Thread: Looking at buying an RS6 01E conversion - questions on bad starter

Looking at buying an RS6 01E conversion - questions on bad starter

Seller states that he has been through a couple of starters now, known issue with the conversion due to heat issues.

It doesn't look like a lot of people with 01Es have this issue though.

He mentioned a heat shield, or a wrap for the starter,

Any comments before I just jump in and figure it out later?

Thx!

I don't understand why a Manual would have a higher failure rate. If anything you would think it would be the same or less as the smaller manual transmission in the back might even promote a little more airflow through there although the start is tucked in tight under the exhaust manifold. A heat shield from the top couldn't hurt although I ceramic coated my exhaust manifolds and they are noticeably cooler than stock.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Welcome, this issue has been discussed by a few people. There was a thread about starter issues last month, might be it I found, below. Ask the if the person is on here, their user name, then review posts also.

Use Google to search this site, example "site:rs6.com starter", just beware of bad links from Google, sometimes you need to go forward then back in your browser.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/33...t-for-01E-swap
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thx both, and thx for the welcome Iswing - I have been lurking for a bit, wanted an 01E after I saw the BaT conversion car last year, bid on it but not enough. Good idea on the username

Yes, searched but didn't come up with a whole lot. I'll keep digging. Thx again.

Quote Originally Posted by boca rat View Post
    Thx both, and thx for the welcome Iswing - I have been lurking for a bit, wanted an 01E after I saw the BaT conversion car last year, bid on it but not enough. Good idea on the username

Yes, searched but didn't come up with a whole lot. I'll keep digging. Thx again.
    Did you look at this link? Sure sounds like your seller...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...no-start-issue
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

While it's been a while, I never heard about using a Tilton starter and I seem to recall just using an A8 or S8 starter? I ran it for thousands of miles without issues, and I see the car is for sale in NY with almost 130k miles on it now and likely still has that starter?

wait ttboost where is your car for sale? can you share that link
    RS6 #1 904959, Daytona, Silver, tons of "stuff," went through puddle, dead engine, end of #1 for me, rebuilt by local enthusiast and thriving.
    RS6 #2 904568, Avus, Ebony, no stuff, stock minus RNS-E.

All manual swaps are for sale...just a matter of time

Quote Originally Posted by Dmb408 View Post
    wait ttboost where is your car for sale? can you share that link

If I was in a different place, I would buy this car back...

http://www.mjluxurycars.com/2003_Aud...NY_6208213.veh

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    If I was in a different place, I would buy this car back...

http://www.mjluxurycars.com/2003_Aud...NY_6208213.veh
    Who is EFI Express?? Thought you performed all the work yourself?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Who is EFI Express?? Thought you performed all the work yourself?
    Yeah..it sounds like someone told a little fib, probably to get it sold. EFI Express is Marc Swanson. He did the ECU tuning, so whoever owned it likely told the buyer EFI did "everything". That's my thought. Sounds better that a reputable shop did the conversion, rather than some backyard mechanic...

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Yeah..it sounds like someone told a little fib, probably to get it sold. EFI Express is Marc Swanson. He did the ECU tuning, so whoever owned it likely told the buyer EFI did "everything". That's my thought. Sounds better that a reputable shop did the conversion, rather than some backyard mechanic...
    Whats funny is Marc's shop is in his backyard....I got my tdi transmission from him he is a good guy and had at least one K24 6mt RS6 there. I did my conversion in my backyard and have been using it as a daily. Then look at Steven Ken he installed in his garage on jackstands. I think it comes down to documentation along with an inspection prior to purchase.