #1, 01E, 2.5" straight pipes, AMD Stage 1 6MT tune, 460awhp/530awtq on AMD's Mustang dyno. TOTALLED.. RS6 #2, Ebony Black Pearl on black/silver combination with carbon, up and running with 6 gears and AMD tune.

The ABS module is deceivingly more challenging than it looks to remove... Removing the front drivers-side wheel well liner provides access to the lower bolts on the module. You still need to carefully prey enough clearance (brackets, brake lines etc ) to wiggle the module up and out from the topside.

BTW, the car can be driven without an ABS module.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by P1054 View Post
    You definitely can just replace the dry side, I did it. It's not hard, you just need to be a little bit creative accessing one of the Torx screws if I recall correctly. Also, you can send the module to a guy that rebuilds them rather than buying a new one. He charges a flat rate of $150 (shipped) for the RS6 ABS module. Check out cheapabs.com. He has a info packet with basic instructions on removing the module, a price sheet, and an order form.
    That is just great! Love to see such industrious people providing such a service! Great to see!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Gentleman,

Thanks for all your input. I did reach out to Module Master and they can rebuild the electronic side for $300, I also found a guy in Ks (owns Cheap ABS, INC) - he charges $139 and has been doing these repairs for 9 years. I spoke with him and he would check the unit out first to verify it needs servicing/repair. I think I'm to give him a try. Sunset Audi wants to install an entire "used" unit for $600 plus 3 hrs labor. No warranty on the unit however. If it turns out that the pump/wet side is bad then I'll need to try to track one down. Apparently the RS6 uses a unique # that does not cross over to any other cars.

So this past weekend, I swapped out the "dry side" with a fellow RS6 owner's module. The swap was not too bad - remove fender liner and loosen up windshield washer fluid tank. I did have to to recode the unit - there is a good detailed Ross Tech You tube video on how this is done. Once recoded- all the lights have gone off (ABS, Brake and Trac Control). Car/ ABS seems to be operating properly. So I will send my unit to Module Masters - for $300 they will rebuild it and also provide 5 yr warranty.