Thread: Nice surprise this afternoon....

Nice surprise this afternoon....

....and not a good one.

Was driving along minding my own business as they say, and pulled in to get some gas when I heard a REALLY loud grinding sound coming from the front drivers side wheel. Having had this car apart more times than I have friends and family (so to speak lol), I was trying to visualize what had gone wrong. I had limited tools with me, so I jacked it up and took the wheel off. Everything looked tight and nothing appeared to have any damage. Was a bit perlexed. Buttoned it all up and drove a bit further. Noticed the noice disappeared when I drove straight, was faint turning left, and really loud turning right... Decided I wasn't going to figure it out in the parking lot so far away from home, and knowing that everything looked to be in order, filled up the tank and drove home where it howled as I pulled in to the garage.

Pulled things apart again, this time pulling the caliper and removing the rotor. Voila! A personal first for me on any of my cars. Rock stuck in the rotor and was rubbing against the backing plate. Didn't just 'pop out' either. Was really stuck in there. Bizzare how it got in there.

Easy fix at least.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	17653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	17654Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	17655
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Ha! That's a new one. At least it wasn't anything major.

BMW F8x M3/M4 owners often complain about this very issue, or at least similar (personal experience too). It is an awful noise indeed.
    On the BMW you only need to push the protection plate slightly further away from the rotors and all is fixed. No need to remove wheel and rotor.

I had a stone between my rotor and the back plate on Hour 2 of driving my M2 LOL, thought the differential was shot or something. LOL

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    BMW F8x M3/M4 owners often complain about this very issue, or at least similar (personal experience too). It is an awful noise indeed.
    On the BMW you only need to push the protection plate slightly further away from the rotors and all is fixed. No need to remove wheel and rotor.
    So you just leave the rock stuck in your rotor???

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I'd pull the engine just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Other_Erik View Post
    So you just leave the rock stuck in your rotor???
    O_E
    The rock itself never gets stuck on the rotor it seems, at least not like OP experienced here. It is somewhat loose between the plate and rotor, but can't get itself free. Falls off as soon as you hit the plate a couple of times with a long plastic/wood piece that fits between the rims.

Bizzare set of circumstances I think. I can see how a rock could get in between the backer and the rotor, get caught, and then fall out, but this was seriously wedged in to the gap where the ring is on standoffs from the hub to create a floating rotor.

At least it wasn't an engine pull no. lol
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Closer to the center so it cuts down on the rolling inertia (G Forces) but I think a run at 175~180mph would loosen it up?
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA