Thread: Oil leak blues and a speedy sleeve??

Oil leak blues and a speedy sleeve??

Took the beast in for 75,000 K service and decided to do a few more things above and beyond the call of duty. One of those was valve cover gaskets (just damp)and cam chain tensioners. As often happens no good deed goes unpunished. They put the car back together and was running beautifully. Next morning oil on the floor. So upon inspection camshaft seal was leaking. Redid the seal and still leaking. Now the interesting/strange part. After another inspection shop is saying there is a small groove worn into the portion of the cam that fits into the cam seal and is causing the leak. So options seem to be new cam, let it leak or a fix the shop is calling a "speedy Sleeve" Anyone on the board have experience with these? Also full disclosure my car had 0 oil leaks when it went under the knife. So of course my suspicion meter starts jumping. Any chance the cam could have been damaged during the tensioner replacement. Any second or third opinions on my options would be appreciated by those of you so wise in the ways of the wrench. Thanks

The shop probably scored the cam when removing the original seal.

I've never heard of a speedy sleeve.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Neither had I. After reading on the Speedy Sleeve site it seems like a well made, tried and mostly true method. I'm a little worried about them actually getting it in straight etc with the limited working room in the RS6. If the cam has to come back out I'm leaning towards replacing the cam with a new one. Not in the mood to spend another grand on parts after spending nearly 10 K on the original service but might be better in the long run.

Is that's the one under hall sensor driver side?
    What seal brand do they used?

Its the drivers side intake cam seal.. Audi factory parts.

If small groove worn into the portion of the cam, seal can be re-seated closer to the edge.
    I would try this first, me 0.02

Andriy

I'll mention it to them. Thanks for the input.

Also, seal can be damaged by the sharp groove in cam, hard to doit from the back, that was mentioned on Audizine forum before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170329_124004.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	17962

Andriy

Yea doing anything from the back is a tough one. It was hard enough when the whole front of the car was off now it'sgoing to be even tougher. Makes me nervous I'll end up with the never ending oil leak, Bums me out that the car was drip free when it went under the knife.

For VC gasket and seals I used Blauparts, they thicker and good quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170329_130834.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	17963

Andriy

Wow that is noticeably bigger. I'll run it by them as well. Always that delicate balance between
    being helpful and telling them how to do it. Always easy to be the armchair quarterback when your not the one doing the actual work.