Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to the forum

To the OP: What are the last 4 digits of the VIN? Anything below ~5500 is suspect for the torque converter / trans failure issue. I'm not doubting your friend, just saying that what we've observed of the RS6's we've all seen from years on this board. The torque converter is rated for higher TQ values than the transmission. The 5HP24A was originally touted by ZF as "lifetime fluids", and claims of 600lbft torque daily. They've since changed their tune, no longer saying anything about torque values, and surreptitiously putting out a tech bulletin notice to OE's that fluid should be changed every 60k miles/5 years or shorter for "harsher driving conditions". More to come, and welcome! I truly hope you enjoy your RS6!

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    claims of 600lbft torque daily
    Where do you get those skyhigh numbers from?
    "Input torque maximum is 420 newton metres (310 lbf·ft)" for 5HP24A at wikipedia.
    And from a random pdf: http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/5HP24A.pdf

That is definitely not the case for the RS6 as it comes from factory with 580nm, but it surely shows how wimpy the "ordinary" 5HP24A is.
    I'm fairly sure that the "max input tq" for RS6 trans does not exceed 600nm, just can't find any links now.
    Last edited by nubcake; October 13th, 2016 at 16:00.

Quote Originally Posted by nubcake View Post
    Where do you get those skyhigh numbers from?
    "Input torque maximum is 420 newton metres (310 lbf·ft)" for 5HP24A at wikipedia.
    And from a random pdf: http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/5HP24A.pdf

That is definitely not the case for the RS6 as it comes from factory with 580nm, but it surely shows how wimpy the "ordinary" 5HP24A is.
    I'm fairly sure that the "max input tq" for RS6 trans does not exceed 600nm, just can't find any links now.
    Can't find the links either because ZF has done their damnedest to get that data off the 'net. I'll see if I can dig it out of the extra info that came along with my RS6. A bit of docco from ZF, Cosworth, and QuattroGmbH that I found interesting. More to come if I can find it, otherwise that's the next owners' problem.
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

Quote Originally Posted by alfissimo View Post
    I am not real interested in the upgrades on this car but they are there. It's around 100 more hp than stock. I don't race and I don't drive like an a-hole. I treat my cars well. I am not an idiot either so I will do my homework and if I find a stock one in good condition I will scoop it up. But this one is in nice shape and everything done by a master mechanic who does know his shit.
    i saw someone say this earlier..if i would have let all the comments sink in too much i would have never bought mine..but i'm glad i did buy it.i came and researched the common issues so i knew what to ask when looking at them .

.i found a well sorted one with many new parts before i got it ..i'm still running the DRC and having no issue and like their performance , though i plan on adding hothckis sways . though i got burned on a slipping trans that didnt show its face until it was warm ..like 50-100 miles warm on my way home 1000 miles from purchase . ..after getting home i called the audi dealer that serviced it ,it's whole life and they werent able to send me copies of the repairs they were able to do a yes or no type question and answer session ..was verified the original owner had put almost $25k into it 1500 miles before trading it in ..all the work was done right before his after market warranty was running out , but after he got it back and the warranty was up he traded it in on a new RS7 "because the transmission was failing" was a 1 owner DR in kentucky that owned it and i got it from a broker for $12,900..which i still think i got a steal of a deal even with a trans replacement

..limped it around like that for 5k miles till it got almost undriveable and i had to use the paddles mostly ..i never got it diagnosed but i found a "level 10" Torque Converter with 800 miles on it ,for 300 bux (seller removed it for a manual swap)..found a member of my C5 facebook page that sent me a used trans on a pallet with 9 liters of liqui-moly tech1200 for 640 bux total (yay!!) ..and i have a friend that has a high end independent euro shop that did my labor capped at $2,000 total..though book called for 24 hrs or so ..so in all the fix cost me a little under $3,000.00 .that was almost 30k miles ago ..my car has been without issues ever since..i do also have a CEL that comes on for my SAI pump , but i clear it with my 6 dollar ebay obdll and free phone app every 2k miles or so ..hasnt come on in quite a while actually, come to think of it, maybe it fixed itself..lol.i have racked up a lot of miles in a short time 34-35k miles since first week of March (8 months)..that includes a very snowy northern michigan winter and a hot day auto-crossing (12 runs)

but these people arent lying , there isnt a conspiracy to keep people from buying them , they can get pricey as hell..i got very lucky on my 1 big issue and i also JUST happen to have an extra $3k in my bank after what was leftover from totaling my Phaeton on a deer..so it wasnt too painful ..otherwise getting burned on the trans could have been a major setback .but i also drive it like its a daily driver and not a race car , hit cruise at 5 over everywhere and take off like i'm running out of gas. i use the power mostly for passing and the occasional adrenaline flow to wake me up now and zen . i live in a very rural area (Upper peninsula of michigan "U.P." ) and my fiance' lives in a town i grew up in 180 miles away , so almost all of my driving is highway/expressway . the nearest stop light from my house up here in the UP is 55 miles away .haha , so all these factor into my positive experience owning this car

i'm stage 0 ..still have oem cats and wheels , pretty plain jayne ..i have been planning a stage 1 tune , but i dont want to hurt it, i dont do many if any WOT launches from a dead stop so i'm thinking a few extra PSI from my spools to pass people with less peddle effort shouldnt hurt my reliability i have been enjoying .i'm also in a no test state so i have been waiting for a tune to cut my secondary cats off under the floor without causing a cel to come on .

i will not put another auto in it shall it fail again and i recently picked up an '01 spt pkg A6 2.7 6 spd to use for winter and future trans donor..i have really been enjoying the A6 , it's stage 1 and is quite a quick car for a 2,000 dollar winter beater .gives me an idea of how fun the RS6 will be with that trans .i'm not too worried about breaking the o1e especially my driving habits but my driving habits will require a strong clutch to hold at speed when i pass etc..after the o1e is in i may play with a few more mods , but it's one of the few things i've owned thats actually "fast enough" and i like how tame /almost slow it feels just driving 1/4 throttle or so . quite a jeckle n hyde throttle ..haha ..i drag race snowmobiles and quads and have owned everything from a '72 GTO , road runner , highly modded 5.0 mustang (merc capri RS actually)..etc etc..so i'm not shy about power or fast cars and i really think for a practical daily driver its already "fast enough" out of the box

..but i wouldnt be afraid to get another , just make sure it's got a good story and a good history and dont drive it like you have to prove something , it should treat you well ..way less shop time than my subie phase ..never go back to those..lol