Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 up for sale on eBay

RS6 up for sale on eBay

Hey all -

Just a quick FYI that I have listed my RS6 up for sale on eBay. Not sure if I am allowed to link to it here so I won't, but you can find it on eBay. Unfortunately have to part ways with it after a spark plug blew out a piston and I would have to do major engine repair. I've put a lot of money into it since I've owned it and it's in excellent cosmetic and mechanical shape (aside from the engine, of course). It would be a great donor vehicle for anyone already with an RS6. Check it out on eBay if you're interested, and if you have questions feel free to ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

Thanks,

Will

I can always use another one.

Where are you

I must be blind. I see 5 C5 models listed, and not one of them has a blown engine. Post a link.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Daytona in Florida

too far for me. I guess it will hit 7k

I'm in Gainesville, Florida. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252806854147?

I'm curious about exactly what happened. How does a spark plug blow out a piston?

I'm not 100% sure, it was explained to me by my mechanic. It seems that a spark plug blew out and stripped the threads from the piston.

Sounds more like a head issue, was your mechanic working on it just before it happened? Sounds suspiciously like a poorly installation at some time if it is indeed some threads associated with the spark plug.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    It seems that a spark plug blew out and stripped the threads from the piston.
    edit: apparently that is possible... TIL

In any case, a stripped head can be repaired by a machine shop fairly easily. Or you can probably find another head for $1k or less.
    Last edited by mrdave; March 13th, 2017 at 15:23.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I'm not 100% sure, it was explained to me by my mechanic. It seems that a spark plug blew out and stripped the threads from the piston.
    Conflicting descriptors. Spark plus can't blow out a piston. Pistons don'e have threads. If I was a betting man, what you are describing sounds like a spark plug blew out of the head and stripped the threads. This is entirely possible and is also repairable (Helicoil kit).

That aside, how come you haven't disclosed anything on the auction listing? The listing is void of any description?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

This happened to me where a spark plug blew out of the head and stripped the threads. Debris was found in my cylinder and ended up damaging my cylinder wall, loss of pressure. At that point my mechanic told me it would probably make the most sense to get a new block.
    Avus Silver: Viper ECU / MTM TCU / ACE TC / Rebuilt Trans/ PSS9 / AWE Uppers / Clear Corners / Carbon lip

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Conflicting descriptors. Spark plus can't blow out a piston. Pistons don'e have threads. If I was a betting man, what you are describing sounds like a spark plug blew out of the head and stripped the threads. This is entirely possible and is also repairable (Helicoil kit).

That aside, how come you haven't disclosed anything on the auction listing? The listing is void of any description?

In the auction description as of 10am CDT yesterday (3-12-17):

"For sale is a used 2003 Audi RS6. The car is in excellent cosmetic condition, and has been maintained and serviced regularly according to the factory schedule. The engine is damaged (a spark plug blew out a piston) and the engine needs repair as the car cannot run as it is.

This would be an excellent donor vehicle for anyone looking to do work on an existing RS6, or looking to make upgrades to any C5 A6. Additionally, if you have the money to repair the engine, it is a a fantastic car."

Since we're critical of anything less than absolute exacting semantics/descriptions, perhaps an explanation of a spark plus is warranted???

...A spark plug blew from the #3 cylinder of my high mileage 1986 Yamaha FJ1200.... Not sure if spark plug debris or threaded debris from the cylinder head caused cylinder wall/piston damage----either way, compression of damaged cylinder only recovered to ~80% after helicoil and required cylinder/piston R&R.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    In the auction description as of 10am CDT yesterday (3-12-17):
    I know I'm getting older a day at a time, but there wasn't anything in the description yesterday when I posted. lol

Happened to mine as well, the spark plug in cylinder 7 somehow broke its thread and destroyed the coilpack on the way out. Luckily, and big thanks to my buddy it was fixed for under $50 (not including new spark plug/coilpack). We had nothing to lose, so he went ahead and made new thread, using a kit from Napa. This was almost two years ago.

The unfortunate part of cylinder damage in these engines (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the alusil composition of the walls. Where many engines can be honed or bored over, these take some special kind of magic to work over the cylinder walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Fastguy View Post
    The unfortunate part of cylinder damage in these engines (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is the alusil composition of the walls. Where many engines can be honed or bored over, these take some special kind of magic to work over the cylinder walls?
    Last I checked the plugs and their mating threads are in the head so what that has to do with the cylinder walls needs some clarification.

I clicked to find out about the car for sale....as I have someone who has commissioned me in finding a nice RS6. Sad story here!

Somewhat ironic that in just this thread there are two people who have lost their engines to the "spitting spark plug syndrome". Furthermore, that myself made the DOA assessment and carried out the work to completion on one. It's a small world when it comes to RS6's.

It was pointed out the spark plug debris can and will (eventually) drop into the cylinder. Once that happens it's instant engine damage and a few moments later it's terminal. The cylinder wall becomes roughened, the rings can't seal, debris bounces around and may damage the piston and head or valves. It will take awhile for the plugs to become so loose for this to happen however. At the end the cyl. head will have all but lost all threads (as this one did). Tapping new threads wasn't a viable option either (a topic in itself). I have extensive pictures of said engine with my handy dandy high-tech boroscope. Not pretty, at, all.

And even if someone can hone/bore the block, then what? Buy all new pistons and rings, or just for one hole? I suppose it would sound kinda cool at idle with an extra lope perhaps. Or the compression ratio would be altered, perhaps causing Knock Sensors to either reduce or shutdown the related bank of cylinders. Professionally speaking no one in their right mind is going to fix one cylinder. And with the narrow bore spacing I'd question how much material is available. According to my machinist, who has been building race motors longer than most of us have been alive, it's a total gamble (and huge investment) to justify boring an aluminum block. Key concerns for me prior to the purchase of this car. I would pay handsomely to have an iron block option. Dang the weight issue, another 100-150lbs won't matter anyway (only 4-6% of the front axle load).

In my viewpoint it's crucial to replace plugs every 2-3yrs. Or 30K miles max. For those that are not pro techs, a good torque wrench is recommended (or simply having your hard working shop do it). This is one of the few cars I get out the overpriced digital Snap-On torque wrench that beeps and flashes it's disco lights at me (I have all 3: 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, plus an old Snap-On Torque Meter aka "torque dyno", including a 3/4" 550lb/ft 40lb monster and other fancy ones- even for tire valvestems)..... With that said, it's surprising how many loose or frozen plugs I've contended with, especially on late model cars. The plug may last 100K miles, but good luck removing them. So far in my experience it's the loose plugs that kill engines. And one of the most common DIY tasks that carries a huge risk if not done just so.

I see the car sold, congrats and sorry for your loss Will / Gator. I would have cried.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by audiprotn View Post
    Happened to mine as well, the spark plug in cylinder 7 somehow broke its thread and destroyed the coilpack on the way out. Luckily, and big thanks to my buddy it was fixed for under $50 (not including new spark plug/coilpack). We had nothing to lose, so he went ahead and made new thread, using a kit from Napa. This was almost two years ago.
    Did debris drop into the cylinder? Any current compression specs?