Thread: Bi-yearly maintenance time

Bi-yearly maintenance time

COLD weather upon us here locally and my alternator and PS pump aren't all too happy.... Not so soothing sounds makes it time to perform some outstanding maintenance. Going to overhaul the alternator as the bearing(s) are howling. PS pump was fine, but in the last week has taken to growling stupid loud even with a full resevoir. Could be simply cavitating due to air getting in somewhere, but in consideration of mileage, it's time. Have the front in service position to do alternator, so going to do the PS pump at the same time. Also going to do the idler pulley and serpentine belt to freshen everything up. I want to swap out my engine mounts with some of the aluminum billet units, but each time I go to purchase a pair, everyone seems to be sold out! Going to overhaul both turbos also. With the SAI removed, I'm optimistic I can remove both of them by reaching down behind with the sub-frame/powerplant dropped a few inches. Will eliminate having to yank everything which requires removing all the fluids at the front, harness, etc.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Wow, if you can do both Turbos from the top, even with the engine cradle lowered a little then you're my hero. Seems way too tight to get those sizeable Turbos out of there but let us know how it goes. As far as the engine mounts, I did the Stearns engine mounts along with the Apikol transmission mounts and would't want to go to a solid mount. Guaranteed to be a lot of drivetrain vibrations.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

no way, pull the engine and do it right.

change every seal.

change every bolt.

change every plastic part.

Spend 20 grand on parts. Bigger turbos!

DO IT!

You want to! You Need TO!!!

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

You don't need to put it in the service position to remove the alternator; just doing it for ha-ha's? PS pump I'm not sure.

Anyone know if you have to put it in svc. position to remove the intercoolers or can they be accessed with the fender liners and under tray removed? Ran into a leaky intercooler which is causing me to not be able to hit full boost and making an awful noise when I try... might have to wait until I do the t-belt in the spring if the bumper has to come off...
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    Anyone know if you have to put it in svc. position to remove the intercoolers
    Bumper yes, service position no.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
    You don't need to put it in the service position to remove the alternator; just doing it for ha-ha's? PS pump I'm not sure.
    Yes I know. I have stated such a few times. It's simply quicker and easier though to put front clip in service position to perform multiple repairs. It takes all of 30 mins to do, and things like the PS pump need it. Engine mounts will be easier, alternator easier, and turbos a must.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down