Thread: Power Steering Issue - HELP

Power Steering Issue - HELP

Oh Boy - what a weekend. Spent Sat removing the PS pump and replaced it on Sunday - then got everything buttoned - up. Everything seemed to be going as planned, I was not in any big hurries. So today I get the new pump back in, perform the (non-running, car on jack stands) lock-to-lock turn 10x, added fluid as needed, finally started car - it was noisy initially, added more fluid -and lock - to lock turns - things quieted down, let car idle for a bit. Shut off engine and finished the close -up (bumper back on, etc.). So lowered car down, pulled out of garage, gave her a needed bath (me too). So then go to head out to pick up pizza and beer - yeah!! Pull out of drive way- left turn (all is well) down another 100 feet - right turn and Woaa - the wheel is really tight - continue driving turning it side - to -side and it still hard, pull over check fluid - it's level is good. Continue to drive around neighbor hood for a bit - it's not getting any better, muscle it back home, put the front end back on stands - perform the lock-to lock with car running - it's better but know it's not right (Oh - forgot to mention that I'm really pissed -had to get the wife to get the pizza, growler fill place already closed). So I let the car sit for several hours - same 'Ol Sh__ !!!. So I give. I don't see any bubbles in the reservoir, but also don't see much fluid movement - had my daughter turn the wheel (when on the stands) - really did not see any change in movement, There are no leaks or pinched lines (that I can see), is it possible the pump is bad or is the steering rack a possibility ? I really appreciate any in sight.

Sorry to hear all that! I have not experience with that repair. Dreading the day the power steering rack goes. I was told it can be replaced without pulling the engine, but must be tough to do. Hope it works out for you.

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,

Aftermarket pump?
    Try to suck some fluid out of reservoir until you see filter, then check for movement. If no change I think pump shaft split, or bad pump.

Andriy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS6 View Post
    Aftermarket pump?
    Try to suck some fluid out of reservoir until you see filter, then check for movement. If no change I think pump shaft split, or bad pump.

Andriy

getting a 'new part' that is faulty is a nut buster for sure, especially if the work is as extensive as what he went through.....

Mike
    '18 BMW M5, '19 Porsche Boxster GTS
    (prior '94 325is, '97 M3, '00 A6 4.2,'03 RS6,'08 A4 Cab,'13 A8L,'15 Q7,'16 BMW M2,