Thread: Avant Manual Trans Swap Completed

Avant Manual Trans Swap Completed

A while back I posted about some clutch judder issue on the 6 Speed manual installation in my Avant. Someone commented that he had some of the same issue which was resolved when the engine tune was completed. Thank you for that info. When the tune was finalized it went a long way to resolving the clutch judder issue. The final part of the fix will be to put some fresh trans mounts in. There are a few internal gear box issues that also add slightly to some drivability problems. That will get sorted over the winter.

The car was in the middle of getting its tune when Daz unfortunately passed away. I was fortunate to have someone locally to continue the work. Nick Morceri at Turbo Concepts in Pinckney, Michigan had worked with Daz in years previous and was able to access his code and expand on the initial tune Daz installed. Nick also built my turbos. Opened up the stock housings and installed his own designed billet wheels. His tune has yet to be perfected on a chassis dyno but I would have to say out of the box it has created a really strong runner. He dumps torque in 1st. & 2nd. but 3rd. on it is a monster. I have never been in a car that pulls as hard in 6th. From cruise at 1600 RPM up it keeps you in the seat. I know that is a subjective statement but compared to a couple of my other cars it is the strongest. I have yet to do a side by side but I know it will out pull my 3.8 Porsche turbo in top gear. It is a lighter car, lower geared top and dynoed at 650 at the tires. We will have some real numbers later in the year, though I don't really need any numbers to back up what my ass tells me.

Point of all of this is, I could not be happier and just love having a wagon that can keep all the Shinny Guys in their new Mustang GT 350's honest. The other thing to note is that Nick is a terrific source for tuning now that our friend DAZ can not support his favorite marque anymore.
    Rick

Sound's like I need to hit Nick up to switch my Daz tune after the swap, Thanks for the "review"
    BB GT28's w/ Tial Wastegates, Full 3" Open Exhaust, Wagners, Billet Triple Disk Converter, Built Trans, Exedy Friction Disks, ECU/TCU Tuned, 450/AEM400/1000cc/AFPR, E85, R8 Coils, Nubcake Tuned. Fastest RS6 in the USA :)

I rolled on a GT4 doing a 60 to 160 MPH run on an newly paved and wide open stretch on the PA turnpike with mine.

The GT4 downshifted and I merely floored it, staying in 6th.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide