Thread: Track weekend

Track weekend

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS6-2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	17780

Recently went to a 2 day track weekend at a racetrack in central California. Finally got to see what this beast can do. This is of course after alot of time and $$$ getting this pain in the ass car sorted out. The event was 2 days of classroom instruction, ride along with advanced instructors in their personal cars, and lots of track time with an instructor riding shotgun in my car giving feedback. It was a great way to up my driving skills and the first real opportunity to see what this car do at its performance limits. I've done a few track days in the past with other cars, but nothing like this. The few canyon runs with the RS6 in the past year with friends weren't real opportunities to get to the limits of this car. Fun, but not a chance to really see what the limits were. The weather was perfect. Sunny, dry, and mid 70's. There were primarily Audi's, other High end German cars, and a few all out race cars.

Overall, I had a blast, no crashes, no damage to the car, no cel, and I got to wring every ounce of performance out of this car. Mission accomplished.

Issues:

*Of course, in the final laps of each round there were issues with high operating temperatures and power loss. Not horrible, but I guess that power was down 25% by the last lap. I never overheated but the temp gauge was WAY up and I could feel the nuclear reactor heat coming off of it.

*Braking. I've got all new Zimmerman cross drilled rotors with Hawk Yellow pads. Braking was impressive for the initial and mid laps of each session. Towards the last lap there was fade. Probably 25% loss of braking power at that point and I had to really slow down speeds coming into corners and down the straights. There were 2 other RS6's there and one guy said he wouldn't take it on the track as his rotors warped every time he tracked it due to insane heat levels generated by track braking. I didn't get any warping on the rotors after this weekend, just a noticeable reduction in pad thickness. I made sure to do a few extra laps to cool down after the session was over to get those rotors to cool and not warp by parking right away.

*Power. I surprised a few RS5's, RS4's, and M cars on the straights. They didn't expect this old car to keep up the way it did. But of course this was only for the initial and mid laps. Power started dropping after that. I've got a REVO tune so I wonder if it contributed to overheating, as I know they run a bit lean. It was nice to open it up on the straights and not worry about cops or cars pulling in front of me.

*The new Michelin Super Sports, Koni Yellows turned to mid stiffness, Hotchkiss sways (front and rear), and the stock RS6 springs did OK. The new tires were amazing, but the stock ride height was just too high for the track. For the street the Koni yellows and stock springs are great. They have softened up over time and are less harsh, plus I like having the stock ride height for potholes, debris, etc. The heaviness and higher center of gravity of this car was definitely a hindrance. I think with some low coil overs it would have made a huge difference and allowed me to corner much faster. Even when I hit my lines just right, the weight of the car pushed me out and had the tires squealing a bit.

I rode with my instructor in his track prepped 2015 M3 and I was blown away. He's been tracking for 30 years and that nicely modified M3 was just an animal. Next I rode with another instructor in his RACE ONLY M series Z3. Not a convertible, but the hatchback. We are talking full race set up, full cage, race slicks, etc. We were pulling so many G's cornering in that little tiny gutted rocket that I almost threw up. A complete 180 from a big 4 door family sedan to a small 2 seater. If I were to get more into track events it would definitely be in a small tossable 2 seater instead of a big 4 door boat like the RS6. Maybe a TT.

They have another event coming up similar to this in the spring/summer. I'm probably going to sign up. I'm just worried about burning up brakes, rotors, pads, tires so quick. I can see going through 4 new tires, pads, and probably front rotors with 2-3 of these events per year. $500 event fee plus all of those items could make for an expensive few weekends.

Phaeton backing plates

sportec cooling mod

ross tech data log and add fuel

I've got a REVO tune so I wonder if it contributed to overheating, as I know they run a bit lean.
    Nice write up, thanks of sharing. I have the same tire/suspension setup, on soft, and it's great for daily backroad performance, even a bit stiff on bumps around town.

Not just a bit lean, I found with data logging and driving feel that my Revo tune was fairly lean, very hot EGT temps. You're missing some good power, and heating things up more than needed. Lean = hot = everything else gets hot...oil, coolant, turbos...

Once I got the tune fixed with more fuel it helped a bunch, then added the water meth for power holding in the heat and an extra little kick. Then I added a new transmission
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Phaeton backing plates

sportec cooling mod

ross tech data log and add fuel
    I've been wondering if I should just remove the backing plates for the track. I have the phaeton set up now, but the brakes still get damn hot.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

No don't remove for track

This car is a tank on a track. It holds it's own, but it's not meant for the harsh cornering and braking demands a track requires. The specific reason I run a separate car on the track. Leave the RS to the highways and for blowing around town.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I like the ideas of the Phaeton brakes cooling mod, sportec underbelly vents, water/meth injection, and tune fix. Though I hear mixed results on the Phaeton brakes mod. It makes sense design wise, but I'm unsure if it is definitively an upgrade. For engine cooling I was thinking hood vents would probably be the best way to go. I live in southern California so I don't have to worry about rain issues (severe drought). I've seen a few tasteful hood vents that would probably make a big difference. With heat rising, it needs a better outlet. When I opened my hood between sessions at the track to cool better, the blast of heat was crazy. Anybody on this forum want to chime in with results they have had with hood vents? and yes the harsh cornering and braking while on the track just felt abusive to this big/heavy car. But I will probably take her back for another flogging.

I have never seen mixed results on Phaeton.

I have 2 test mules with Phaeton. ??

dont discount the benefit of Sportec mod before you try it. 5 bucks in parts and no holes in your hood.

Phaeton, no backing plates, Brembo rotors, Hawk DTC-30, no side radiators, trimmed the fender liners for as much flow as possible, and a 500 pound freakin' diet. Never could have trusted her 2 days in a row in anywhere near stock form. Sportec...well, daddy threw the diaper away

There are days you have more power and breaking than you know what to do with. Thankfully, the tire wall I hit this day was super cushy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Portland Rain.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	17791
    Last edited by BradP; December 22nd, 2016 at 06:43.

I'm going to do a little research and see what the prices are on a Phaeton front brake cooling set up, the Sportec mod looks pretty easy and low cost, and if I want to fix the REVO tune what's the best way to make that happen? A local Indy shop does all the work on this car. At some point I will put in hood vents.
    I see you were tracking in the rain. There was a small chance of rain the second day I was at the track. I was curious to see how this beast would perform in the wet. No rain fell so I didn't get a chance to drive at the limit in the rain. We finally got a bit of rain here in Los Angeles yesterday and I was impressed at how well it hooks up under hard acceleration and cornering. The Michelin Super Sports seem to be able to do it all.

It's a detailed process to adjust revo fueling.

You need to add software and start to adjust wot fuel trims.

https://s4wiki.com/wiki/Lemmiwinks

Shop may or may not be willing to do these changes.