Thread: Readiness help; running basic settings for secondary air inj

Readiness help; running basic settings for secondary air inj

Gents,

Awhile ago, I accidentally broke a nipple of the N112 valve for the secondary air injection. In the mean time, I capped off the lines and just dealt with the light CEL. I have since replaced the sensor, with a new OEM.

Now I can't get the codes to go away. I'm getting insufficient flow on both bank 1 and bank 2. I clear the code, and within a few days it comes back. Well, time has come to get the car emissions tested, and it fails.

I have searched around and found a few topics on setting readiness, which were basically just go out and drive it. So, I ran auto scan, cleared everything, and then took it on a 130 mile trip. All the readiness set except secondary air and evap systems. I got a code of 0000 1100.

Today, I have been trying to force VagCom to run basic setting for the secondary air injection, thinking that maybe it won't set readiness unless the cpu knows the problem has been fixed. But I can't get basic settings, block 77/78 to run. I'm running the newest version of VagCom, with a licensed cable. (if that makes a difference).

I go into basic settings, block 77, and hit run test. Vagcom will take control of the throttle control, but nothing happens on the screen. Block 4 still shows test off.

I know this was a long winded question, but to sum it up, has anyone every successfully ran basic settings block 77/78 on their RS6?
    Last edited by kruat; November 26th, 2016 at 01:21.
    -Mike-
    03 RS6 Mugello/Ivory #905565
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I'll try and check. I assume you've read the threads about how to loop around the SAI without throwing a CEL?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

No, actually i dont think i have. By "looping" do you mean bypassing? Would that reset the cpu to set readiness?
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

And I can run the output test, and know my air pump works, the new check valve works, and i think my combi valves are fine as well. Prior to me breaking the check vavle, i had no CELs, and all 0 on my readiness.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Use this to search in google..."site:rs6.com loop SAI CEL"...something like that. Here's a link, Bigglez has some better in depth threads on it...

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/32...and-coding-out
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Okay, thanks for the link. I read through that, and while it makes sense, im not trying to bypass the SAI. I mean, i guess, if it makes me pass readiness, then at this point i dont care.

If i were to have AMD recode my ECU, to delete the SAI, would i be all 0s on my readiness as well? Anyone have experience in that?
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

I probably have a spare N112 if you need one.

PM me.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Thank you, but i do not think i do. Im 90% sure every component, down to even vacuum lines, are working correctly in the SAI system. I just cant seem to get the ecu to recognize that i already fixed the N112.

Back when i worked at audi, everytime i would replace a major component, id have to go into VAS and run basic settings, aka, basically tell the CPU that the broken component was fixed.

That is what seems to be the problem, i cant get VAGCOM to tell the ECU its been fixed, and to recheck readiness.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

Are you running stock ECU software or it's some kind of a tune?
    If it's the latter, it might have been done improperly.

Usually just clearing DTCs is enough to "let ECU know that the problem was fixed".

No im on stock tune. But am now thinking about getting a tune, and just coding the sai system out, if I can get some conformation readiness will be all 0s.
    -Mike-
    01 S4 Casa/sport/6spd

There's more to in than "one" or "zero". Basically, there are 2 flags for each system:
    ready/not ready and supported/unsupported. VCDS only shows the "ready" ones. But if the system is set to "unsupported", it will always report it as "ready". But this will not always automatically mean that you'll pass emissions, as some systems just have to be "supported". I didn't discover this on my own (never had any need to dig deep enough), that's what I read at nefmoto forum.

Long story short: setting SAI ready flag in the software is not that hard, but other systems might need more attention.

When is the RS6 (or any car) old enough to not need to pass emissions inspection? 25 years?

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,