Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

New to the forum

Hello,

New to the forum. Mainly dabble in Alfa Romeo's and just sold my pristine 2005 Audi allroad 2.7T to move up the chain to the RS6. I will be purchasing my friends RS6 with 64K miles on the clock. He just replaced timing belt, water pump etc.. All OEM stuff, New brake rotors and pads (OEM), new Miltek turbo back exhaust, new intercoolers (larger), removal of fogs, and new MTM wheels. I will be making the purchase in Jan. Hope to gain a lot more insight on the car. Owning my audi allroad was pretty simple. Nothing serious even though I dumped 6-7K into it. Nothing major. My friend says no issues with the RS6 and really is more reliable than the allroad and easier to work on than the 2.7T. He has a huge shop in phx. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14393185_10208752893273346_726522978_o.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	17692  

Quote Originally Posted by alfissimo View Post
    My friend says no issues with the RS6 and really is more reliable than the allroad and easier to work on than the 2.7T.
    The posted photo looks like a fine example and well kept. Still has fogs though which you indicate were removed for the Wagners. That aside, I hate to break this to you, but you're friend is misleading you... This car is significantly more difficult to perform a number of repairs on. Not to say you shouldn't own one, but as they get older they require more maintenace - and unless you're a wrencher, be prepared to shell out some $$ for things. 64K is low yes. As you add to that, you will need to do certain preventative maintenance and yes - reactive repair....

There are a HOST of threads on maintenance and the like. Lots of suggestions on what to do at certain intervals so as to benefit $$ wise.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Yes, older pic. Intercoolers just installed. I don't remember details of them. Maybe I misunderstood him, I realize the motor is more difficult but from memory it allows more room to work. Maybe easier for him since he works on high end cars all day long and has 2 allroads, and this car as well as a slew of others in his airplane hanger. I will ask him to clarify. He knows what he is talking about, I know that for sure. I wrench a lot. Not a problem. Preventative maintenance is my middle name. I spend more money on that than actual problems. I know with the low mileage I drive as well that that 35K mile timing change and brake interval is not a big deal for me. I am looking forward to owning it as my allroad was fun but looking for something more unique like my alfas! Thanks !

Does the phrase "place engine in service position" mean anything to you? Good luck. But in all seriousness enjoy.

Go get the car now!

Let me know when you want to meet up at the Pavillions some Saturday

Post the vin in the sticky thread
    Last edited by DHall1; October 4th, 2016 at 16:19.

I have owned a coupe of audis, so yes. I know how to work on these things and my buddy will give me pointers if needed. It will be a learning process over the 2.7T and hope to enjoy many years of it and being on here. I am not some yahoo who decided, oh cool a fast A6!! I am in to rare and unique cars and what I love about this is the sheer stealth beast it is. I love that it was semi hand made, built by Quattro and cosworth. I also own an Alfa Romeo 164 S(QV) recaro and own a Alfa Romeo parts business. I also dabble in Audi parts (VAG) as well. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.

I am buying it in Jan. You obviously know the car?

..but from memory it allows more room to work.
    Couldn't be further from the truth, ha, wait until you open the hood! Other than that, welcome! You've found the source for reliable info. Looks like a very nice car, but much more expensive parts wise, like 2-4x, and probably that much longer to do the same repair.

Transmission, what about the transmission, and how good is your friend? Transmissions like to fail in these, and factors depending will run you about $5-10k for all the parts/labor. Lets just hope your friend didn't just install the Wagners, get a bit more power, and then start to have trans issues.

I'm assuming if he bothered putting Wagners on it's tuned? Thats another quick way to reduce the life of the current trans.

Also keep in mind the following may pop up soon, Google the terms; coolant pipe failure, replace with Bufkin pipe; CCT or camshaft adjust tensioners; TC/Trans; and always random sensors and wearable items.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Welcome! Here are some suggestions from a first year owner.

1. Take $10,000 from your savings and put it in the trunk. This will be used to run the car
    2. Enjoy!

You will be fine! In over 9 years of owning 6 of these I have not put 10k in the group.

There are still 3 in the garage out there

some say I don't drive all 6 at the same time but the law of averages still apply. I do drive them all just in varying degrees

I have owned a coupe of audis, so yes. I know how to work on these things and my buddy will give me pointers if needed. It will be a learning process over the 2.7T and hope to enjoy many years of it and being on here. I am not some yahoo who decided, oh cool a fast A6!! I am in to rare and unique cars and what I love about this is the sheer stealth beast it is. I love that it was semi hand made, built by Quattro and cosworth. I also own an Alfa Romeo 164 S(QV) recaro and own a Alfa Romeo parts business. I also dabble in Audi parts (VAG) as well. Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.

Ok. Like I mentioned I could have misunderstood him and or it is easier for him to work on. I am not worried too much, I have done all the work on my allroad and all my other cars. Luckily I get parts wholesale and have a good friend who worked for audi in Germany! Transmission is fine. He replaces fluid every year, TQ may have been replaced but have to confirm. Car is in stellar condition. He is a master mechanic and has done all the work. I am not really worried about it. I realize things will come up and that is why I am here. I am not worried about this car or the expense. My allroad was nothing but good to me. Had minor things to repair as I kept on maintenance and preventive maintenance hence no real issues. You know these cars can be a nightmare!! Mine is solid. Just sold it for $10,500 with 136K miles on the clock. I will know this car like the back of my hand by this time next year! Thanks

His quick response: Transmission is good. Wagner intercoolers because they are much more efficient than stock. It has full turbo back milltek exhaust. EVOMS BOVs. Software. For me easier but most people would disagree. Although those people probably never have worked on one. Transmission life will not be reduced due to wagners. That is false! lol! The intercoolers add power yes but not enough to effect the transmission. Transmission is designed to handle up to 700lbs torque. Poor service history is what kills them and this one has been serviced yearly!

Last edited by alfissimo; October 4th, 2016 at 17:38.

Transmission is designed to handle up to 700lbs torque.
    False claim.
    Everything else is reasonable.

So, let me ask you, what is the spec? Did audi max out the transmission torque. I just can't imagine them doing that. I believe the RS6 uses a larger torque converter which can handle 700+lbs.

Another source: Some consider the torque limit (durability in mind) for the
    5HP24A trans at 800 Nm (600 lbft), so lets stick with that. That puts the theoretical peak HP at 7000 rpm at 800 whp (with 15% loss a chp of 920 hp). Backing off and using 600 lbft at 5500 rpm (realistic goal? Maybe, if allowing the turbo to reach peak boost for the torque at a higher - say 3000 rpm vs. 1950) will equate to 620 whp and 720 chp). THAT would then be the 'right' RS6 setup for my taste.

You are excited about the purchase, and well you should be. I had mine from new for 10 years, let it go 2 yrs ago at 149k miles - still miss it. No transmission issue save TC replaced under warranty, but I treated it like a princess - no tune, never tracked. The comments that you are getting here are all valid - but hopefully will not apply to the example you are buying. Just be aware that if there are issues, they can be expensive to cover. Scour this forum as much as you can, the contributors are knowledgeable, sympathetic, and most important - empathetic!! Enjoy
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

I am not real interested in the upgrades on this car but they are there. It's around 100 more hp than stock. I don't race and I don't drive like an a-hole. I treat my cars well. I am not an idiot either so I will do my homework and if I find a stock one in good condition I will scoop it up. But this one is in nice shape and everything done by a master mechanic who does know his shit.

His quick response: Transmission is good. Wagner intercoolers because they are much more efficient than stock. It has full turbo back milltek exhaust. EVOMS BOVs. Software. For me easier but most people would disagree. Although those people probably never have worked on one. Transmission life will not be reduced due to wagners. That is false! lol! The intercoolers add power yes but not enough to effect the transmission. Transmission is designed to handle up to 700lbs torque. Poor service history is what kills them and this one has been serviced yearly!

Hahaha...this guy is full of it...the transmission and TC were beefed up a bit, but they have still failed regularly when a car is tuned to around 500/550 engine hp. I've gone through two transmissions. How does this guy not mention the brand of tune? Yes, Wagners only add a bit more power/reliability...I was suggesting that it was tuned, which will REDUCE the life of the trans, plain and simple.

The TC is fine on these, it's the small clutches in the trans that are the real issue. This trans is simply a beefed up version from the A6/S6 which was rated for around 350/400, just keep that in mind.

I'd still say get the car if the price is right, it's an amazing ride, although aging. IF you can do all the wrenching then you save %50 right away which is huge.

Most honest sellers on here would tell a different tale from the guy you're buying from...or maybe he isn't that educated in the details. Just a warning...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I suppose I should not have brought it up without really knowing all the upgrades and info to a tee. I have know this guy for years and he is honest and has been in business in Scottsdale for a long time working on high end race cars and high end cars period. I know he is not fooling me, I just have been texting him so the info may be limited. He use to run EVOMS in scottsdale as well before opening his own shop again. He is credible and honest I just assume I have limited info. I am going to see the car and talk with him this month. I am 2 hrs away.