Thread: SSAC downpipes

SSAC downpipes

I'd like to hear folks experience with the SSAC downpipes. How do they fit? Overall quality?

i am considering upgrading the downpipes while my engine is out for the 6-speed swap.

Any experience with other downpipe options is certainly appreciated.

Gregg

Fit is good; you will have to adjust the driver side primary 02 sensor to clear the shift linkage. Either heat it up and make some clearance or buy an adapter to move it out of the way. Quality is more than acceptable for the cost. It ended up being a better option for me than spending hours gutting and replacing flex joints up my stock downpipes. I have no idea how long they will last though. Millteks would have been nice but are a little too pricey for my taste.

03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

It looks like the secondary O2 sensors are located upstream of the cats?!? I need to get through emissions testing, so I can't tune those out, I'd have to add some bungs downstream of the cats. Not a huge deal, I've got a MIG setup, but it's weird they would come that way.

How's the sound? What cat-back are you running?

O2s are in the same position as stock. Luckily we only have mechanical inspections here so I had the secondaries coded out anyway. Still have the stock SE cat-back exhaust. Sound is comparable to stock but with lots more turbo sounds. I don't know whether to attribute that to the lack of pre-cats or the entire downpipe. Cruising at highway speeds with the slightest throttle increase and you're greeted with the intoxicating sound of turbo spool.

03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

OK, that's really interesting about the location of the secondary O2, I didn't realize it was upstream stock as well. It must be measuring efficiency of the primary cat only. That still seems weird, since it would indicate that the main cat could fail completely, and the car would not know about it, which is what the secondary O2 is supposed to do!

I like your description of the sound, I'd enjoy hearing more of the turbo sounds, as long as it's not too obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    OK, that's really interesting about the location of the secondary O2, I didn't realize it was upstream stock as well. It must be measuring efficiency of the primary cat only. That still seems weird, since it would indicate that the main cat could fail completely, and the car would not know about it, which is what the secondary O2 is supposed to do!

I like your description of the sound, I'd enjoy hearing more of the turbo sounds, as long as it's not too obnoxious.
    The secondaries only compare to the primaries to verify that the pre-cats are working.

The old piggy pipe trick was to flip the main cats so the secondary sensors were after the main cats. I'm not sure you'd pass visual if you did this, though.

I did the same with my pipes on the 6MT avant conversion. Just heat it up a bit and inserted a 1/2 drive extension for leverage and gently bent the bung so that the sensor would not interfere with the linkages.

2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Just picked up a set after seeing a friend of mines RS6 while I was doing some work on it for him. quality looks pretty decent especially for the price. ill be coating them to try and preserve them for a little longer.
    they call me Tank

"The secondaries only compare to the primaries to verify that the pre-cats are working."

On many if not all ME7 and ME7.1.1, the secondary O2 also plays into long-term fuel trims. I haven't checked, but no reason to suspect that RS6 firmware is different.
    RS6 - Mugello Blue/Silver, still on DRC and hope to keep it that way... Added RNS-E
    '73 Jensen Healey, Lotus 907-Powered

Quote Originally Posted by RSSIK View Post
    Just picked up a set after seeing a friend of mines RS6 while I was doing some work on it for him. quality looks pretty decent especially for the price. ill be coating them to try and preserve them for a little longer.
    Where did you order them from?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggPDX View Post
    Where did you order them from?
    When I contacted SSAC directly they told me to talk with Sean @ Silly Rabbit Motorsport. Arrived in about a week.