Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock RS6 rim weights vs aftermarket options

Stock RS6 rim weights vs aftermarket options

Searched but can't find much on this.

As an NSX owner I am acutely aware of what lightweight wheels can do to performance, and am a firm believer in lighter (and stronger) is better

The RS6 I am looking at has the option of stock factory rims, or 19x10 Rotiform R121s. Has anyone weighed the stock rims, and compared them to the aftermarket options?

Or am I overthinking this given how much more the RS6 weighs vs a 3000lb NSX? I saw one owner with Volk LE37s which I have had on my NSX, and that is great choice BTW.

Thx in advance.

The RS6 weighs in at around 4,222 empty, but less rotating mass can give you some slight pickup, think I've heard of a few folks pleased with lighter wheels.

For me, and just preference, the ride already tends to be firm on 18's with performance tires. What kind of suspension is on the car, stock?

I've wanted the look of 19's, but don't think I'll ever go there as the ride is too firm. Although my suspension is slightly firmer than stock.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

i have exact weight of the rims on my scale, search my posts, i am too lazy to find it right now
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

You piqued my interest and I have an extra wheel in my garage, so I picked it up with a handheld luggage scale (lbs).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170209_215629542.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	17861

just...wow. An 18x7.5 Volk LE37 weighs 17lbs, a 19x9.5 21 lbs....

Really good info for me, thanks. Oh, and newbie here, what size is that? 18x7.5?

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    You piqued my interest and I have an extra wheel in my garage, so I picked it up with a handheld luggage scale (lbs).

Name:	IMG_20170209_215629542.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	17861

Car is a manual conversion, KW V3s. i have yet tro drive it, but a good point.

Has anyone else experience to share on running lighter rims on the RS6?

Thx all.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    The RS6 weighs in at around 4,222 empty, but less rotating mass can give you some slight pickup, think I've heard of a few folks pleased with lighter wheels.

For me, and just preference, the ride already tends to be firm on 18's with performance tires. What kind of suspension is on the car, stock?

I've wanted the look of 19's, but don't think I'll ever go there as the ride is too firm. Although my suspension is slightly firmer than stock.

Quote Originally Posted by boca rat View Post

Really good info for me, thanks. Oh, and newbie here, what size is that?
    Yeah I knew they were hefty, but didn't realize they were that hefty. Stock wheels are 18x8.5.

edit: make sure to check out this thread if you haven't seen it yet: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...-offset-thread

I'm running BBS RS-GT's 19x8.5 and they are around 21lbs. Noticeably lighter steering than stock and tracks better on an un-even road. I would never go back to OEM wheels, they are pigs, Audi really should have put Forged wheels on the RS6, they put Forged wheels on my wifes A8 in 19",
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by boca rat View Post

Really good info for me, thanks. Oh, and newbie here, what size is that? 18x7.5?
    OEM rims are 18x8.5. They weigh more than what you run on an NSX because the car is 50% heavier... It's that simple. Can't compare your NSX to an RS6 - apples to oranges. I have run lighter rims on all of the cars here and it's been hit and miss on whether or not I end up having to repair or replace one every second season as a result of road carnage. That said, get whatever floats your boat. Opinions about wheels are like assholes. Everyone has one....
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

56 lbs even according to cheap bathroom scale with with like new conti DWS on stock wheel. Wheel/tire setup in my sig was 51 lbs new.

Name:	IMG_0257.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	17862
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |

Thanks for correcting me on wheel width, I did a quick google search and got 7.5, should have looked harder.

Interesting point bigglezworth, but an LE37 is a forged rim and Volk are excellent, very popular with race teams from what I gather. Very hardy and tough to break or bend.

What does the weight of the vehicle have to do with it? More weight on each corner? What lightweight rims have you tried?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    OEM rims are 18x8.5. They weigh more than what you run on an NSX because the car is 50% heavier... It's that simple. Can't compare your NSX to an RS6 - apples to oranges. I have run lighter rims on all of the cars here and it's been hit and miss on whether or not I end up having to repair or replace one every second season as a result of road carnage. That said, get whatever floats your boat. Opinions about wheels are like assholes. Everyone has one....

I recently acquired a used set of 18" SSR wheels from a friend who sold his RS6. I'm currently running them on my C5 S6 with DWSs. While I didn't weigh them on a scale, they are noticeably lighter than stock 17" Audi wheels or the 19" Rotiforms on the RS6A.
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

Not fair, i was trying to buy those SSR wheels at one point, black 5 spoke?
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Opinions about wheels are like assholes. Everyone has one....
    Not True.

(medically speaking)

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

I've wanted to get some nice BBS rims for years but every time I contemplate it I get the feeling the car will die three days later. So did the rim doctor thing for $400. and fixed them about 6 years ago. May do it again this spring when I get new summer tires.

My snow tire rims are looking beat.....winter is not kind to rims.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

No these are 6 spoke, grey with polished lip. They are drilled for two different sets of bolt pattern so sold for various fitments. I don't know where Mike got the wheels. He traded in his RS6 (for a B7 RS4) with the stock 9 spoke wheels, also has a set of Fikse 3 piece which I think he's using on the RS4.
    '02 RS6 Avant conversion
    '03 S8 Avus
    '89 964

I had 19x9.5 Volks on my manual RS6...HUGE difference over stock...I seem to recall over 15lbs per corner, rotating...

I do like Fikse wheels, excellent reputation, and especially since they were made just up the road from me. They have moved a little farther up the road, just across the border in Canada but still close.
    With that said the BBS wheels have held up great, I've had them now for probably almost 10yrs on the RS6. I did pull them apart last year for a complete cleaning. BBS said I can re-use the Titanium bolts just to Torque them to proper spec. I have always like BBS wheels. I these, a set of RSII's on the Cayenne, a set of RC's on the TT and all have held up great. I've been to their factory (Germany, they have a few around the world now) for a tour about 6 or 7yrs ago, impressive operation. I am also a believer in Forged wheels, and Forged metals in many applications for that matter, the engineer in me.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA