Thread: Finally after 7 months

Finally after 7 months

Hey guys my RS was having a lot of battery issues and stuff. I changed more then 5 batteries. Everything was turning on in the dash. I knew it had to be the alternator so I recently purchased an rebuilt alternator and done the job last week. Now the car after 7 months is finally running strong again! I was surprised the alternator died so fast when the car only has 50k miles.

It's not only the Miles...it's the YEARS!

I had mine replaced at 100,000 miles in 2010.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Common issue - it's really exposed, regardless if the belly pan is in place
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

fortunately, the alternator is the easiest thing to remove from the car. I remember mine was rebuilt locally for stupid cheap - whole job came in under $200.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    fortunately, the alternator is the easiest thing to remove from the car. I remember mine was rebuilt locally for stupid cheap - whole job came in under $200.
    ??? How? Mine was 6 hours of labor to have pulled/replaced... Unless you just needed the voltage regulator replaced, I can't see any way to pull, rebuild, reinstall under 4 hours.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    ??? How? Mine was 6 hours of labor to have pulled/replaced... Unless you just needed the voltage regulator replaced, I can't see any way to pull, rebuild, reinstall under 4 hours.

It takes less than 3 hours to take it out and put a new or rebuilt one. Unless theyre taking it out rebuilding it on the spot and putting it back it can take 6 hours depending on the mechanic and their expertise.

I have performed a swap of an alternate in just a shade over 2 hours from drive in to drive out - and I don't wrench for a living. Three hours as noted above is a good basepoint that accouunts for unknowns. The alternator itself takes only 15minutes of that. The remainder is the access to the connectors and putting the clip in service position (which is something any RS owner should be skililed at after owning for more than a couple of years....).
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

It took me two hours to get mine out, lying on my back in my garage with basic hand tools. Pain in the butt prying that bastard outta there, but otherwise straightforward.
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold