Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Whooo' Under Throttle

'Whooo' Under Throttle

AMDRS6 mentioned a 'whooo' under throttle in his 'Beasts' posts. My RS6 started the same noise just recently, so I figured I'd start a thread. I talked to Addict Motorsports and they weren't sure what it is, but knew of a different RS6 with the same noise. They'll check it out the next time I am in.

Anyone have an idea of what this is?
    Topcat_92

Boost/air leak...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Boost/air leak...
    second that
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I had a SMIC hose come off before

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    second that
    ... actually twice (once on each side). Was fine unless I really got on it, then would get really loud whooosh (as expected). Easy to reattach.
    RS6 904747 | Daytona - Black | 10SecTune | Milltek Cat Back | Gutt'd DPs | trans tune | OEM RS4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post
    AMDRS6 mentioned a 'whooo' under throttle in his 'Beasts' posts. My RS6 started the same noise just recently, so I figured I'd start a thread. I talked to Addict Motorsports and they weren't sure what it is, but knew of a different RS6 with the same noise. They'll check it out the next time I am in.

Anyone have an idea of what this is?
    "Whooo" or "WHOOSH.."

The latter is a significant boost leak that is frequently caused by one of the hoses in the charge line coming loose and is immediately easy to confirm due to loss of engine output power. Otherwise, it's not as easy to diagnose with just the description. The latter has happened to me on all three of my cars and each time was due to a clamped connection letting loose under pressure vs. the hose itself letting loose. Quick and easy to resolve if it's a lower intercooler hose, or even an upper passenger hose. Less quick to resolve if it's driver side, and more time consuming to resolve if it's the smaller hoses next to the engine block.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Oh, sorry, forgot to ask.

When you get on the Throttle is there a little old man sitting next to you trying to say "Slow Down?"

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

When you get on the Throttle is there a Prius next to you trying to say "Slow Down?"
    FTFY... Too many green hippies here in Seattle, soon to be filled up with assisted heroin injection sites.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    FTFY... Too many green hippies here in Seattle, soon to be filled up with assisted heroin injection sites.
    HEY, you changed my quote! B(^#$(^(&*^! Little Old Man! Not a PRIUS!

Mike

I don't think mine is a whooSH, but a wOOOOO and doesn't happen every time I get on it. I think it's axle/torque related. Still have yet to investigate. The power is definitely there!

If it sounds like I think it sounds - then it's just a 15 yr old turbo spinning up.
    Nothing to be immediately concerned about, it can do that for quite a while before actually failing.

HEY, you changed my quote! B(^#$(^(&*^! Little Old Man! Not a PRIUS!

Mike
    Why yes, yes I did
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Turbos aren't very old
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Why yes, yes I did
    LMAO! made my day Buddy!

Mike

Leaning toward this now, just have to find time to investigate. It's gotten louder and the meth is going into failsafe. No codes so it's probably a hose leaking under boost. Will let you all know what I find.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    "Whooo" or "WHOOSH.."

The latter is a significant boost leak that is frequently caused by one of the hoses in the charge line coming loose and is immediately easy to confirm due to loss of engine output power. Otherwise, it's not as easy to diagnose with just the description. The latter has happened to me on all three of my cars and each time was due to a clamped connection letting loose under pressure vs. the hose itself letting loose. Quick and easy to resolve if it's a lower intercooler hose, or even an upper passenger hose. Less quick to resolve if it's driver side, and more time consuming to resolve if it's the smaller hoses next to the engine block.
    AMD C5 RS6 6-speed swap, PSS9s, 4:1 Center Diff, 515/635 pump/meth tune - RS6/K04 Turbos
    AMD B5 S4 Laser Avant 6-speed, Stage 3///AMD C5 Allroad 6-speed swap///AMD B5 S4 3L Built with 770XR

Almost always the hoses under the hood on the top of the IC's...that you can get to easy...you better hope it's not the lower ones...

It was indeed an axle. Ordering Raxles tomorrow.

No boost leaks but having meth issues. Car is still fast without the meth. Love this beast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	18032

The whistles go Whoooooo!

Diverter valves can also cause the whoooo noise FYI,
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement