Thread: 250,000 mile RS6, holy crap!

250,000 mile RS6, holy crap!

https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/Vehicl...83&RowNumber=0

Must be a record for the highest mileage RS6.

12 transmissions later.

Quote Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
    Must be a record for the highest mileage RS6.
    Nope....

Quote Originally Posted by mgmarsh39 View Post
    12 transmissions later.
    Funny. lol

I hit 250K on one of mine and it was still running strong. It was on it's second torque convertor, first (yes first) transmission, third set of turbos, 7th timing belt, 4th set of brakes, 4th set of control arms, and 5th set of tires. It ran the quickest of all three of the cars I had here.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Bigglezworth, how much cash did you have it that car?

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Nope....

Funny. lol

I hit 250K on one of mine and it was still running strong. It was on it's second torque convertor, first (yes first) transmission, third set of turbos, 7th timing belt, 4th set of brakes, 4th set of control arms, and 5th set of tires. It ran the quickest of all three of the cars I had here.
    Yep, seems like if you get a good one and take care of it these can run strong for a long time.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post

Mike
    I purchased it with 204K and in a span of 4 years added 43K to that and just over $6K put in to it. That included a set of slightly used tires, a set of near new front rotors and pads, a timimg belt, pump, rollers, T-stat, rebuilt alternator, DRC recall (free), lask adjuster pads, temp sensor, cam position sensor, pair of new CHRA's to overhaul the turrbos with, control arm kit, outer tie rods, intercooler rebuild, PS hose, and an EGT.

For me it was what I classify as general maintenance. I never lost a tranny on it (in fact it was theh factory tranny in it. Convertor was swapped at 100K along with both turbos. Gen 1 DRC lasted on the factory set-up until I elected to swap it out to the Gen 2 struts.

Car is still running the streets around here with some additinal $$ put in to it after engine failure though as the only thing I pretty much didn't overhaul while it was with me was the lower end. Next owner threw a rod and shattered the block... C'est la vie. Enter another $5K for a replacement short block and overhaul labour, and it's back to businessembarrassing the unknowing.

I had a 1" thick file on the car with all the receipts that went to the new owner along with receipts for all the items I noted above. When I sold it there was a recorded value ot $62K if I recall correctly - $1K spent for every 4000 miles driven....
    Last edited by Bigglezworth; September 16th, 2016 at 15:14.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Mike
    Sounds like all of it!!!!

It had 204,000 miles BEFORE the DRC recall! must have been bouncing all over the place LOL.

Mike
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Sounds like all of it!!!!
    haha. I sold the car for $5K less than I purchased it for after owning it for just over 4.5yrs. That coupled with the $6K in maintenance makes for $11K over 4.5yrs of FUN. I know many that aren't even close to that and have lost this in one month in repairs alone having work done by someone else, or by depreciation on another type of car.

It had 204,000 miles BEFORE the DRC recall! must have been bouncing all over the place LOL.

Mike
    225K actually by the time I did the recall. I contemplated not doing it as there wasn't a single leak on any of the dampers and the hoses had no cracks. lol

Yeah, I hear you Tim...I really didn't have a ton of loot into mine either, including the manual swap...If you can do all your own work, its not really THAT bad...but still bad...LOL...

I envy the folks who have the space and know-how to do all their own maintenance. Not including the cost of upgrade parts, I have a hair north of $17k into mine in repairs in the last 3 years, and none of those were "major" items. If you include the things that got replaced as part of the pothole incident, just shy of $26k, and I've put 12k miles on in that 3 years. Little stuff just adds up quick, even with getting damn good rates on service at a local mechanic.

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)

I think I owned mine for about 2 years...I only had about $5k-$6K into it, including a manual swap...not bad, but I knew it wouldn't get better, so I opted out...

I didn't "have to" put the $$ in to the ride, but I am one of those owners that can't sell something that requires attention. Thus after the one turbo failed, I elected to perform a host of preventative maintenance as part of having the powerplant out, and in the end sold it before I got a chance to enjoy. If I didn't do elective maintenance, I would have shaved off 50% of the costs over the 4.5 years of ownership.

I spent 10 grand fixing mine only to have it fail a few months later.....

It's a rabbit hole I wish I stayed out of. Could have put that money down on a new S8 or S6.

Now I only hope my mechanic is doing this fix on his dime........

Mike

I have been following your trek over the past few months and feel your pain. I sometimes wish I was closer to those having woes like this to lend a helping hand. As a general rule, it's proven difficult to do reasonably successful armchair diagnosis on this car.

I bought mine in Dec 2012, so this December will be 4 years. I did have my BBS LM 20"s and entire aftermarket sound system stolen out of the car, but that is a different story. Maintenance on the car has so far been limited to a Quantum Blue trans fluid change, I swapped out the DRC to Koni's, thermostat, a battery, an alternator, front pads, 1 set of tires (slightly used Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's). Some douchewagon neighbor of mine backed his truck up and crunched the driver's front fender so that needed a little work, and some bonehead valet guy used the side sill to knock snow off his shoes and broke the side sill, so that needed a little work too. All in all, its been solid over the 15k miles the car has compiled since it showed up. I did do QTP exhaust cutouts, 10secS4 tune, and an MTM TCU chip and the Koni's are all sorts of better than the DRC.

My A4 daily, on the other hand, has something wrong with it every month. Electrical, cooling, AC, stereo, water pump, trans, and on and on and on.

Coming up near term: front rotors, 1 EGT, intercooler rebuild (or wagners, they're leaking, still hits full boost, but there's a lag before it really comes on). Any good referrals on getting my intercoolers welded back up tight?