Thread: Your thoughts on NO TCU upgrade with ECU UPGRADE?

Your thoughts on NO TCU upgrade with ECU UPGRADE?

Hey guys, As I've been doing research for a ECU upgrade and talking to people I'm getting different feedback about the upgraded ECU performance if you don't also have the TCU mod as well. Some are saying that if you don't do both that the ECU tune will only put out a small portion of power cause it's getting cutback by the stock TCU and others are saying it won't cut any power back. Anyone have any feedback about this?

Thanks
    Last edited by GmbH1; March 14th, 2017 at 14:50.

Cannot recall name of the guy, but he's well known for his ECU tunes. He does NOT recommend the TCU tune. He did, however, have a different philosophy on generating bhp from the ECU tune. Can't remember what it was (advance timing v. turbo pressure increase?), though.

I've not pulled the trigger on an ECU tune from him. Very difficult to reach and slow to respond. Others had the same comment. But, he's supposed to be "the guy", now.

He posts here, but VERY infrequently from what I recall. I'm sure someone will chime in on this.

Edit: Just did a search. I think it's user 10secS4 that I'm referring to. Daz was also considered one of the tuning gurus, but he passed away.

CW
    Last edited by CornersWell; March 14th, 2017 at 20:17.

This makes no sense to me. TCU tune and valve body adjustments really tighten up the shifting, very nice option, along with raising shift points. Not only do you get a faster crisper shift, in theory since the clutch plates will contact each other faster there will be less wear as compared to a slower shift where the plates rotate against each other longer. And certainly with upgraded ECU hp/tq creating more wear and tear on the gearbox, trying to minimize that is important. More like a crisp manual shift than a long dragging shift that would burn out a clutch. The quicker shifting and higher rev points feels much sportier too. You could always just start with increasing the valve body pressure and see how that feels, certainly adds some pop to each shift!

Edit; to answer your question, no, you can tune and mess with the ECU software all you want and it will be the same regardless of TCU or no TCU tune.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I don't disagree with your logic. And for the few bucks a TCU tune costs, it's not like it'll break the bank either way. So, maybe why not try it?

Just saying that I remembered that it was not recommended by 10secS4. I don't know if any other tuner would agree.

CW

If you put a tune on the car you NEED a TCU tune to go with it. lswing is correct here.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Quote Originally Posted by s8prtotype View Post
    If you put a tune on the car you NEED a TCU tune to go with it. lswing is correct here.
    You don't strictly need it on this car.
    But yea, I think it's a good idea to get one - if anything, for raised shift rpm and wider powerband.

Well, just using my own experience after tuning the car and not doing the TCU. Trans started slipping, even with new filter/fluid and Audi replacing the converter not too long ago.

It's cool though, I now have some pretty solid trans solutions for anyone wanting to push a little more power through them. Testing the first round of parts soon.
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

Staying with AT trans S8prtotype or going to MT?
    03 RS6 Misano Red / Ebony - #905040 - In for the shit show

Car is staying Auto, First trans and converter is done and will be tested soon. Got some new goodies in these things that should hold up to more power

I was the second member on this board (after Marc himself) to run the '10secS4' tune. I ran it for Five (5) years on an otherwise stock car with high mileage, and continued running it for another 3 one two of my other cars (total oc 8 years running it). I drive these cars like the were built to be driven. In consideration of performance factors, I can well state you do NOT need to have both units recoded to work in unison. Yes, I have had a tranny failure on 1 of the 3 cars, but in no way do I assocaite that with the tune. It failed at similar timeframes as most peoples cars do, and had no update to the TC seal that is well known to create the problem. That aside, I cannot personally speak to the enhancements that a recoded TCU provides, simply because I have always been second in line to purchase one.... Lots of members on the board run one and speak well of the mod. I will be looking to add one at some point as I view it as an improvement to the base offering for certain.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Remote flashing for the TCU's is coming soon. Just give it a little time