Thread: Needing Some Help

Needing Some Help

Have recently acquired this RS6 and trying to track down past owners. The car has Dahlback Racing Intake. Venair Boost Hoses. Billyboat Catback. Eibach rear coilovers and Lookings like Ohlins shocks with blue springs. The car was traded into Autobahn BMW a few weeks ago. Currently at 24K miles.

Any help would be appreciated. Would like to know what tune the car has and some history with it.
    Thanks

You might have better luck if you post the last 6 of the VIN. I could check my spreadsheet that I've been maintaining. But this one doesn't look familiar. The Unitronic logo on the engine cover probably points to what kind of tune it has. Curious what the two stainless(?) lines coming through the firewall go to. Looks pretty clean.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

WUAPV64B73N905313 is the vin. I am a Unitronic dealer and checked there first but nothing. Those stainless lines run to remote reservoirs for the front shocks. Look like Ohlins.

I do have this one in my spreadsheet. But the only info I have was from this post. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/89...l=1#post283971

Might try PM'ing the previous owner to see if they respond. Last activity was end of July.
    03 RS6 Avus/Ebony #905593 resurrected 6MT, 04 Avalanche Z71, 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe (351W T5), 04 Aprilia RSVR Factory

I've seen this car in person, and it's a beauty!

Quote Originally Posted by zinkwerks View Post
    Those stainless lines run to remote reservoirs for the front shocks. Look like Ohlins.
    Yes, they would be Stasis-Ohlins. Put them in my beast when the DRC crapped out, ultimately got rid of them too - pith to maintain (need re-charging), and had clunking noise in the rear that wouldn't go away. Stasis sent replacements, but issue remained.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Its a very nice looking engine bay,better than origina l

Those intakes beg to ask the question.....the pink part is an air filter? And is open to the engine bay? Does that not cause heat soak??

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    Those intakes beg to ask the question.....the pink part is an air filter? And is open to the engine bay? Does that not cause heat soak??

Mike
    A-yep.
    It's the infamous hot air intake mod.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    A-yep.
    I am not sure if you are just joking.....was a reasonable question I thought?

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Mike
    I think that's a bit of sarcasm. In all seriousness, it seems like a questionable choice to pull air from the engine bay on these cars. The snorkels are still in place, so some air should be coming from the grill as well, but depending on the design of the filter, it's hard to know how much air is coming from the engine bay versus the grill area.

It's fairly common to see these open-element filters in aftermarket intake setups on other cars, but all the decent setups I've seen will include some type of baffling to try and force the air to come in through the wheel-well or some other external area. Unfortunately, there is not really a reasonable way to do this on an RS6 unless you want to cut holes in your hood.

All that said, we do have the vented wheel-well liners in our cars, so maybe there is some cool air coming in through those. It would be interesting (and fairly easy) to do a before/after test with the Dahlback intake by logging IAT's for a while with the current setup, then wrap the filters in tinfoil to force all the air through the snorkels and see if the IAT's change. Of course, some back-to-back drag runs would be the ultimate test...

Gregg

A-yep.
    But it LOOKS fast!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Mike
    There's no way to say this nicely. CRAP air cleaner system that hinders total performance. The person that did this mod should be taken out to the bike racks and flogged. Tisk tisk.

To the OP, scrap that garbage, reinstate the factory (or a true cold air cleaner set-up), and swap out the Ohlins for something that is more reliable and performs better. Car looks nice and clean otherwise. Enjoy.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Mike
    Sorry.
    I thought the poor design of this piece is so obvious that my sarcasm would be just as obvious. :P

I have the same exact intake setup! Haha I thought I was the only one too

Looks like a nice acquisition with low miles; enjoy!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Intake does sound amazing though.....

Sorry.
    I thought the poor design of this piece is so obvious that my sarcasm would be just as obvious. :P
    Turns out, I was wrong.
    Or, well, maybe not wrong about this specific intake design - I just don't have one on hand to test out.
    But the stock RS6 C5 carbon fiber intake indeed is a fancy ... restrictor. More info in a neighboring (more relevant) thread.