Thread: ECU Tunes and Knock sensor ?

ECU Tunes and Knock sensor ?

As a lot of the Tunes seem to require 93 octane or more,
    just wondering if the stock knock sensor is still active
    and intervenes in case of lower grade fuel ?
    Do not think one should be driving with lower grade fuel in this case
    anyway, only in emergencies.
    Which tunes MTM, APR >>
    Thanks
    Ivan

Some tuners mess with knock detection threshold and/or with amount/time of ignition retard due to knocking.
    I personally consider that a bad practice, unless it's a specifically build race car and the owner completely understands possible consequences.

But to answer your question - yes, generally knock sensors will still be active and react on bad fuel, but only as a "post-action", meaning that the engine will knock and then ECU will pull timing.
    The proper way to deal with that (if you want both options - performance with higher octane fuel, but still being able to use lower grade) - is to get a custom tune with switchable maps.

Thanks,
    Whose Tune with variable maps would You recommend, assuming stock ECU ?

Quote Originally Posted by eurovintage View Post
    Thanks,
    Whose Tune with variable maps would You recommend, assuming stock ECU ?
    As I'm a tuner myself, I'll obviously recommend mine.
    You can PM me for more info if interested.

But any reputable ME7 tuner should be able to do this, it's quite well-researched field by now.

Quote Originally Posted by eurovintage View Post
    As a lot of the Tunes seem to require 93 octane or more,
    just wondering if the stock knock sensor is still active
    and intervenes in case of lower grade fuel ?
    Do not think one should be driving with lower grade fuel in this case
    anyway, only in emergencies.
    Which tunes MTM, APR >>
    Thanks
    Ivan
    I have never heard of any of the 'common' tunes available for this car requiring 93 or higher. The car in base trim is specified to use premium fuel and that wouldn't change even with a tune. Your tunes will be able to eek out some additional power with higher octane level fuels (I know mine does), but they will not hinder using base premium. As for using a dual/multi map set-up, I well believe you're wasting your time. As I stated in another thread, even though you can track this car, it's really not suitable for regular use as such. That leaves it to tearing up the streets and highways at which point, you will be driving normal a good portion of that time and not want to fuss with flip-flopping just to get that sporatic thrill.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Actually MTM Tune requires 93. The idea on my end was to save money going to 91 or even possibly lower with special tunes,
    like AP has 91 or 92 or 100 Octane tunes.

You're generally fine on good gas, best octane possible. Unless you have a custom tune that is really pressing the limits...just add water methanol!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com