Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 manual conversion, help needed.

RS6 manual conversion, help needed.

Hi guys

sadly my box is starting to give problems, taking long to engage reverse, with a really hard jolt, and hard shifts while driving. It's also not dripping oil, but losing oil.

I'm living currently in the Middle East, so I'll need to ship the parts to me... which will add to the job.

there have been many posts, and I have looked through a number of them, I would just like to have one for myself, so I can track and talk about any issues I run into.

what realistically can I expect to pay, shipping costs and labor aside?
    what all do I need to make this work, and where can I get them?
    what manual gearbox options do I have (part number), and can anyone help me get one?

Can someone please comment on what it would take to properly fix the auto box. So I know what my option are before making a decision. Thanks guys

$2-4K for remove and replace, $2-5k for the rebuilt auto. Been through it a few times...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I just finished up my 6MT swap on my RS6. I highly suggest using the Steven Ken kit. The time savings and ease of install is worth it. Make sure to stay far away from TTV for the flywheel. It is junk, the bad flywheel caused me to r and r the transmission.

As for parts find a swap kit on this or other forum from a donor A6.

i just got back from Abu Dhabi and a manual RS6 would have been great on the highway out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Knowa View Post
    Hi guys

sadly my box is starting to give problems, taking long to engage reverse, with a really hard jolt, and hard shifts while driving. It's also not dripping oil, but losing oil.

I'm living currently in the Middle East, so I'll need to ship the parts to me... which will add to the job.

there have been many posts, and I have looked through a number of them, I would just like to have one for myself, so I can track and talk about any issues I run into.

what realistically can I expect to pay, shipping costs and labor aside?
    what all do I need to make this work, and where can I get them?
    what manual gearbox options do I have (part number), and can anyone help me get one?
    You're roughly looking at $4-6k for parts only.
    You will need:
    -ANY 01E with 4.11 final drive (if buying from EU, DQT code is a good option),
    -MT propshaft (or a spacer for the AT one - not recommended),
    -MT front axles,
    -Shifter & linkage, pedals, clutch cylinders, clutch line,
    -Some minor bits like reverse wiring etc etc.
    Here comes the cost variance:
    "Cheap" version:
    -Some manual flywheel. 10-bolt ones can be sourced either from old (C4) 4.2 S6, or from old MT S8, or the V8. Those will need to be modded for the RS6, though.
    -Clutch. There are relatively cheap and working options. B7 RS4 for example, with accordingly modded flywheel.
    -You will need to mod your engine block to move starter inwards, and have the transmission not bolted all the way around the bellhousing. Some may argue that this is not the proper way.
    Expensive version:
    -SteveKen's kit,
    -SPEC 3+ 2.7 clutch or something similar.

On top of that don't forget to include proper ECU software, all the maintenance items (and maybe bigger turbos while at it).
    I've had cars done both ways, both lasted, both are fine currently.

It's not cheap by any means, so it all really comes down to whether you like the MT or not.

I have found a number of recon'd Gearboxes here in Qatar, they are Audi boxes and are for the 4.2 V8. is there only 1 gearbox that fits the RS6, or is there a list of a few I can consider?
    Im waiting on the model number, to check if it will fit against what you guys tell me.

Hi Nubcake.

I would LOVE a MT transmission!!! I use to have a Corvette Z06, manual 6 with a 7.0L V8. that was a bucket of fun, and just generally unsafe.
    but it all comes down to $$$$$ i have other projects I would like to work on. and the Audi is a daily runner (or at least will be once its working again)

So if I can get an Auto box, thats in good condition... It might be the way to go.... maybe....

is there only 1 gearbox that fits the RS6, or is there a list of a few I can consider?
    Any 01E (that's the "family" designation) with the 4.11 final drive ratio will work. Here are some of A6 ones with "model" codes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01e-c5.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	17771

You can even fit the "wrong" final drive as long as you replace your rear diff with the matching one.

Also, 0A3 (more modern family) can be made to work, but this way is more adventurous.

are these all Manual or Auto boxes?

I have found a number of recon'd Gearboxes here in Qatar, they are Audi boxes and are for the 4.2 V8. is there only 1 gearbox that fits the RS6, or is there a list of a few I can consider?
    Im waiting on the model number, to check if it will fit against what you guys tell me.
    You will want an auto from an RS6, it's beefed up in a few places, and still weak. It's the ZF-5HP24A model. Here some more details on it from my website brochures. http://audirssix.com/index.php/extras

It may be possible to modify the trans from a 4.2 V8 A6, but I don't think so, and probably not worth cost/time. Just find a reconditioned RS6 box. Go on rs246.com, Europe mostly.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

are these all Manual or Auto boxes?
    01E manuals with matching final drive.
    Basically any one of those will be an (almost) direct fit, especially if acquired with everything I've listed earlier.

What Auto boxes can I use?
    thanks for all the help, its helping make my internet digging make more sense.

What Auto boxes can I use?
    thanks for all the help, its helping make my internet digging make more sense.
    Just like lswing mentioned, I wouldn't install anything other than RS6 auto box.
    EDIT: And I'm not even sure others will fit. AFAIK, RS6 has a bigger bellhousing (and it's not removable) compared to other Audi 5HP24A boxes. I might be wrong here, though.

I know that the 5hp24a was used in other Audi's and the bellhouse is bigger on the RS6 bur I dont know if that is Unique for the RS6.
    5HP24A[edit]

Four-wheel drive version used in Audi (quattro) and Volkswagen Passenger Cars (4motion) marques of the Volkswagen Group:
    1997–2003 Audi A8 (D2) 4.2 V8
    2001–2002 Audi A8 (D2) 6.0 W12
    1998–2003 Audi S8 (D2) 4.2 V8
    1999–2004 Audi A6 (C5) 4.2 V8
    1999–2004 Audi S6 (C5) 4.2 V8
    2000–2003 Audi A8L (D2) 4.2 V8
    2002–2004 Audi RS6 (C5) 4.2 biturbo V8
    2002–present Volkswagen Phaeton (Typ 3D)
    Input torque maximum is 430 newton metres (320 lbf·ft)

what other cars ran the 5hp24a box?
    im trying to see if I can locate one here.

They were used in Jaguar's, Range Rovers, BMW 5 & 7 series back in the day and others. Most all versions had problems if you check the forums. All forums recommend around a 40K change interval. I know BMW had a 'Fluid for Life" policy like Audi and they failed regularly around 100K. (I'm also a BMW club member).
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by HPO-DK View Post
    Input torque maximum is 430 newton metres (320 lbf·ft)
    stock, our cars are rated at 428 lb/ft torque. So Audi expected a few tweaks to support the added 110-ish lb/ft of torque? I wonder what the current 8 speed auto in the RS6/RS7 is rated at?

I remember my first Audi back in 1986; the 5000CS, and how it was "not possible" to fit an automatic with the Quattro drivetrain. I honestly wish this were still the case lol.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Hey guys,

im having an issue getting my hands on a box that can be shipped to me, does anyone here have either an Auto or manual box that we can discuss being shipped to the middle east?

I found a box, but it doesnt have the part number on it... but it has many sticker, do any of you know what any of them mean?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161206-WA0005.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	17772Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161206-WA0009.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	17773Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161206-WA0014.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	17774Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20161206-WA0015.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	17775