Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Oil Leak - Forum Help

Bad Oil Leak - Forum Help

Was surprised to see a significant puddle of oil in the driveway early last week where the RS6 usually parks. Called the wife to check the oil, and it barely made it to the dipstick. It's her daily driver. Went to her office and it took almost 2 quarts. Checked again the next day, 1/2 quart, and again the next. WTF?!?

University Audi was great to take it in late Friday, and get me an Allroad loaner. The call came this morning that they've isolated the leak to above one of the turbo's (not sure which side), but can't pinpoint where it is coming from without digging deeper and pulling the engine. $5k+.

Going to get it back to the house and park it until I can figure out my next step.

Help from the Forum: what are the potential leak points for this type of issue and what kind of hours am I looking at for a private shop or myself to get to and fix? Could this be a cracked block or something? The trans needs to be swapped, so I anticipate both will need to be pulled.

The wife loves RS, to the point that fixing it or getting another RS is in my future.

Thanks for any input, suggestions, and comments.

Scott
    Topcat_92

Let the pac NW owners chime but whats the name of the tuner up there? AMD?

Do a oil dye test before pulling anything! Find the source before taking it apart at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Let the pac NW owners chime but whats the name of the tuner up there? AMD?

Do a oil dye test before pulling anything! Find the source before taking it apart at all costs.
    Thanks DHall.

Yep, AMD: Addict Motorsport Design. (425) 424-2165. Already have a voicemail into them.

Other suggestions/people appreciated.
    Topcat_92

Good

run away fast from that dealer

Too much oil loss in too short of a time for a valve cover leak. The turbos are oil fed, so it's plausible a feeder or return line is failing. A rear seal wouldn't leak that much either. A dye test will help you a host in narrowing down where the leak is. Keep us posted.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Intercoolers? Mine would pool oil under the nose. Check the pressure lines going into the intercoolers too. They seem to get cruddy real quick and could be leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
    Intercoolers? Mine would pool oil under the nose. Check the pressure lines going into the intercoolers too. They seem to get cruddy real quick and could be leaking.
    Won't be intercoolers with the volumes described. Intercoolers only collect oil if, a) PCV system isn't scavenging combustion blow-by well enough and it is then condensing at the low point of the charge line, or thr seals on a turbo are worn out and allowing blow-by in to the intake system. It is normal for a bit if oil to leak out when you remove the lower intercooler hose due to oil ladden vapour in thr intake tract, but leaking on on the ground is not normal and suggests worn turbo.

From what the OP described, it sounds like back if engine are and not front.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

dye tests are invaluable. I had an oil leak that was so slow you could only *smell* it - it wasn't leaking enough to leave visible traces anywhere. Valve cover gaskets of course, but it did also lead to the cam tensioner, that was in danger of potentially failing - apparently part of it is plastic, and my tech found small cracks in the plastic.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Some usual suspects are easy to check:

-You could have a leaking turbo oil return line and those are easy to check.
    -The oil cooler lines and filter are also fairly easy to look at.

Supply line is a bit more difficult to get a visual on.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    but it did also lead to the cam tensioner, that was in danger of potentially failing - apparently part of it is plastic, and my tech found small cracks in the plastic
    Sounds like the cam tensioner seal, common I think, been replaced every time my engine was out. Yes, the feet/pads of the cam adjuster unit are plastic, and cost about $40. The units themselves are $750 a piece. I would not think they would be leaking oil as they're a self contained solenoid driven unit.

Make sure the pads are replaced on both sides, top and bottom! Common failure issue around 100k miles.

And yes, the VC gaskets love to leak down onto the exhaust manifold...smells like an Audi!

Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

What Bigglezworth said...also check the tensioner seal. Not an RS6 problem per se but an Audi/VW issue. Someone with a little time and a good video inspection camera should be able to find that issue quickly, the dye would really help too. Wish I was around but enjoying the hospitality of our far far eastern brothers in Afghanistan right now. Besides my RS6 is still sitting on the lift at home.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Sounds like the cam tensioner seal, common I think, been replaced every time my engine was out. Yes, the feet/pads of the cam adjuster unit are plastic, and cost about $40. The units themselves are $750 a piece. I would not think they would be leaking oil as they're a self contained solenoid driven unit.

Make sure the pads are replaced on both sides, top and bottom! Common failure issue around 100k miles.

And yes, the VC gaskets love to leak down onto the exhaust manifold...smells like an Audi!

well poop, I had the entire unit replaced and yep, it cost $750. That, plus the valve cover gaskets, took care of all oil leakage issues. Now I just have to deal with the damned output shaft seal, which has another slow leak.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    well poop, I had the entire unit replaced and yep, it cost $750. That, plus the valve cover gaskets, took care of all oil leakage issues. Now I just have to deal with the damned output shaft seal, which has another slow leak.
    I replaced the whole units just to get it done while in there, $1500 parts. So was only one side fixed? Get ready for the other side to fail, pads at least.

Rear output shaft out the back of the trans is a known issue, there is an upgraded seal. Was put into mine during last rebuild, not sure about the repair when in car.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Thanks for the input everyone. Great Forum.

With oil leak nearing Exxon Valdez levels, took the RS to Addict to finally take care of the transmission, oil leak, new intercoolers, O2's, timing belt, and misc. maintenance, along with installing the breaks/pads, MTM TCU chip, and Eurocharged ECU tune I've had stashed away for a while.

No word back yet on where they found the oil leak yet, but once I hear I'll post to the thread.

Can't wait to get the RS back.
    Topcat_92

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post

With oil leak nearing Exxon Valdez levels, took the RS to Addict to finally take care of the transmission, oil leak, new intercoolers, O2's, timing belt, and misc. maintenance, along with installing the breaks/pads, MTM TCU chip, and Eurocharged ECU tune I've had stashed away for a while.

No word back yet on where they found the oil leak yet, but once I hear I'll post to the thread.

That's a full refresh, should be golden when done. Make sure they replace the pads on your cam adjust tensioners, most seem to fail around 100-150k miles.

Assume you have the Bufkin oil cooler pipe done also?

Edit; what kind of trans replacement is going in?

Maintenance list here...looks like I need to add cam adjust info...http://audirssix.com/index.php/overview/maintenance

Quote Originally Posted by topcat_92 View Post

You're definitely in good hands with AMD.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Your RMS part just showed up in the FS section if you need it...http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/33...-assembly)-RMS

Update to Post:
    Hey RS6.com, finally getting a chance to post an update on this tread. The oil leak was from a cracked oil line from one of the turbos.

While at Addict, I exercised my check book a little (turned my head and coughed) and took care of a ton of stuff: trans rebuild, torque converter upgrade, replace inter coolers/cracked oil line, timing belt, Addict's ECU tune, MTM TCU chip, control arms, install new disks/pad I had on the shelf, plus an assortment of other 'while it's apart let's replace common wear' items. Assuming I am relatively good for the next 60-75k miles (6+ years at my pace), money well spent.

Through reading posts on this forum for years, most RS6 owners have or will have the debate/decision to make about investing in their RS6 vs. going another path that I did. For me, it started with 'what all-wheel drive can I get for $30k that would be equivalent to my RS after putting +-$10k into it?'. Considered the prior style S6 and S8, but not equivalent. The current S6's $ are too high. BMW x-drives?, just not the same. Too emotionally attached, maybe. Call me crazy, or Crazy Train, but the toothy grin I had hitting the freeway on-ramp was priceless.
    Topcat_92